DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Hi - I've just bought this 4396 kit and have yet to start any mods. I do have a question though :) I intend to integrate into a single DAC/AMP with an Icepower module.

I intend to use the Op Amp output (having adjusted the LPF to the correct values). Will this output drive a 125ASX2 ICEPOWER module directly? I hear the input impedance is low on the Icepower.

If I want a volume control, where should I put it? Should I add another opamp preamp prior to the Icepower?

Appreciate any advice!

Simon

I intend to use the Op Amp output (having adjusted the LPF to the correct values). Will this output drive a 125ASX2 ICEPOWER module directly? I hear the input impedance is low on the Icepower.
If I want a volume control, where should I put it? Should I add another opamp preamp prior to the Icepower?
Simon

Occasionally you do get clicks and pops or buzzing sounds when turning on this kit, or changing sample rates as the PLL locks on the digital reciever. So a volume control will save your speakers and hearing under these circumstances. A basic pre-amp or buffer kit with a volume pot will do the job. The low input impedance of the B&O amp is not generally an issue for most op-amps to drive. But check the datasheets if in doubt.

A quick reply to i2k92: I don't know more than what I've read in the seller text about the Valab DSIX board. It's a reclock board for the SPDIF signal. I've no mesurement of its real effect on the jitter but I can tell that it provide a really good improvement with my computer SPDIF out. The sound is really more detailed and the bass are very good.

Thanks a lot. What kind of transformer do you use with the board ? The seller mentions that it requires 1.5A which IMHO is surprisingly big for such small digital circuit.

Hello all,

I just bought one of the 4396 kit on eBay and putting together a list of mods to integrate as I assemble. One thing that I thought but did not find any discussion on is the use of a precision reference rather than just a cap across Vref pins. In my past industrial automation design experience, I have had very good and cost effective results from the likes of Linear Technology LT1021. Anyone with thoughts or experiences with similar approach?

Hello all,

I just bought one of the 4396 kit on eBay and putting together a list of mods to integrate as I assemble. One thing that I thought but did not find any discussion on is the use of a precision reference rather than just a cap across Vref pins. In my past industrial automation design experience, I have had very good and cost effective results from the likes of Linear Technology LT1021. Anyone with thoughts or experiences with similar approach?

I guess I should be complete by saying I propose generating a separate Vref with the LT1021 back to 7815 and separate Vref from AVdd.

Thanks a lot. What kind of transformer do you use with the board ? The seller mentions that it requires 1.5A which IMHO is surprisingly big for such small digital circuit.

I use a 12V 6800mAH rechargeable Li-ion battery for best result.
I've tried successfully a linear power supply with a LT1083 but with an oversized 40VA transfo so I can't tell you about minimum requirement.
I've also tried the Li-ion battery with the DSIX + USB Isolator (Adum chip) + TeraLink X2-M (USB to SPDIF) without any problem, good performance and very long lasting.

Hello all,

I have read on other threads about people doing the same thing as you propose, so It should not be a problem.

I have read on other threads about people doing the same thing as you propose, so It should not be a problem.

Hello Erin,
thanks for your reply. I have decided not to use the LT1761, or any other chip regulator, but to use Greg Ball's "Minireg." These are a low noise (<1uV) and low impedance discrete that Grg designed to replace the 78xx/79xx family and have a very small PCB. Either a PCB or a complete kit is available

I currently use them on the DAC and analog out of my Rotel CDP and on Greg's Optivol (LDR volume control) and FET buffer that I use as a preamp.

The restriction with the Minireg is that the max current it can supply is 100mA. But that is more than enough for this stuff.

Greg's website and SKA forum is: SKA sponsored Audio Forum - Index and the Minireg thread is: SKA sponsored Audio Forum - MiniReg discrete low noise Regulator

Looking at another part of this kit, has anyone done anything with the PLL filter components on the CS8416? I mean using SMD components for C36 and C5 (COG/NPO types) and an SMD for R2. From the photos I think I see how to do it without doinf too much violence to the tracks. Several years ago I built a few TDA1543 DACs with CS8412 receivers and used SMD components soldered as close to the PLL loop filter pins as I could get them (different filter values of course). Post #34 on this thread tells the benefit of SMD components in this location. It's worth a read : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/21544-cs8412.html#post369860

Last edited:
You are totally right, that improvements to the PLL will be beneficial. Problem is that the tracks are arranged for leaded components and not optimised for SMD parts. But I also think that you could fit them on the board, with the current track layout, perhaps SMD will have no advantage? Perhaps you can try both and tell us if you notice any difference.

Attachments

• loopy.GIF
    loopy.GIF
    33 KB · Views: 1,319
Problem is that the tracks are arranged for leaded components and not optimised for SMD parts. But I also think that you could fit them on the board, with the current track layout

Hello Erin,

The attached photo shows how I intend to use the PCB track from pin 8 FIL to insert the SMD components. C36 can go right against pins 7 and 8. I would then cut the track from pin 8 to The K SMR C35 and solder R2 accros the cut. Finally, the C5 would go from the end of R2 to the lip of the PCB ground hole where the 1nF leaded cap would have been.
The caps will be in the 0805 package which are a little fiddly to solder but acceptable. R2 can be 1206 package.

I don't have the kit yet and have had only the website photos to try and get the scale, but I think it should all fit into that small area. I have just built an SPDIF out driver for a CD player using SMD in a smaller are than that.

I am a little hesitant to do before and after testing because I have already heard the difference on the CS8412 chip. But I can give it a try – when the kit finally arrives.

Attachments

• PLL.jpg
    PLL.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,207
I haven't heard either CS8414 or 8416, just the 8412 I used in a TDA1543 based DAC a few years ago. I gave the DAC away when the mods I did to My Rotel RCD965BX made it far better than the 1543. I have done all I can to the Rotel, including an upgrade of the transport section and so a potentially better DAC is the next step.

I will also try a new active SPDIF receiver/transformer, but only after I have heard it as standard.

Direct, the mood I finally made it!

My first try to get Ak4396 kit work in direct mood was a failure. But I keep trying by working on the volume control as Sandller advice. It is a shunt attenuator with 10k shunt resistor parallel. I replaced it with a 2.4k carbon foil same value from AK4396 datasheet. And it made the trix.
I replaced the 3 elctrolytics in power supply too, thanks to Erin. Three Mundorf 15000uf are playing the bass notes to Patricia Barber’s “Autumn Leaves”.

The sound is totally different vs the same board with a LME49720. I have made two, the only way to get own experience in this endless discussions.
Direct mood sounds very relaxed filling bass slam in stomach. Although rhythm and pace is there, more obvious, intimate yes sexy. Never experienced from a digital source before, maybe 12 years ago from a Linn top player.
The board with opamp sounds good. Every thing is there but fasten, stressed someone called it, hard not enjoyable as direct mood.

Although I did not put money on the coupling caps(suspicious at the beginning). 10uf Nichicon ES (says better than BG N serie) on 0.1uf pio CCCP to the attenuator and 10uf Nichi to the gnd. I guess the PIOs are not suitable in this bypass. Problem with big orchestral! Teflon may works better? Waiting from Russia by doller.
Looking to Jantzen Superior or Silver mkp as well vs Mundorf silver/oil witch costs double! Do not know if the they worth the price (2x €53 for 4.7uf)
Any suggestion that is easy to order from Europe?

Attachments

• DSC_0145 L.jpg
    DSC_0145 L.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 1,154