DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Not sure if this is the right way to ask this question or if it is really valid, but I'll throw it out there.

For those who have hands-on (maybe ears-on) experience, is the effort involved in implementing straight I2S to the chip - justified by the real audible quality improvement. I ask this in reference to this particular DAC, not as a general concept - thus hoping to hear from some who have actually made it work.

Thanks

hey bob, i'll have an answer for ya once my waveIO board arrives this month ;)

not to derail your inquiry but has anyone figured out how to work the slow roll-off filter on this chip?

when i tried the filter in the past with pcm1704 (the switch required cutting a leg from df1704 reciever) the sound became liquid. just lovely.

i image the result will be even better with 4396, or perhaps it's already activated? because it does sound smoooth~ :)

I have started shopping around for the components to upgrade the MINI2496 according to Dario's BOM but I am struggling finding some good smoothing caps for the opamp rails. I found some 3300uF FW's, and just wanted to make sure that they would be ok substitute for the 2200's on the BOM. Being just smoothing caps it seems like it should not matter much but I am worried that I might be missing something.

I found some 3300uF FW's, and just wanted to make sure that they would be ok substitute for the 2200's on the BOM.
3300uF would be better than 2200uF. I use 6800uF.

And now for something completely different ..

Has anyone been able to play 24bit/192kHz with this eBay toslink module?
!BhbgO0w!2k~$(KGrHqUH-DEErQMhy7+dBLJIR!DK9w~~_35.JPG

I put it on my CS4398 and it now plays only 96kHz.

Last edited:
Yes, but I'm not sure what that means. Using JRiver the settings are straight through WASPI and the windows 7 driver is set to play 192. The Audio path drop-down however is reporting 44.1 / 24 bit on the output side. I'm still checking for some other settings to see if 192 can go through the software.

In any event, what I'm hearing is great>

Found it.

Encoding Settings - JRiverWiki

1. Use CBR / ABR Encoding: Target Bitrate: 32, 64, 96, , 128, 160, 192, 256, 320 (Kbps)

2. DSP Studio - Output Format - Right Click in Sample rate box - "Set All to 192...".

Tools - Audio Path - Output now reports 192/24.

On some songs sync is lost causing the need to close the program. Still investigating.

Attachments

• JR192.jpg
    JR192.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 756
Last edited:
It is still a little confusing. Windows explorer shows the file to be 192k in the datails tab of the properties dialog. First photo shows a 192 source but the Audio Path drop-down indicates there is some sort of re-sampling going on. STRANGE>

BTW: The "96" LED is on while playing 192.

Also: The toslink playback is very sensitive to a good square straight solid fit of the plug. There are static-like blips and the LEDs flash accordingly. The BNC/RG59 connection shows no such problem - super stable.

Attachments

• 192a.jpg
    192a.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 740
  • 192b.jpg
    192b.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
IIS

Not sure if this is the right way to ask this question or if it is really valid, but I'll throw it out there.

For those who have hands-on (maybe ears-on) experience, is the effort involved in implementing straight I2S to the chip - justified by the real audible quality improvement. I ask this in reference to this particular DAC, not as a general concept - thus hoping to hear from some who have actually made it work.

Thanks

Bob Check out post #1531

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

here's how mine looks right now. just got done hooking up the altec 15356a transformers today and the result is impressive. very 3d, very natural, with plump bass but still doesnt have the op-amp's dynamics. everything's a compromise, i guess. mid and highs are flawless, everything sounds 'correct'.

but...

i still miss my crappy 1543 dac :p ak4396 doesn't do intoxication like the nos dac can. even with rolled off highs and artificial warmth, 1543 is still more engaging to listen to for me, at least. (i think i just listed the reasons hah)

can i upgrade the receiver section for better sound? my waveio shipped out today but like bcmbob, i'm wanting to guage how much improvement i can expect from digital do over ;)

you can also kinda see the blackgate 10uf and silmic i 47uf caps for the chip. i don't know what difference it made since i did most of the mods at once.

p.s. nail clippers make a great tool ;)

Last edited:
PreSapian :

Well done on your work.

I compared this dac kit with a friends TDA1541 twin S2 (Nos) kit, and it was marginally better in SQ.

One thing I'd avoid tho, is having all those extra pieces clumped so close together. Remember that there are many electronic components that 'breathe' or radiate a field and this can influence the overall performance of components when they're allowed to interact in close proximity to each other.

-Andy-

I compared this dac kit with a friends TDA1541 twin S2 (Nos) kit, and it was marginally better in SQ.

hi andy, do you mean the ak was better than the tda?

one thing i notice is that the ak4396 doesn't do microdynamics(another audiophile jargon for inner harmonics?) as well as my old 1543 dac. ripple of an oboe or how the cymbal splashes out as it decays for example, is better rendered on the nos dac. it's all there in the ak4396, but it's not as pronounced. and that's what i think makes it a more engaging listen for me.

Last edited:
hi andy, do you mean the ak was better than the tda?

one thing i notice is that the ak4396 doesn't do microdynamics(another audiophile jargon for inner harmonics?) as well as my old 1543 dac. ripple of an oboe or how the cymbal splashes out as it decays for example, is better rendered on the nos dac. it's all there in the ak4396, but it's not as pronounced. and that's what i think makes it a more engaging listen for me.
Agree about nos, but on the other hand my diy nos 1543 has a smaller scale than my ak4393.
NOS tda has greater tone density/colour, high priority for me.

I find the rolloff too low in my 1543 with lack of full range response a bit niggleing which is why i tried this ak4393 kit.

Cant comment about image depth on either because amplifier has a shallow soundstage.

Ak4393 kit seems more sensitive to component tweaking.

Sceptical about spdiff without clock syncing so next step is usb i2s into ak4393 ,to compare it against tda/usb i2s dac.

Salas Shunt Calcs for DAC 2496

finally, made few pics of mine :)

2/3 has been done according to Dario's BOM.
Added salas for +-12v and +5v and Dario's shunt with BD139 (now it's ok, it shows 8.6v with 8.2v zener) for +3.3v
Digital part has 2x2200uf BC caps now and one 2200uf for A+3.3

Hi Etas, can you share with me your Salas Calculator for the Salas shunt you use for the Op amp 12v and the 5v?

Would appreciate seeing other calculations for the same board if poss :)

Thanks, James.