DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Alkaline AA PSU

I finally made it as described here #1151. listened during the weekend. direct mode only caps out. and it sounds wonderful very clean, rhythmic and detailed. the base is growing up by burning days(new board). interesting to see how long will the batteries will last!

thought it maybe helps putting some fat caps on every battery pack? but not sure. damaging the chips?
they have their 10-100uf directly on the chips pins, any idea?

I finally made it as described here #1151. listened during the weekend. direct mode only caps out. and it sounds wonderful very clean, rhythmic and detailed. the base is growing up by burning days(new board). interesting to see how long will the batteries will last!

thought it maybe helps putting some fat caps on every battery pack? but not sure. damaging the chips?
they have their 10-100uf directly on the chips pins, any idea?

Hi, could you please describe your output arrangement, caps only, as I would like to ditch the opamp.
With pics if poss.:)

hi, would anyone know the ideal input spdif voltage that the dac would like to see.
I ask as I have taken a direct feed from my philips CD940 and a resistor in series and one to ground is specified.
If there is an ideal voltage then this would determine the resistor value.:)

I have done exactly the same as this except I have used screened cable.
Would there be any mileage in grounding the screen at one end to the pcb ground plane?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
hi, would anyone know the ideal input spdif voltage that the dac would like to see.
I ask as I have taken a direct feed from my philips CD940 and a resistor in series and one to ground is specified.
If there is an ideal voltage then this would determine the resistor value.:)

I have done exactly the same as this except I have used screened cable.
Would there be any mileage in grounding the screen at one end to the pcb ground plane?

Looks like that's a 74HC08 IC driving the SPDIF? Is it operating on a 5V supply?

If you check the datasheet for the CS8416 it shows how to interface with logic ICs. Page 50 here:
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS8416_F3.pdf

Basically just remove the 75R resistor, and leave the cap. However, if your HC08 is driving 5V, you'll need to drop this a bit as the CS8416 is operating on 3.3V, the maximum input voltage will be 3.6V. To satisfy this, I'd recommend replacing the 75R with a 1.5k and add a 750 ohm in series.

From the datasheet, looks like a valid low signal will be 1.65 - 0.1 = -0.3V-1.55V and high 1.65 + 0.1 = 1.75V-3.6V. Since it's AC coupled, any signal with an amplitude greater than 0.2V will work, but less than 3.9V.

You should ground your screened coax at one end, at the very least. Whether you ground it at the other end is more complicated. :)

hi, thanks for that info, I'm useless at data sheets but I see the resistor and cap you mention.
Here's a quote from Fikus whom I'm copying.

I wired the signal directly to the s/PDIF output - my newly installed RCA socket.
I tried it with the series cap and without, with the 75 resistor and without, and the conclusion is that no cap solution sounds best.
I used - starting from the source -> a wire, an L-pad to reduce the output by 1:4, -> 270 Ohms series to pin of RCA hot and from there -> 75 Ohms to ground,.

I believe it is 5 volts
If I leave the dacs circuit as it is, what would be the voltage should I use the recommended 270 in series and 75 to ground at the phono socket.

article here Fikustransport

Last edited:
hi, thanks for that info, I'm useless at data sheets but I see the resistor and cap you mention.
Here's a quote from Fikus whom I'm copying.

I wired the signal directly to the s/PDIF output - my newly installed RCA socket.
I tried it with the series cap and without, with the 75 resistor and without, and the conclusion is that no cap solution sounds best.
I used - starting from the source -> a wire, an L-pad to reduce the output by 1:4, -> 270 Ohms series to pin of RCA hot and from there -> 75 Ohms to ground,.

I believe it is 5 volts
If I leave the dacs circuit as it is, what would be the voltage should I use the recommended 270 in series and 75 to ground at the phono socket.

With a 5V input swing, the 270R, 75R resistive divider will give you a voltage swing of 75 / (270 + 75) * 5 = 1.36V. However, the current will be 5 / (270 + 75) = 14.5 mA (and the output won't really be 5V at 14.5 mA) which a lot more than it needs to be, but it will work as the HC08 can do up to 25 mA.

I don't see how removing the capacitor would make it sound better. This is a digital signal after all, and this capacitor does not add any jitter. Furthermore this would be going against recommendations in the datasheet.

Hi, thanks for the maths, I wouldn't know where to start.
The cap he refers to must be in the player as he isn't connecting it to any particular DAC.
I think he tried the cap in series as this must be standard practice.

So you would recommend I go with 270 and 75.:)

Last edited:
Anyone used Nichicon KZ instead of ELNA?

Wondering if anyone has tried The nichicon KZ in place of the Elna RFS, and ROA on the PS+ ? I'm trying to order all my parts from mouser. They don't stock those caps. BUT in the BOM it has them for a substitute, Will these sound ok? also will Nich. FW's sound oK on Digital 3.3v instead of the BC comp. everyone raves about the Elna's! I would like those but trying to make it easy ordering wise. It should be better than stock, YA. If anyone has any idea what these sound like post it up thanks! Basically every cap is going to BE NICH. FW,LF,and KZ according to BOM. Should i order these or stay away. I don't know a thing about caps. I just want some bass and less SSsss on the trebile. Thanks.

Hallo

but you have not compared the two types?
Hi, I don't think I need to.
My dac sounds very good in my Exposure system and sometimes I don't understand posts like the one above this one that there is a lack of bass or the treble is sibilant or mine gets hot or there are no dynamics.
Mine just gets on with the job of playing music and I'm loath to touch it in any way.

Basically every cap is going to BE NICH. FW,LF,and KZ according to BOM. Should i order these or stay away. I don't know a thing about caps. I just want some bass and less SSsss on the trebile. Thanks.

Since you asked, based on my subjective opinion, KZ will have deep sub bass, tight but moderate mid bass, a controlled but recessed sounding midrange and a tight and controlled HF.
Sounds good yes? Well, not really when compared to a better cap such as Elna RFS. RFS has a relaxed extension in both frequency extremes and a "flow of sound" that is much better.
Overall, KZ is a tight sounding cap. It might suit some, but not my favorite, too tight!
Why don't you order from Parts connexion instead?