New to world of DACs, etc...need resources to learn the basics - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2011, 10:02 AM   #11
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

oh yeah because dsd (for sacd) is such an open format....

this limits you to using a sacd player and a VERY small number of diy hacked interfaces. it is very possible to have good usb sound via diy. the acko aku-24 is one quality interface and twisted paer along with exa devices and a couple of others are making good inroads. imo dsd is a limiting factor and there really is very little music that is available this way as opposed for hirez flac. if you are going this way, computer as source, dsd is not an option

Last edited by qusp; 3rd March 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:22 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntechnik View Post
Digitizing basically is a decimation process of an analog signal to series of discrete values...
True, although decimation should read sampling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntechnik View Post
...that means information in between samples lost forever.
False. Samples are taken frequently enough that all components of the source which are audible can be (and are) reconstructed. This is a mathematical truth.

w
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:58 AM   #13
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

If he understood Fourier etc. he might realise that provided he is within the Nyquist limit there is no information between samples to lose! But of course, we have been told that Fourier has nothing to do with this.

I warned the OP not to believe everything people say.
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:59 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
oh yeah because dsd (for sacd) is such an open format....
Unfortunately or fortunately because labels do care about quality recordings on SACD media since they are sure that would not be distributed via Internet worldwide tomorrow is not an open format. That is why computer DSD playback - SONY supports DSD playback on their VAIO notebooks for example - is not so practical since quality recordings above RedBook resolution is limited to SACD or DVDA media. DVDA are less popular among labels at ratio 2 to 1 in favor of SACD I would say but DVDA can be played on a regular PC tha is a bonus. I have Audigy 2 ZS so I tried - it works. Not sure if Meridian MLP decoded by Creative DVDA player or handled by sound card hardware. Most likely software playback. Anyway I prefer SACD or RedBook.

imho tweaking something like OPPO 93 with direct DSD playback would results in almost perfect playback device. Just an idea.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:13 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakibaki View Post
True, although decimation should read sampling.

False. Samples are taken frequently enough that all components of the source which are audible can be (and are) reconstructed. This is a mathematical truth.

w
Agreed with both statements 100%. I was trying to explain it in a way that emphasis the concept because sometimes professional vocabulary might made simple things harder to understand for a person who has no professional background in the area especially.

Also hardware that reveals all sonic potential of RedBookCD cost too much usually. SACD claimed to be more user friendly price-wise in advertisement articles at least.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:19 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

[/QUOTE]

Probably not. What's a 'regular Mac desktop'?

Exactly what digital audio outputs does your computer have?[/QUOTE]

It's a one year old Mac desktop fully loaded with every option Mac offered one year ago. Other than that, I can't tell you much about it. It's my wife's rig.

It has two built in speakers and about six USB ports on the back....as far as I know that's it.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:26 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I guess without getting too technical.....can someone tell me the best way to use my Mac as a music server.....?
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:30 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Here's the details of the Mac, says it's got a digital audio output "mini jack"
Old 3rd March 2011, 01:03 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

If you want to use your mac as a server, it will do just fine. The mini jack is a combination jack, so has both analog and an optical output. It works just fine, and at this point is the least of your concerns. You will need to connect a fiber optic cable to this jack with the appropriate connector, and the result you get is an optical SPDIF signal. You will need to either have a DAC with a toslink (optical) receiver, or standard coax. If coax, you will need to convert the optical to SPDIF. There are cheap and not so cheap converters available to do this.
Old 3rd March 2011, 02:55 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

So, could I wire this into my existing DAC to make it accept Toslink?
TOSLINK Optical Input Module
It says ot is a Toslink to SPDIF converter with a 2-lead SPDIF output...I would imagine I could splice these leads into the the back of my existing SPDIF RCA plug.....?

Hide this!Advertise here!