DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

You don't think it's the Obelisk 3X that is the problem(I only use the powerAmp part of it)?

/Bjarne

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/34985-ion-obelisk.html

If this is your amp, I think it is a very nice simple (in a good way) circuit that has minimal parts to interfere with the sound quality. As long as appropriately efficient speakers are partnered with it to provide adequate SPL during dynamic passages of music, and does not suffer from voltage rail sag under these circumstances, then it seems fine to me. I find the small signals are slightly more important to hi fidelity than the large signals (assuming the power amp is of good design). I have not heard your amp.

I trust you have upgraded all small capacitors inside it with film foil type, and all small electrolytics are fresh and good quality, and your DC blocking caps are film type?

Last edited:
Have you tried a Canare LV77 cable.
It has been recomended over the Belden, at a danish forum so that why I have chosen it:)

No, I didn't.

Why others would suggest a cable as the magic bullet astounds me.:confused:
The digital cable will 100% not be the reason for not hearing a difference. The issue lies elsewhere.

Erin,

• in my setup the difference between the two Belden cables I initially used is HUGE.
  • I'm not saying that the cable is a magic bullet.
  • Since I'm sure the DAC sounds better than most output stages, I've suggested to check other components in the chain and cables are among them...

You can do this and some people do, but you must be VERY careful to turn the volume down before playing a song, and not let your finger slip when adjusting the volume.

And it would be good to see if the volume works with SPDIF output prior to connecting direct to your amp.

I've just completed my AK4396 DAC. Unlike many here, I decided to keep the manufacturer's suggested LPF (modified to suit the 4396), changed the voltage rail caps, and the signal path caps, and upgraded the voltage regs. Didn't change anything else, as I'm not much of a believer in resistors sounding different ;)

I fed the output into a buffer pre-amp and then to an ICEPOWER 125ASX2 module, driving my old Linn Keilidh speakers. Source was a SONOS ZP90 streaming lossless audio files.

To say that I'm blown away would be an understatement. The low-end current delivery of the combo is impressive (speakers aren't the easiest to drive) with solid bass, even at low volumes. The handling of cymbals and high frequencies is sublime. I'm exceptionally happy with the results, and now just need to box it all up and clear the dining table of wire clippings ;)

The upgrade path...

I am deeply disappointed:(
I have listened and listened, my wife have been listening, my son with young ears have listened. We can not tell the difference between SBT analog output vs. this DAC.:confused:
Either there is a plug in my stereo or else this DAC is a "fart in a horn lantern".:mad:

My setup:
Homebuild PreAmp with opamps
Ion Systems Obelisk 3X with XPAK

/ Bjarne

Hi Bjarnevip - I can confirm for sure that the Ion Systems (Built here in Wales if I remember correctly!) gear is not on par with the level of quality that this dac can give out.
Once upon a time I was loathed to go the way of valve amplification, but I have proven beyond doubt that the kind of finesse that this dac can hint to will not be revealed by your solid state Output stage.
Try an pick up a cheap valve amp from ebay - or even have a loan/listen to one if you can access one. Your preamp upgrade should work well in this configuration.

Hope this helps, :D
-Andy-

Thank you all:D
Thus a small summary of the advice I have received:

* Try another digital cable
* Replace your pre amp
* Replace your power amp
* Replace your speakers
* Stay where you are - you can not tell the difference between SBT and DAC
* Go into tubes

Am I confused:confused: no way:hypno2:

I think I checked it with a friend:p

/Bjarne

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you all:D
Thus a small summary of the advice I have received:

* Try another digital cable
* Replace your pre amp
* Replace your power amp
* Replace your speakers
* Stay where you are - you can not tell the difference between SBT and DAC
* Go into tubes

Am I confused:confused: no way:hypno2:

I think I checked it with a friend:p

/Bjarne

hi Bjarnevip,

I think you have already learnt a good lesson. This is a big forum with lots of advise and views also the amount of variables is enormous. Just pick (or reject) the ones that suit you.

regards

Apart from mugging Santa, (Suggested by a football supporter at a guess.., but in Corwall??.) you could do always re-appraise and try swapping equipment bits with mates. I am constantly amazed how this shows up issues with what is comically called system synergy.... Experimentation does no harm unless you are a politician.... Or a pimp....

hi Bjarne,

i put this morning this comment the TriPath board that pepole there has been prizing in 2 years. i confess that i could not believe them at first, but i bought one. and, and that little board from china appear as countess from hk! it has been time to recap my old McCormack poweramp $1900, the new caps and other modds cost much more than this beauty and she out of the box just blow away that high-end patented design power amp in every manner!
the price is $40 shipped ww 2*100w on eBay. here is a the wiki thread.
and somewhere in the thread Sendller put it directly to this AK4396 board directly, no need for preamp either.
you can even begin with a 24 to 32v printer or laptop psu. $40 it's worth the risk, eller hur?
i mean every word in this post!

marryXmass

Attachments

• AA-AB32181_2_b.jpg
    AA-AB32181_2_b.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 747
hi Bjarne,

i put this morning this comment the TriPath board that pepole there has been prizing in 2 years. i confess that i could not believe them at first, but i bought one. and, and that little board from china appear as countess from hk! it has been time to recap my old McCormack poweramp $1900, the new caps and other modds cost much more than this beauty and she out of the box just blow away that high-end patented design power amp in every manner!
and somewhere in the thread Sendller put it directly to this AK4396 board directly, no need for preamp either.
you can even begin with a 24 to 32v printer or laptop psu. $40 it's worth the risk, eller hur?

marryXmass

LOL, I have that board also, and, just like this AK4393 kit, I upgraded the power supply caps with about 20,000uf per rail, and this improved it, I'll show you a photo if you want. but it does not sound better than my Emotiva XPA-2. I think it is pretty good for the small money, but does not play with the big boys. IMO, its still a toy amp. :usd: I can not personally recommend it, unless on the worlds tightest budget. Even then, I suggest to save money a little longer.

Last edited:
hi Bjarne,

marryXmass

Thank you Nosian, but I will never use a audio equipment with a fan:)

/Bjarne

LOL, I have that board also, and, just like this AK4393 kit, I upgraded the power supply caps with about 20,000uf per rail, and this improved it, I'll show you a photo if you want. but it does not sound better than my Emotiva XPA-2. I think it is pretty good for the small money, but does not play with the big boys. IMO, its still a toy amp. :usd: I can not personally recommend it, unless on the worlds tightest budget. Even then, I suggest to save money a little longer.

You are quite probably right. Tripath are Class-D amps I think, and they might be interesting for sub amps if they were powerful enough.

But I'm pretty sure that no class-D amp can't be compared to good sounding B or AB amps in high and mids. Even for about the same money I bought a MyRefC clone on eBay, also assembled, which outputs about the same power, and even this amp I think would blow a Tripath away in audio quality.

Even so it's outstanding that a class-D can sound that good, and many compact systems are using them.

BTW, have you got the Emotiva XPA-2 schematics or service manual? I'm curious to see what's inside them.