DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

I suppose you are right, but good parts are certainly not those that are 'high quality'. I've tweaked circuits trying different caps in all sorts of places and often the best bypass cap is a 10uF electrolytic, not a fancy Tantalum or such.

I didn't ever tried a single tantalum...

Exactly, what you mean for 'high quality'?

Same with Op-amp, I often find a NE5532 gives equal performance as mega expensive ICs.

NE5532 is pretty good opamp, it doesn't a single thing wrong.

It has a perfect timbre and a good soundstage but -some- opamps are better, however. ;)

It is generally my finding that parts swapping does very little, while actual design changes can bring big improvements.

I have no doubt that swapping some parts will do little to what you see on a screen.
But how about listening to the changes with your ears?

Its an old debate. What you measure vs what you hear.
IMO this is the reason that so many average sounding pieces of equipment are sold in shops. They measure perfect - but sound poor.

There are also some that strive to achive very low distortion, like 0.00005%. But you have to put a lot of negative feedback to achieve this, and have worlds lowest noise power supplies.
In the end, it may not sound as good as something with 0.05% distortion and less negative feedback, and noisier power supply. Sound is subjective. We all know that.

Last edited:
Transformer

The R-Core price is good. I doubt you'll find that in the UK.

For an all-in-one transformer, there's this from RS Components Buy PCB Mounting Transformers PCB mount transformer,12VA 2x0-12V o/p RS 10-5922 online from RS for next day delivery.

It's 14-0-14 + 0-9. It's encapsulated EI core and PCB mount, so might be a bit of a hassle to mount and wire up. I would mount it in a separate box.

You could get two small toroidals. The Nuvotem brand, also from RS components, are good quality.

Hi,

that RS reference seems to be ideal ... it is specified as PCBmount transformer,30VA 1x0-9V 2x0-14V and costs about £17... also reasonable. Does the eBay transformer have any advantages over the RS model?

George

I think the R core is meant to keep the electromagnetic field more contained than E core transformers. I do own both types of transformer, but never did an AB comparison.
FWIW I never heard any EMI from an E core transformer, also never had any problems of any sort from E cores. But some people do insist that R core is better.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that on this kit it wont matter one tiny bit whether you use E core, R core or toroidal. As the kit will perform very well with either. I'd suggest supporting your local economy and buy whatever you can locally.

Last edited:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that on this kit it wont matter one tiny bit whether you use E core, R core or toroidal. As the kit will perform very well with either. I'd suggest supporting your local economy and buy whatever you can locally.

i reckon you're probably right. The differences are more apparent with higher power amplifiers and things like that, where size, weight, magnetic fields become significant with EI core. I also think that small toroidals without shields could be worse, due to their ability to pass noise through from the mains. So EI is probably a good way to go.

I don't agree and I would do the opposite...

Magnetic fields radiation is more harmful with low level signals, like in this case, than with power amplifiers, IMHO.

On commercial equipment as a matter of fact you can find R-Cores on CD players, DACs and Preamps.

Power amps with R-Cores are a rarity... ;)

An additional note:

Usually toroids have a less 'full' sound than EI or R-Cores so I wouldn't use a toroid with this DAC...

Last edited:
I don't agree and I would do the opposite...

You are most welcome to disagree, I stand by what I wrote earlier.:D
I will elaborate on this by saying that although this kit is very good for the money. I as an owner of this kit don't think the type of transformer used will make any audible difference on this kit. Anyone who was worried about EMI from the E core transformer could put a shield between it and the board if they were that worried about it. Which I don't think anyone should be worried about it anyway.

Last edited:
How could the IEC inlet possibly make a difference, unless extremely badly corroded?! :confused:

I have to say I haven't heard any ill effects from using a toroidal transformer with my Gigaworks DAC. If toroidal is good enough for Naim (and their equipment is often praised as far as having robust PSUs are concerned) it's good enough for me ;) I think - as in all areas of Hi-Fi - there are good and bad examples of any/all technology. Toroidal doesn't have to mean bad, nor does SMPS etc etc.

Fundamentalism

Careful guys.... we are in danger of fundamentalism here.. or an outbreak of rationality :)

Personally, I think that differences in the area of transformer type, assuming properly installed and specified, should be negligible. I note the use of toroidals in Krell, Linn and other high-end equipment, so issues about toroids cannot be general. We do need some specifics here.. preferably measurable. Swapping transformer types should be one of the simpler A-B tests as it disturbs very little of the signal-path components. Any takers?

Two better than one?

I'm using one of each type of transformer.
Tried swapping them around but there's no benefit that i can hear.
I think two is better than one though.

Surely that is going to be down to each transformer being underspecified? Using two allows better delivery. This probably explains why DIYers traditionally over engineer power supplies.. it will do no harm, may actually help, and is relatively straightforward. In the absence of sophisticated test equipment it may even be prudent.