DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Hi noob here about to buy a DAC for my PC and use SPDIF from my motherboard and hope it will sound better than my current Mini USB PCM2704 DAC :) have a q about the power requirements tho as it would be neater to run it all from my pc can i just rig up the 12v from my PSU to the rectifier outputs? would i need the 12v regulators?

Hello,been reading the thread and ordered a AK4398 kit.
Going to mod it,I have a bag of Elna serafin 47uF/35v and a bag of Oscon 10uF,wich one of these to use for excanging the 10uF e-lyts on the board?
As I havent gotten the pcb yet,what are the diameter maximum on the biggest e-lyts and the secon biggest one.

regards
Åke

Going to mod it,I have a bag of Elna serafin 47uF/35v and a bag of Oscon 10uF,wich one of these to use for excanging the 10uF e-lyts on the board?
As I havent gotten the pcb yet,what are the diameter maximum on the biggest e-lyts and the secon biggest one.

Hi Åke,

the Cerafines are the most suitable caps but I fear they're too big...

Quite all position can accomodate only 6.3mm caps, though some can be tightly fitted with 8mm ones.

Hi noob here about to buy a DAC for my PC and use SPDIF from my motherboard and hope it will sound better than my current Mini USB PCM2704 DAC :) have a q about the power requirements tho as it would be neater to run it all from my pc can i just rig up the 12v from my PSU to the rectifier outputs? would i need the 12v regulators?

It will definitely sound better than your PCM2704 DAC, I can tell you that for sure, because I also own a DIY PCM2704.

I'm also sure that your PSU's +12V would be powerful enough for the DAC, as it consumes only about 6 Watts on the +12V. On the other hand, the DAC needs a -12V supply as well, on which most PC PSUs can deliver very low amount of power. (mine can do 12W only) However, the DAC consumes only about 1 Watt on the -12V, so it could work, but check your PSU's capabilities first.

All branches of a PC PSU are regulated, so you wouldn't need the +12V/-12V regulators.

Despite the fact that connecting this DAC to your PC PSU would absolutely work, I do NOT recommend using it that way, because the noisy supply from a PC would totally ruin the sound.

It will definitely sound better than your PCM2704 DAC, I can tell you that for sure, because I also own a DIY PCM2704.

I'm also sure that your PSU's +12V would be powerful enough for the DAC, as it consumes only about 6 Watts on the +12V. On the other hand, the DAC needs a -12V supply as well, on which most PC PSUs can deliver very low amount of power. (mine can do 12W only) However, the DAC consumes only about 1 Watt on the -12V, so it could work, but check your PSU's capabilities first.

All branches of a PC PSU are regulated, so you wouldn't need the +12V/-12V regulators.

Despite the fact that connecting this DAC to your PC PSU would absolutely work, I do NOT recommend using it that way, because the noisy supply from a PC would totally ruin the sound.

ok thanks for advice i will use transformer i have but it only has +12v :( Can I do without opamp stage if im using 32ohm headphones with this DAC? the pcm2704 i have just has a couple of capacitors between output and headphone..

No need to use the 4x 2.4Kohm resistors with transformers. I use small 5ohm resistors between the dac and the transformers, which seems fine.

The AK4396 datasheet calls for minimum 1Kohm AC and 1.5Kohm DC load. With a transformer the DC load is essentially infinite (as there is 2.5VDC at either end of the primary) so that's covered. The AC load will ultimately be determined by the load connected to the secondary, so typically 10-100Kohm.

This all assumes you use a 1:1 transformer - with other ratios you'd need to check the reflected impedance etc. I don't see any need for anything other than 1:1, and have used many different 600ohm transformers to great effect.

thanks, but I've already got a pair of Sowter 9545:
PRIMARY DC RESISTANCE 10 ohms (in parallel)
SECONDARY DC RESISTANCE 900 + 900 ohms
RATIO 1+1 : 5+5
SUGGESTED I/V RESISTOR:
Parallel primaries 100 ohms
Separate primaries 200 ohms

it takes the balanced output of AK4396. do you think the 5ohm resistor is still suitable? or something ells?

I was asked for some photos of what I have done.
You can see the 22000uf capacitors. The bridge rectifiers have been removed from the board and I have mounted different bridge rectifiers off the board before the caps. It should be self explanatory. You can also see the Silmics decouping the op-amp.....

hi Erin, i'm still a little confuse about this. It means you bypass the original 2200uf with those blue 22000uf?
so one could remove the bad originals (in my case KMG) completely in exchange with 22000uf?
Is this a good choice?

Hi Nosian,

Sowter 9545 (and the recommended loading) should be used with current output dacs, not voltage output dacs like the AK4393/5/6. A very different beast altogether.....

I wouldn't even try using these transformers - you may even damage the dac if you use the primary loading you detail (way less than the 1Kohm minimum AC load).

Buy a current output dac kit and use the Sowters with that (I'm sure it would be great). For the AK4396, buy a couple of half decent 600ohm 1:1 transformers on ebay for $30.

On you BOM you spec a 12 v regulator replacing the 15 v regs.
Is there ary technical reason for doing so
I understand the the circuit will work with both voltages but the 12 v may run hotter as the voltage drop is higher

No, just to use the same voltage rating of the original kit.

In fact the MC7815/7915 are even better performing (in my definitive DAC I'm using 15V ones).

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
In the data sheet for the AK4396, it states "When AOUT drives some capacitive load, some resistor should be added in series between AOUT and capacitive load" A capacitive load being either a cap or transformer.

To me this is indicating that being a voltage output DAC like the CS4398, it does require a load (resistor) of some value in series on the analogue outs.

Someone earlier said it does not, well this has been bugging me as I know that the CS4398 requires it and it also is a Differential DAC and a voltage output DAC, in this respect just like the AK4396.

Looking at the suggested circuits in the data sheet, also indicates resistors in series.

If I were doing a transformer output with this chip, I would use resistors in series on the outputs, what value? I'm not sure, but I'm thinking 1.5k for some reason. So using a pair of 600ohm transformers like I have on my DAC I would be looking at 1k resistors on each of the 4 legs in series between the chip and transformers.
But I could be wrong on this figure.

If anyone is thinking of transformers, double check before taking my advise.

Just my thoughts ;)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
When loaded with a capacitance it needs a series resistor, yes. Loading it with a transformer is slightly another case. I know from experience that CS4397/98 can be loaded directly with transformers with very good results and nothing will break. However, I used 470 Ohm at each output in series to the transformer for current limiting at power-on. I also hoped that it would avoid magnetization because of a possible current at power-on.

It should not be needed as both outputs are at 2,5 V. But I can not guarantee why happens at power-on so I used the resistors.

Last edited: