DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Which DAC board is that? I thought we were talking about blue-pcb AKM4396 eBay project. This one is completely different.

What USB interface is that? What regulators are those?

Hello Carlmart its Dac build around AK4396VF chip i being working on it for quite sometime i have also posted its picture's earlier.

It uses CM6631A usb reciver from Diyinhk.

And the regular board is a kind Sulzer type low noise regulator with 2 opamps for 4 different voltages 3.3,5,+12,-12.

The regulator uses LM329DZ as voltage references for opamp to drive mosfets.

For some time I have been searching for a way to add an USB to I2S converter to the original AK4396 board. You may have seen the images I uploaded.

The affordable USB receivers were these ones:

Isolated XMOS 768kHz DXD DSD512(DSD1024) high-quality USB to I2S/DSD PCB - DIYINHK

I2SoverUSB - I2S over USB Audio

As you can see, I picked the isolated versions. The latter seems to be the more interesting one.

It's proven hard to find anyone that has tried any of these boards to have some feedback.

Have you tried CM6631A usb to i2s if not give it a try.

384kHz Asynchronous USB to I2S/SPDIF CM6631A PCB - DIYINHK

Its affordable and have NDK NZ2520SD Ultralow phase noise oscillator

I have now used my DAC AK4396 kit for some years.

It is a really nice sounding DAC kit, and a lot of fun to build too - kind of today's Heathkit.

It is really good to listen to, but what is really nice is that there is no prodigious HF output, that really bugger the older ladder type multibit DAC´s.

I really cant listen to some older DAC´s because of it, don't hear it of course, but burns my ears and gives me tinnitus when listening thru phones, loudspeakers with normal old fashion tweeters that don't reproduce frequencies over 20k is the best way to naturally filter out HF.

One of the bigger drawbacks with this kit is its handling of transients, short sharp sounds.

Especially when listening thru quality phones like the Sennheiser HD 650, you really miss the surprise effect you get thru better DAC´s, no pop and sparkle or sudden bang - all is a bit too smooth.

I do not know if it is the AK 4396 converter, or the output stage that is the culprit, but it is really too bland and unresponsive to small and sudden changes.

20190123_111135.jpg

One track of this record clearly shows it, track number 1, the fireworks in the backgrounds sounds more open and snappy on many other DAC´s, on the AK4396 kit it is much more subdued and closed in, sounding more of a mass of noise than a lot of small sharp explosions.

And the final OP amp for me in this DAC kit is the NJR MUSES 02, works really fine.

Last edited:
I have now used my DAC AK4396 kit for some years.

It is a really nice sounding DAC kit, and a lot of fun to build too - kind of today's Heathkit.

Wow it's awesome to see a thread I started years ago still going!

I suppose the only reason for me commenting is to give you my thoughts on R2R DACs. I simply want to let you know that they're not all harsh in the top end, and other ways you describe them. Usually that sort of sound is caused by poor power supply regulation not a defect of the R2R typology. And modifications can be made to fix that. Although obviously that's your experience so far, and that is true for you. My experience is totally different. I regulate my R2R power supplies very well and my R2R DAC is silky smooth and highly detailed! These days I suggest trying one of the ESS DACs. Because they will probably give you the sort of Sound you're looking for. You should know that the ak4393/6 is quite old and ESS has made some dramatic improvements in Delta Sigma technology which approaches the best of R2R technology. Oh, and AK new DACs like AK4399 are also very good too.
There is a completed one on eBay for about $100 with case that sounds really awesome.

Really, this thread is quite old and I really cannot recommend people build this DAC anymore. It is not anywhere near the standards of the latest ESS or AKM DACs, and when you can get the current models for around $100 people really shouldn't be using this DAC anymore. It was good in its day when this thread started, but technology has moved on. Intended with all kindness and care for anyone intending for excellent sound.

Have fun... All the best.
Erin

Last edited:
I suppose the only reason for me commenting is to give you my thoughts on R2R DACs.

I recently bought a Topping D50, with a linear supply to power it, and will start my tests soon.

One of the reasons for buying it is to have a reference for some DIY DAC projects I would like to do, picking USB to I2S boards, like the one by JLSounds, and using different output DAC boards, with ESS and AKM DAC chips, experimenting with analog output chips and power supplies. Particularly eliminating all switching internal supplies the boards might have.

Which R2R DAC are you talking about? The ones I have seen are extremely expensive.

Wow it's awesome to see a thread I started years ago still going!

I suppose the only reason for me commenting is to give you my thoughts on R2R DACs. I simply want to let you know that they're not all harsh in the top end, and other ways you describe them. Usually that sort of sound is caused by poor power supply regulation not a defect of the R2R typology. And modifications can be made to fix that. Although obviously that's your experience so far, and that is true for you. My experience is totally different. I regulate my R2R power supplies very well and my R2R DAC is silky smooth and highly detailed! These days I suggest trying one of the ESS DACs. Because they will probably give you the sort of Sound you're looking for. You should know that the ak4393/6 is quite old and ESS has made some dramatic improvements in Delta Sigma technology which approaches the best of R2R technology. Oh, and AK new DACs like AK4399 are also very good too.
There is a completed one on eBay for about $100 with case that sounds really awesome.

Really, this thread is quite old and I really cannot recommend people build this DAC anymore. It is not anywhere near the standards of the latest ESS or AKM DACs, and when you can get the current models for around $100 people really shouldn't be using this DAC anymore. It was good in its day when this thread started, but technology has moved on. Intended with all kindness and care for anyone intending for excellent sound.

Have fun... All the best.
Erin

Hello Erin, so you are the proud parent of this highly popular thread! :)

As for the R2R DAC´s and players, I got a few, among them a Pioneer PD-8500 with PCM63 DAC´s that sound really nice with some simple mods, and of cause some new OP´s.

And a LITE DAC 60 with PCM 1702, and there are no OP AMP at its outputs, only tubes.

It is not a rough hi end that is the problem, it is the HF noise output that occurs above 20k, that can be at a higher level than the output of the music, if not filtered correctly.

/SWIN

Have you tried different output opamps?

I'm not sure the Muses O2 is the right one.

Try the OPA1612, which is the opamp used on the highly regarded Topping D50.

I have tried with many OP amp´s, but the transient speed is still a bit slow or muddled - I still think it is the AK chip, or the output circuit.

BTW - have you tried your AK2496 without any OP in the socket?

I have done it accidentally, rotating different OP´s among other projects.

Much more open sound, but a bit thin, and no bass slam that is one of the good things in this kit.

Give it a try, just remove the IC, and then turn it on - works for me anyhow.