DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

I wouldn't think so as it's a 24/96 DAC - unless it's able to downsample?

I need to amend this comment. I believe the receiver (CS8416) can accept 24/192 files. However the AK4393 is 24/96 only. The AK4396 can accept 24/192 though, so I **assume** these DAC kits with AK4396 can playback 24/192 material. Depends how the board/circuit has been configured however... Anybody care to comment? Can this DAC kit (with AK4396) playback accurately files of any bitrate up to 192KHz, or are they all upsampled?

Last edited:
I need to amend this comment. I believe the receiver (CS8416) can accept 24/192 files. However the AK4393 is 24/96 only. The AK4396 can accept 24/192 though, so I **assume** these DAC kits with AK4396 can playback 24/192 material. Depends how the board/circuit has been configured however... Anybody care to comment? Can this DAC kit (with AK4396) playback accurately files of any bitrate up to 192KHz, or are they all upsampled?
Sorry I should have clarified that I 'm building the 4396 version which as you mention is 192k capable.Since there is no sample rate convertor IC there will be no upsampling.
I'm also thinking that by using a small resistor(3-10 ohms)for the the jumper between the analog and digital filter caps(when using a single transformer)might improve isolation between the analog and digital supplies as well as adding some additional filtration?

Last edited:
Right. So unlike the Gigaworks 24/192 DAC (CS4816 + CS4398) this one doesn't need any DIP switching to change from - for example - 16/44.1 to 24/192 files then. Sounds ideal!

No, it leaves the sample rate as it is and the AK4396 version can play anything up to 192kHz.
And as I've mentioned before, I've got an AK4396 version and it plays 192kHz audio flawlessly. (However not totally perfectly, as my chip is defective, but it COULD play them flawlessly. However, that's an other story.)

Thanks for the confirmation Jeffzen - AK4396 kit ordered from Zoe-tsang! :up:

Sorry to hear about your faulty chip - hope that gets sorted out asap! I know these particular chips are very finicky about soldering/heat.

If anyone wants an AK4393 PCB + kit (chips already soldered in place) please let me know (£10 plus £2.50 postage). Bought it before I realised that it could only get upto 24/96.

- John

What about using the inner core from a coax cabel, whith the white isolation on, to connection betwen the dac pcb and rca plug ?

Attachments

• coax.jpg
    coax.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 1,576
My first naked kit died so I've made some mods from a kit already soldered according to ClaveFremen BOM (thanks for the work) and it sounds very well.
What do you think about Styroflex caps in place of FKP2? I had some of this caps and I've tried them for the LPF, it seams to be quite good.

I've made some mods from a kit already soldered according to ClaveFremen BOM (thanks for the work) and it sounds very well.

You're welcome :)

What do you think about Styroflex caps in place of FKP2? I had some of this caps and I've tried them for the LPF, it seams to be quite good.

Until this morning I haven't tried Styroflex... they sound very very good (ERO KP-1834), a bit more neutral than FKP2s with equal or slightly better detail, as expected.

But in the BOM I'll stick to FKP2s since they're current production, nowadays polystyrene caps are (mostly) not longer produced.

I've read several times that the AK dacs like an equal load on both the + & - outputs of each channel. This is why I've used transformers on the outputs connected to both legs, and why I've never seen the sense in ignoring the - leg and sticking a cap on the + leg only.

As to which one sounds best, I'm open minded. I use transformers and have absolutely no desire to continue experimenting with unbalanced coupling caps only.

You're welcome :)

I suggest you to mount it as is but socket the four DAC's output resistors with a SIL socket. In this way you can, in every moment, pull out the resistors and plug in wires to trasformer or output caps while leaving the IV/LPF functional when resistors are plugged in socket...

hi Clave,
do you mean using an output transformer from AK4396, we do not need those 4*2k4 resistors?
regards

No need to use the 4x 2.4Kohm resistors with transformers. I use small 5ohm resistors between the dac and the transformers, which seems fine.

The AK4396 datasheet calls for minimum 1Kohm AC and 1.5Kohm DC load. With a transformer the DC load is essentially infinite (as there is 2.5VDC at either end of the primary) so that's covered. The AC load will ultimately be determined by the load connected to the secondary, so typically 10-100Kohm.

This all assumes you use a 1:1 transformer - with other ratios you'd need to check the reflected impedance etc. I don't see any need for anything other than 1:1, and have used many different 600ohm transformers to great effect.