DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Im almost done with my enclosure.
1elp3.jpg

nezyw7.jpg

What about this "finesse" clean up shunt? Finesse Voltage Regulator Noise! What do you think about it? I like simplistic designs, so I paid attention to it.

It looks good, but I have no experience with shunt regulators yet. Was thinking of doing a Salas or ALSW super reg at some point. This circuit is simpler so may be worth a shot. Are you bypassing or using the onboard regulation on your DAC? Speaking of which, looks like apoopoo999 above is bypassing his. :) Looks good!

Last edited:
I can bypass them if I want. I like apoopoo's work, the problem is that I planned my case for tube pream stage, tube rectifiers, big electrolyteless caps, chokes and... there won't be much space for so huge regulators.

A good thing is that much stuff will be on top, as it is with most tube amps. At least tubes, caps and power trannies will be. Caps are russian MGBO steel casings, they will have their ugly steel casings removed and be put into wood ones poured with parrafin wax inside. It does improve the sound and it's much more eye friendly :)

Last edited:
I can bypass them if I want. I like apoopoo's work, the problem is that I planned my case for tube pream stage, tube rectifiers, big electrolyteless caps, chokes and... there won't be much space for so huge regulators. :)

thanks, take a look at the power supply section of the Dac End AD1865 pcb. He managed to fit 6 salas shunt into a very small board. Someone should start a group buy for a pcb like this, its perfect for this DAC

apoopoo, do you mind sharing the circuit or its version (AFAIK salas shunt has few variations) and the value of the components for 3,3V and 5V output? Thanks!

Nice big casing though. Are you planning for lampization or a discrete output or sticking with opamps?

I used this as a reference for the 5v and 15v
I have the 3.3v at home. I will upload that later.

It sounds very good to me the way it is so I am going to leave the opamp output.

Attachments

• 3.3Vregulatormodules.jpg
    3.3Vregulatormodules.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 1,012
  • 5Vregulatormodules.jpg
    5Vregulatormodules.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 968
  • 15vregulatormodules.jpg
    15vregulatormodules.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 963
Last edited:
NebuK, I think the temperatures you measured are correct.
Consider the 1117-5: the dropout is 12-5 = 7 V, the current drawn from the AK4396 is 32 mA (from AK datasheet, typ. value), so the power dissipated in the 1117 is 224 mW.

The thermal resistance of the 1117 (junction to ambient) is 136°C/W, so the junction temperature will be 30.5°C over the ambient; assuming ambient is 22°C, the junction temperature will be 52.5°C.
The junction to case thermal resistance of the 1117 is 15°C/W, so the 1117 case will be 3.6°C less than the junction, that is about 49°C, very near to the one you measured (50°C)

You don’t have to be worried about these temperatures, they are quite normal.

Thanks for the mathematical clearification!

Many thanks for the schematics! I'll start building these and post my impressions.

I see you are using separate transformers. I presume it's from audiophile point of view. Have you compared how single vs separate trannies perform in this case?

Im sure a single transformer can be used for the 3.3v and 5v supply. Just use a 1a or 2a transformer. I dont think there is any real advantage for seperate transformers, my design is just overkill.

So I built the lampizator...
It's my first own experience with tubes. I have made only a hybrid tube amp before. I have a tube SE amp given by a good known guy, but I have to repair it.

The lampizator circuit is from lampizator.eu. Google "AK4393 lampizator". The only difference is, I use 5H choke instead of 40H and some smaller value caps in the power supply filter section. I will upgrade them when I will be able to.

So I decided to.....................
I can't write, damn, this thing sound like magic!!!!
Ok, the song finished, let's continue the typing.

So I decided to put everything on a test board just for fun and listen before assembly. I built the PSU first, then the output. I use 5Z4S and 6S6P tubes.
I was nervous, because I always have a first time plug in paranoia. I was thinking a cap will be faulty and pass HV DC to my system, even if I measured everything correctly.

But I plugged everything and it was visibly ok. I took my cheap HD201 headphones and check if a sound was going to play.
Great! Both channels worked. I saw "Enya" on my playlist. I put my headphones on and...

Woaaaaaaaa. My mouth was wide open and I felt so weird. I felt like swimming in a space of MAGIC. The music had its own space, the voice was distant, the instruments sounded like from few valleys ahead!
I can't describe how great is this. Some songs became so dynamic I couldn't even image they could be. Instruments I was trying to follow and I was losing before are apparent now, I catch them! The bass it's so deep I didn't think it was possible to be. The highs live! The voices are soft and sing infront of me.
Alright, 'naf talk.

I 'd like to HIGLY recommend the lampizator!!

I'm going to prepare my enclosure now and tiden up everything - short shielded silver signal cables, capacitors out from their steel enclosure, bigger inductivity choke, no electrolytics, salas shunt regulators for the DAC.

http://store.picbg.net/pubpic/90/31/846fa93d04199031.jpg
http://store.picbg.net/pubpic/0F/D0/9e1a910fe2880fd0.jpg

Last edited:
I use 5H choke instead of 40H and some smaller value caps in the power supply filter section. I will upgrade them when I will be able to.

Chokes are not easy to find, they are also relatively heavy. Expensive sometimes.

I'd say a CRCRC filtering stage, and perhaps even a shunt regulator after that, might do a similar job. Why don't you try it?

I like to keep things simple.
I got this choke for free and I can get more from people selling old tube TV for junk.
I need a low current choke, so a 40H 40mA can be bought for about 30 $.

Anyway, I didn't pay much for all parts
Transformer and choke for free (I'm lucky my father scavenged parts when young)
Russian caps for about 8$ equivalent
Tubes costs me about 9$
Wires free.
17USD to build the lampizator :)

But this is the test part only. I bought silver wire for 16 USD meter, 5$ wood for the enclosure, 25$ for interconnect connectors, switch, mains filter, power cables, connector.
And so on.. I go cheap, but make it possibly upgradable in the future, for a poor student like me :)

Last edited:
Of course. Let the weather warm a bit and I will work on the casing. In the meantime, I'm going to tweak the thing and listen.
There is no hum. Only slight hissing at incredibly high volume levels, where I won't be able to play music at all. On the max listening level, no noise can be heard.

The signal leads now are disgracefully long, but they'll be shielded, silver and short as possible for the final project.

My friend was very impressed of the sound. I played him Roger Waters - Amused to death track from the same name album. "The voices of the singer sing like they do infront of me", he said.

Last edited: