DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
For those of us who are sensitive to the high frequency drawbacks of delta-sigma dacs like cs4398, wolfson, etc., who also want 24/96 capability the AKMs hit the mark. No matter the gear, delta-sigmas just don't sound 'natural' to me like the venerable TDA/AD1865/pcm1704, etc dacs. For those who are immune to it I can see how chips like cs4398 would sound better.

OK I am not a native english speaker but I will try again:

- CS4398/WM8740 = delta sigma (cheap)
- AK4393/5/6 = delta sigma (cheap)

So they can be compared.

- TDA1541A/PCM1704/AD1865 = R2R or dynamic element matching (expensive)

So they can not be compared in an honest way to sigma delta. Of course they can be compared soundwise if one wishes but they are very different technically. Till now they are better as most of us know but time will tell if it stays that way. They should be better too as they're more expensive and often need more than 1 power supply voltage etc. They were designed for performance and not to be cheaper than other chips.

I was taught to compare apples with apples.

Last edited:
OK I am not a native english speaker but I will try again:

- CS4398/WM8740 = delta sigma (cheap)
- AK4393/5/6 = delta sigma (cheap)

So they can be compared.

- TDA1541A/PCM1704/AD1865 = R2R or dynamic element matching (expensive)

So they can not be compared in an honest way to sigma delta. Of course they can be compared soundwise if one wishes but they are very different technically. Till now they are better as most of us know.

I was taught to compare apples with apples.

I like the witty end touches.

The AK4396 as I understand it is designed to emulate the older multibit dacs, it is not the same as cs4398, etc - hence the 'miracle dac' tag associated with it. At least that is the perspective AKM has taken of their design. If you disagree with the categorization, what can I say. I believe they succeeded based on my comparisons.

And note I said 'like the cs4398, etc. ' earlier.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
First line in the datasheet says delta sigma in greek symbols.

I guess the marketing guys know we like the words "multi bit". Maybe Wolfson will design a sigma delta WM8745 in the future based on "superior TDA dynamic element matching techniques" and call it "Godsend" DAC ;)

Last edited:
I just completed my AK4395 version of this DAC with opa827. I used ClaveFreman's BOM and I am using 2 x 3.3v Salsa Shunt 2 x 5v Salas Shunt and a separate 7812 and 7912 power supply. Im a little disappointed, it doesnt sound as good as my CS4398 DAC. Maybe the AK4396 sounds better? From all the hype about the AK4395 I was expecting to be blown away. The AK4395 is very smooth and analog, but the CS4398 seems to have more resolution and detail.

I never tried AK4395's but at least I can suggest you to fill 100nf caps (Epcos blue or whatever) and try Elna Silmic as decoupling caps. 22uF/16v Silmic II's cheap on ebay. AKMs are sensitive to decoupling.

I'm using AK4396's with external linear type LM723 based regulator supplied soundcard with direct-out mod. No such weakness with bass and dynamics. Very enjoyable, relaxing and so detailed.

Last edited:
First line in the datasheet says delta sigma in greek symbols.

I guess the marketing guys know we like the words "multi bit". Maybe Wolfson will design a WM8745 and call it "Godsend" DAC ;)

Yep! As mentioned by one of the makers of the Bifrost in another forum:

One of the reasons we like the AKM4399 (and 4396) is that they use switched-capacitor filters to provide out of band noise performance that is more similar to a multibit DAC. As far as we know, they're unique in this regard. They're still delta-sigma, but they're a rather nice implementation of delta-sigma.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Ha ha, the first generations of 1 bit DACs used switched capacitor technique and most audio people agreed that it was below par ;) Burr Brown should have used "switched resistor" when they made their PCM56... Again, I am no native english speaker but isn't "more similar" different from "the same" ? And "more similar" compared to what ?

Whatever they tell in the first text part of the data sheet, it is specs and sound quality that count. We consumers are very sensitive to marketing terms.

Please compare:

- "we use switched-capacitor filters to provide out of band noise performance that is similar to a multi bit DAC"

- "we use laser matched R2R techniques so our TDA9999 does not have out of band noise at all at a price that is similar to standard sigma delta DACs"

:D

Last edited:
Ha ha, the first generations of 1 bit DACs used switched capacitor technique and most audio people agreed that it was below par ;) Burr Brown should shave used "switched resistor" when they made their PCM56... Again, I am no native english speaker but isn't "more similar" different from "the same" ? And "more similar" compared to what ?

Whatever they tell in the first text part of the data sheet, it is specs and sound quality that count. We consumers are very sensitive to marketing terms.

Please compare:

- "we use switched-capacitor filters to provide out of band noise performance that is similar to a multi bit DAC"

- "we use laser matched R2R techniques so our TDA9999 does not have out of band noise at all at a price that is similar to standard sigma delta DACs"

:D

AK4396's uniqueness is related with its "new" modulator design, not related with switching-capacitor filter or whatever. This is why this dac separating with other sigma-delta dacs including earlier AKMs.

6moons audio reviews: ModWright Transporter

..The AK4396 is an entirely new modulator, pioneered and patented by AKM...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Don't you see that we are sensitive to these terms ? If it is the holy grail of DACs why is it outperformed by 25 year old chips ?

At first quality was important, now only cost counts. "A new modulator" what does that tell me ? Maybe somewhat better than other even cheaper modulators ?

OK, I have been stubborn (sorry doctor, I am quiet now) and will escape now the first way out. Enjoy your AKM DACs, if you're satisfied then it is fine !

Last edited:
I have a question

If you look at my attached picture, then at No. 1, says that the resistance must be 100k, but the one that came with is only 90k, can I easily use it?
At No. 2, it should be 47k, but the ones that came with is 43.6 k, can I easily use them?

I have the AK4396 chip

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 852
I have a question

If you look at my attached picture, then at No. 1, says that the resistance must be 100k, but the one that came with is only 90k, can I easily use it?
At No. 2, it should be 47k, but the ones that came with is 43.6 k, can I easily use them?

I have the AK4396 chip

If you touch the ends of the resistors when you are measuring them, the resistance of your body will lower the measured resistance. Make sure to measure without touching the resistors with your fingers if you do this I'm sure they will measure closer to the specified value.

Yes they will be fine.

Who concluded that? You? It seems you are in a false belief of cost. I see no reason to good implemented an AK4396 to beat any R2R based nostalgia dac.

Sorry, but R2R vintage parts were designed for performance. If you put the same thought and effort into nice power supplies, and nice output stage R2R will win every time. However, sound is subjective, and some younger people not familiar with analog sound and good tone etc. and have become accustomed to the sound of delta sigma, and so prefer this sound. If you acquaint yourself with a good R2R DAC design, and take time to listen and compare. I'm sure you will agree R2R is better.

Delta sigma is designed to be small and use SMD technology and small associated parts count. Designed to fit in a portable CD player. Its not designed from the outset to give "ultimate" sound.

Older chips with multiple power supplies and more external components were designed with the best sound possible in mind.

You are welcome to disagree, but please familiarise yourself before judging.

Hello all :confused:

For years back, i build the DDDAC Mk II, which i have been happe for since then. I tried all sort of sources (Pc - Linux - Windows), and now for the moment my Squeezebox Touch.

I have been building a 4x input toslink switch, which routes the (TTL i think) through small relay's... Actually it's working very good, and with no "clicks / pops" and whatsoever.

Right now i am working in a new all-day living room/ daily living room project, where i can switch between 2 sets of speakers, the amp for now is a gainclone, and a a20 line amp. - For this project i need a new DAC, which can accept Hi-res FLAC files, as theese show up more and more i think it could be fun :cool:

Is this the "recommended" kit, for which to make all the mods, or is it another ??? Best CS8416 CS4398 192Khz/24Bit USB Coaxial DAC DIY Kit | eBay
- Also i would like to know the possibility to ad a toslink input at the DAC ?

I have been following this thread, a little bit, but i find it hard to really locate which kit, and with which mods.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right directions ?

Thanks in advance.

Jesper.

BTW : Have a look at my other stuff https://picasaweb.google.com/104415553174395854307

Attachments

• toslink switch.jpg
    toslink switch.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 761