DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

i built one of these boards from ebay and it seems to work fine when playing music but when i turn it off i get loud cracking and hiss noise through my speakers. also if i mute the coax audio line from my pc there is continuous hissing. anyone know what could be wrong?

still waiting for the right BrownDog from US I'm listening to the dac through two 1uF MKPs per channel. everything is there but dynamic and base!

all modd done according exactly to the Clave's BOM (thanks again boy, nice job), even diodes are SBYV27! only silmics are replaced by Robycon ZLJ 220uF, 100v. the ship has been on water 22 hours dvd-repeat.

Hi all, I've built one of the AK4393 boards using Coffin regs for all the regs - 2 x 3.3, one 5V and +/-12V for the op-amp. The Error light and the 96k light come on straight away "No Audio" is not lit. No sound. I'm using the 100nF bypass cap holes to apply power. The regs are working fine, the 3.3V regs are supplying 3.25V and the 5V is 4.95V. Any ideas where to look? I have used these regs a few times on DACs and they have good rise times.

still waiting for the right BrownDog from US I'm listening to the dac through two 1uF MKPs per channel. everything is there but dynamic and base!

I've never tried the direct out mod but I'm not surprised... ;)

IMHO an active filter is needed, either based on opamps, discretes or valves...

all modd done according exactly to the Clave's BOM (thanks again boy, nice job), even diodes are SBYV27! only silmics are replaced by Robycon ZLJ 220uF, 100v. the ship has been on water 22 hours dvd-repeat.

You're welcome Nosian :)

regardind ZLJ I would change them...if they're only similar to ZL and ZLH they have a strange grey and harsh sound...

and they're low ESR ones, not good after regulators...

In the words of Homer Simpson, D'oh!

The DAC works, I was using a cheapo factory-sealed digital cable that was faulty. I avoid using 3-pin regs where I can so I built this from the start to use off-board regs.

This is being used in my DC-B1 pre with Salas phono and headphone stage all in one case.

Here is what my build looks like. 220uF OsCons used on digital supply rails, Muse on analogue rails. Op-amp is an LME49720. The op-amp dual reg is underneath the DAC:

It's only been on for about 15 minutes but sounds promising. Dynamics and bass are fantastic, the middle and top-end will get better with run-in.

Attachments

• P9150211.jpg
    P9150211.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 1,076
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007

Try direct out using quality transformers instead of caps, and you will have dynamics and bass by the bucket loads!
Along with hi-resolution...

1 uF a bit tiny for bass. try different type and bigger size.

See aircondition's setup and impressions at post 596

ClaveFremen said:
I've never tried the direct out mod but I'm not surprised...

I'm not surprised this either :)

thanks Sharpi, I bought them, will take a while for the Old Countess from HK.

thanks terranigma, but the direct mode is done with "two" (2x1uF) Audycap QS 400v in parallel per channel it means 2uF not 1uF.

and yes aircondition, the 3d sound stage is excellent.

i'm new in diy and will test different output stage even opamps! very curious about it and all discussions and theories and ...

Last edited:
I've never tried the direct out mod but I'm not surprised... ;)

Regardind ZLJ I would change them...if they're only similar to ZL and ZLH they have a strange grey and harsh sound...

and they're low ESR ones, not good after regulators...

This is the EXACT opposite to what I've found with the Z family of caps from Rubycon - after they've settled down they 'sound' clear, crisp and dynamic. I recommend them with zero reservations. Very much like the Black Gate Standard caps in fact. Where I've personally heard a 'mushy' or indistinct sound has been with Elna Silmic IIs. And in another thread it was determined that the ZL and ZLH at least are fine to use after a regulator - indeed I am using one after a LM7808 on a PSU at present and now oscillation at all.

It all goes to show there are no hard & fast facts in audio as far as the sound of components is concerned.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/M...Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAM&Category_Code=RUBY

I'll be using Rubycon ZLJs in my DAC, so will report on how they 'sound' in this configuration asap.

It's all good fun :)

Last edited:
This is mine (a bit of housing crisis with a Valab DSIX board under the DAC board and a source selector...) with Tamradio TK-113 transformers.
The sound is really very good.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Before that, I've tried direct output with 3.3 uF FKP2 it wasn't good at all (no more bass) and then a LME49720HA opamp (metal can version) with a really good improvement.
But the sound with these tranformers is really better.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Yeah, a busy box that is for sure :D

You sound very happy with the result though :up:

I payed about $57 each for the Hi Nickle Cinemags (new) in my CS4398 DAC and the cost was easily justified by the improvement in sound.

In some systems the 50% steel/50% Nickle will suit better, and are a few $ less.

Hello Evybody,

I have received a DAC kit today and there is a problem the green LED audio is flashing .
The Spdif input is connected to the Digital output of a CD drive ....
I hope and i suppose that the Digital output signal is not correct !!!!

Have you met such a problem ?

Thanks for your advices

Serge