DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

well, try this...

no, not really

Much of the discussion on this thread revolves around a set of documents that Dario has placed on a Google Documents page:

https://docs.google.com/#folders/0B-qKRBuaKtzYYWNkNzRmODktZTQyNS00YjA2LWIwNzItN2UzNzhjODI5MWRm

[or see links Dario has placed, for example, page 113 , message 1125]...

By creating the Google Docs folders, we have a single place where you can find the BOM's schematics and pictures, and know that you're looking at the most recent updates.

Paul

In my upgrade process I unfortunately lost some thru-hole metal sleeves again. :mad:

The signal paths are not much of a problem and some of the grounds are repairable by flowing solder up the lead to the top of the board.

Will I be creating a problem by jumpering to the closest "valid" ground/- position on the bottom of the PCB?

Attachments

• DSC00746.JPG
    DSC00746.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 899
In my amplifier (Yamaha DSP-A1) there are some DAC chips. All of them are AK4324. That is a 1 bit DAC, 128 times oversampling up to 96 kHz. 24 bit, 8 x digital filter and SCF filter in the analogue part.

So what is a better solution? Keep my S/P DIF output of the CD player (and have the Yamaha process it), or use the mini 2496 DAC board (which I now installed in the CD-player), and use the analog output to the amplifier?
The Yamaha is already 12 years old, so is the technology. Or is the technology in the AK4324 chip still "acceptable", compared to the 2496 mini DAC?

Should a new thread be started for the USB (CM102S) variants of the board?

I've got one on order with the CS8416 + CS4398.

From looking at the schematics it seems to me that there are about five variants of these boards using the CS8416. All use basically the same power supply and output filter with component value variances.

In general, mods to one are applicable to any of the others with the exception of the output DAC having different features (especially the pinout changes for the CS4398 vs AK4393 and AK4396).

I realize the thread was started specifically for the AK4393, but it evolved to encompass the AK4396 as well, so it seems to make sense to include the newer AK4398 boards as well.

What makes sense to me may not agree with the OP, so I am asking before posting more on the AK4398.

Respectfully,

Steven