DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Sorry for the double post, can't edit the old one.

I have a question about this DAC - When no music is playing, with headphones I can hear a veryyy silent repeating, irregular rhythm noise - trrr trrrrr trr trrttt trrr trrrrr trr trrtttt. It's so silent that it can be barely heard with headphones, but I'm wandering what could be the reason?

Sometimes there is another noise which appears when someone has used the USB to charge a device (mp3 player). It is more audible, but it disappears when I restart the DAC.

Hi, can anybody address me to a reliable ebay seller for Cerafine and/or Silmic?

Second question: almost all high-end voltage regulators I've seen are single voltage type; but, in my opinion, op-amp should work better when powered with a dual tracking supply (less problems with common mode voltages caused by static or dynamic supply unbalance).
I'm planning to power the op-amp of the AK4396 board with a dual tracking Toshiba M5230 (output impedance less than 0.1 ohm up to 100 KHz, noise typ. 12 uVrms from 20 Hz to 100 KHz) with a separate supply (filtered with a C-multiplier) for analog +3.3V and +5V.
What do you think about?

Hi, can anybody address me to a reliable ebay seller for Cerafine and/or Silmic?

Second question: almost all high-end voltage regulators I've seen are single voltage type; but, in my opinion, op-amp should work better when powered with a dual tracking supply (less problems with common mode voltages caused by static or dynamic supply unbalance).
I'm planning to power the op-amp of the AK4396 board with a dual tracking Toshiba M5230 (output impedance less than 0.1 ohm up to 100 KHz, noise typ. 12 uVrms from 20 Hz to 100 KHz) with a separate supply (filtered with a C-multiplier) for analog +3.3V and +5V.
What do you think about?

I wouldn't buy any surface mounts from Ebay dealers. I've done it in the past and been sorry. There is real product on Ebay, the problem is you don't know who is honest and who isnt. Parts-Connexion has Silmics, and there has to be someone in Italy that sells them.

Last edited:
Interesting thread to follow, quite a read!

I noticed in the ak4396 datasheet it has a 'digital attenuator', but I can't find anything on it in this thread. Any particular reason? Not possible in combination with the ebay-board? No need? Or just the old 'digital volume control?', no way!

-Mike

Good point. If this really means "digitally controlled analogue attenuator", this is something for investigating seriously. If so, I don't think it is applicable for ebay kit. It would be a good subject of new dac project.

EDIT:

Page 23 states that attenuation is done via "digitally" front of dac which means it is not such thing like "digitally controlled analogue attenuator".

Last edited:

Parts-Connexion has Silmics, and there has to be someone in Italy that sells them.

Hi Fulvio,

in Italy there is AudioSelection that sells Cerafines but both HiFiCollective (UK) and PartsConnexion (US) are cheaper.

If you buy from PCX you can also buy PRPs and shipping is less than AudioSelection (9.5US$ vs 9.6€...), the only drawback is time: it will take a month to receive the packet...

I have purchased Silmic and Cerfine caps on a number of occasions from PCMCS ebay store in Hong Kong PC MotherBoard Capacitors Store items - Get great deals on Nippon Chemi-Con NCC Capacitor, Rubycon Capacitor items on eBay Stores!. I have very satisfied with price, quality and delivery time. All the Silmic II and Cerafine caps in my DAC came from there.

You could also try "Paradise of Hi End Audio" which is based in Cyprus Paradise of Hi-end audio components items. Umut, the owner, is also a member of DIYAudio and is well recommended. I have just taken delivery of some 4700uF Kendeil electrolytics for DC blocking on my SE power follower amp.

I have also used Parts Connexion with great success. The main advantage being that you can buy many other components.

Joe

... i guess there shouldn't be shorted pins on the AK, right?

On my DAC kit the PCB traces were shorted between pins as follows:
(this is correct according to the kit's schematics and my DAC certainly works – very well)

On the AK4393/6:
12 shorted to 13
15 shorted to 16
17 shorted to 18

27 and 28 are shown as shorted to GND on the schematic.

On the CS8416,
10 shorted to 11 (and GND)
20 shorted to 21

You should be able to see, between the pins, where the PCB traces have joined/shorted them.

Hi, been reading the thread with interest as I got a 4396 for christmas.
Mine was fully assembled.
I have just been swapping op-amps and I notice that mine looks different from the ebay pic I bought it from and from your versions.
I refer to all the orange caps.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Has anyone any thoughts about these caps, whether they should stay or be replaced with Wimas.
cheers