DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Hi, I have just replaced the NE5532 in mine with an LM4562 and was quite surprised how much better it sounded.
Anyone else tried the LM4562 ?:)

I did and while it sounds very good I think it lacks slam and impact, probably because it usually sounds better when followed by a buffer or at leas a resistor that isolate it from capacitive loads.

In the first pages of the thread Jean-Paul, which uses LM4562, suggest to use the resistor to improve sound.

Silver88, "x2 on BrowDog", you need tow opa827. one on the dog another under the dog! quite difficult to solder I think. Already destroyed a pair! going to use LME49720 instead. only one needed!

Not much, with patience and fine solder.

Yes i read, but maybe if someone could post a picture or 2, showing how to solder the things right up, we all can try the opa827 :)

See the attachment... ;)

Attachments

• BrownDog single to dual.jpg
    BrownDog single to dual.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 1,276
I did and while it sounds very good I think it lacks slam and impact, probably because it usually sounds better when followed by a buffer or at leas a resistor that isolate it from capacitive loads.
In the first pages of the thread Jean-Paul, which uses LM4562, suggest to use the resistor to improve sound.]

My DAC feeds into a valve pre amp. (World Designs Pre3).:)

Hi..

I just got my finished AKM4396 dac, and since i got the information of the dac kit from this thread i think i should share what i've experience about this dac..

my ak4396 uses "custom" Broskie tube Unbalancer as its output stage with two GE 8cg7 tube and then feed by Phillips ez80 as the tube rectifier..

i cant says much about the design of the output stage,, because i had it built by my friend..

DAC02_1.jpg

DAC02_2.jpg

f
DAC02_3.jpg

the sound is very amazing for a dac that this cheap and small, mid and high is clear and natural without a hint of harshness and it gives an effortless feeling.. detail and sound separation are excellent.. and i'm not experiencing the lack of bass that some has say.... i have the elektor dac with all the boutique parts (BG, tantalum, vishay etc) and i think the ak4396 has better it in almost every aspect..

this ak4396 dac kit is trully a very good performer even with stock op amp output,, but once you paired it with good tube output (or maybe an OT) you'll expect a significant improvement,, imo no comparison with the opamp output.. :)

i think ill stick with this ak4396 dac for a little while :)

sorry for my bad english..

regards

In the first pages of the thread Jean-Paul, which uses LM4562, suggest to use the resistor to improve sound.

Not much, with patience and fine solder.

See the attachment... ;)

Nice Clave as always :) Do you know a place, where to buy the two opa827, and where i know for sure, that they are original ? And the brownDog to.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hi..

I just got my finished AKM4396 dac, and since i got the information of the dac kit from this thread i think i should share what i've experience about this dac..

my ak4396 uses "custom" Broskie tube Unbalancer as its output stage with two GE 8cg7 tube and then feed by Phillips ez80 as the tube rectifier..

i cant says much about the design of the output stage,, because i had it built by my friend..

the sound is very amazing for a dac that this cheap and small, mid and high is clear and natural without a hint of harshness and it gives an effortless feeling.. detail and sound separation are excellent.. and i'm not experiencing the lack of bass that some has say.... i have the elektor dac with all the boutique parts (BG, tantalum, vishay etc) and i think the ak4396 has better it in almost every aspect..

this ak4396 dac kit is trully a very good performer even with stock op amp output,, but once you paired it with good tube output (or maybe an OT) you'll expect a significant improvement,, imo no comparison with the opamp output.. :)

i think ill stick with this ak4396 dac for a little while :)

sorry for my bad english..

regards
Your English is better than mine as I'm Australian :D

Very nice work mate, and a nice build.

AK4393/4396

I have been listening to the stock DAC 2496 (AK4393) for a couple of weeks. Recently replaced the 5532 with dual OPA627. Both are a little bass shy-the OPA627 provides reduced sibilance, otherwise both are very detailed and smooth.
Yesterday a pre-assembled board with AK4396 arrived(these things are so inexpensive) and the most significant improvement is an almost absence of sibilance, in stock form. I haven't tried swapping the output chip yet.
All versions are a little lean on bass but highly listenable.
Now waiting for some Wimas to try(not sure what improvement to expect).

Peter

Have now tried with LM4562. Just plug and play replacement whith the original Ne5532. I think i have a little improvement, but not enough to make me satisfied.
I have ordered a new pcb with the ak4396 chip. And planning to built after the full BOM from Clave. Looking forward to it. The last parts, comes in next week