Behringer reliability - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2011, 12:19 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Behringer reliability

I am thinking of getting two Behringer products; the DEQ2496 EQ and an active crossover. I've read about so many early Behringer failures (sometimes spectacular in nature) that I'm getting nervous about Behringer products. There are alternatives to crossovers, like ART, but I haven't seen anything that competes with the DEQ2496 anywhere near $300.

What do you think?
Old 5th March 2011, 12:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The BBE DS48 is a good unit, but I believe the 24db/oct slopes are the max it will do. It is also more difficult to program, more like the old XTA units. The Behringers blow up though, and the BBE's dont. DBX Driverack is more $$$, but also robust and better user interface.
Old 5th March 2011, 12:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have used several of the DEQs and DCXs and have not had any problem. They are a very good value for the money. Not much else will match the features at even 2 or 3 times the price. They are also easy to modify if you are so inclined, The weakest link is the analog output section. There are several options for modifying this.

I would buy them new and not used and make sure the vendor has a good return policy if it is defective out of the box.

If you are using these in a commercial environment, then I would worry about reliability.

Beware that when others recommend alternatives to the Behringer, the prices will sky rocket.
Old 5th March 2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Banned

I can't speak for the DEQ2496, but I have 4 Behringer products, headphones, mixer, mic. and a USB DAC. They're entry-level products, but good value and I've had no reliability problems. The mixer and DAC are switched on probably 12 hours a day.

w
Old 5th March 2011, 01:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

BBE DS48 ~$300
DBX Driverack PA ~$425

Worth the extra $$$ if they have the features you want. Granted I use them in a commercial environment, but I don't think I've ever met a piece of Behringer gear that didn't--in some way--fail prematurely. Its always been odd to me that some people will go buy $5000 in amps and a $5000 pair of speakers and run the whole shebang through one of these.

FWIW
Old 5th March 2011, 01:36 AM   #6
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty much an XTA or Galileo guy, but don't forget about Xilica.
Old 5th March 2011, 02:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

A lot of different viewpoints. Thanks for them all and any others that may follow.

I should have mentioned that this is home use, not commercial, and the issues are not as critical. There are enough alternates for the XO that I probably will go another direction there. 24dB/oct is plenty and 18 would be fine for that matter. I think that some are only 2nd order, though (PylePro? I'm not sure).

I think I'm left with few alternatives for DEQ2496. Apparently it's luck of the draw with Behringer. Maybe one option would be to just get an extended warranty, if anybody dares sell them. Maybe that's what I'll do. Even $300 was a stretch for me, so anything more is not an option, unfortunately, although it's a lot of fun to look at some that high-end stuff. I do have a $30 Behringer UCA202 USB DAC interface which is now velcro'd to the lid of my laptop and I like a lot. It hasn't exploded yet...

I've been looking at the MiniDSP line of DIY boards which look promising and would fill the need. Problem with these is that they have to programmed through a PC and don't have the nice interface and display, etc, so are not very flexible.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by sprinter; 5th March 2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 5th March 2011, 02:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah I'm pretty much Galileo all the way...I like pretty pictures and buttons. DBX 4820 is a nice unit for a lot less $$$$.

Here is the deal with Behringer: they basically copy other people's designs and build them with cheaper components. They got into some hot water in pro audio circles a few years back and many pro audio types won't use their stuff just on principle, functioning or not.

Here is an interesting one: open up a QSC RMX amplifier, which is really just a chinese made version of the old MX series(old school Winchester technology a-la Crown MA or Crest x001 series). Now open a Behringer EX, and lo-and-behold, its the SAME amp. A QSC rep even told me they were built in the same factory. What is different is the transformer in the QSC is about twice the size, and the components are supposedly of a higher quality(according to my electronics guys). Whats funny is when you hook both amps up to a big beefy load, say a 2x18 sub in bridge mode, the QSC will absolutely smoke the Behringer, and often the Behringer will just thermal out in a few minutes.

I don't believe in $8000 speaker cables or $800 IEC cables, and frankly I've run McIntosh amps and high quality pro amps in my home setup, and none of my golden ears friends or myself can objectively tell them apart. But--to a point--you definitely get what you pay for.
Old 5th March 2011, 02:30 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

One more satisfied user :

Since 3 years that I use a DCX, no trouble yet. I did a lot of tweaks, some of them quite dirty with sparks and white smoke, but never blown something in the main card. For a digital device, I can say that it is really strong. OTOH, tweaking is very easy (modular structure) and very efficient.

Ok for home use, it's a bargain, but paradoxically not for pro PA with SPDIF...The Bug...
Old 5th March 2011, 04:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I wonder if I even need the DEQ. What I ultimately need minimally is a two-way variable crossover at least 3rd order, plus an EQ that I can use for general system and room EQ. The EQ should be digital mostly because I want to have several switchable settings programmed for different music and situations. I think parametric-only would be okay, although the 1/3 octave graphic is certainly nice, but frankly, I don't understand how they work well enough to judge what is adequate for me.

Will the DCX or a similarly priced alternative do all that adequately for home purposes? I'd also like to use REW or similar to sweep the room, but I am willing to manually input the suggested settings to the EQ.

Sorry Galileo people, unless you want to loan me the $3200, that one is out...

Do my questions make sense? I'm really new to this stuff.

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!