Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2012, 07:12 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to mischa72
Very nice project. No display for the frequency?
Old 29th October 2012, 07:24 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

in fact, I do have a version that does that

Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget

link to source: Index of /spdif_meter_simple

this is standalone source that just runs in this 'private' arduino. its not part of the lcduino but it would be easy to convert this code, posted, to the lcd display.

when I finally get around to doing some wm8804/5 coding, I'll bring this bit of code over and it will show up on the lcd display.

for now, though, this should be enough to get you started. any questions, just ask.

Last edited by linuxworks; 29th October 2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 29th October 2012, 07:32 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Okay, great. I'm planning to build a preamp with integrated DAC, this meter could be a very nice feature.
Old 29th October 2012, 07:48 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

as long as you can grab wordclock (ie, the 44.1khz etc freq) and wave shape it a bit and feed it into the arduino on the right pin, it should decode it for you.

I've seen some small 8char lcd's (easy to fit in a place that wasn't expecting a large lcd) and that would be enough to hold the several digits you need to display 192.0k or something.

or, get one of the sparkfun 4 digit led modules and just interface this arduino to that.

btw, I think the reason I went this with as a standalone chip is that I didn't have to worry about any other task bumping into the software freq. counter. which is all this chip is really doing. for a $5 chip and some small parts, I didn't see the immediate need to merge this in and have to share time on 1 cpu.

have fun
Old 29th October 2012, 07:55 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

So now you're not using the arduino for the sample rate display? When this is possible with one chip and not loading the Arduino processor this is even better.
Old 10th December 2012, 10:45 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post
I seem to have luck with spdif. wiring never seems to be critical and receivers always lock on. I know, I know, the impedance gods will curse me for saying so. the audio sounds fine to me and no matter what I do, it never gets better or worse.

the proto was also just hand wired; but again, spdif seems to just plain work no matter what wire or connectors I use.
So, you may think that I could go around all the trouble and just plug in one of those to provide spdif coax switching? They are high-Q signal relays, my intention is to select one to a DAC input at a time.

I have seen all kind of multiplexer solutions but, why not avoid all troubles and just go with good old plain relays? Is impedance matching so important at that level, having in mind that you end up using cheap RCA chassis conector and no less cheaper interconnect cables, and everyting use to work pretty fine?

Eight DPDT Signal Relay Module Board 12VDC SKU177007 | eBay

Best regards

Hide this!Advertise here!