Emu 1212m problems - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2011, 08:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Emu 1212m problems

I hope it is not a problem to also make new thread about my problem with 1212m. So here is post again:

Hello,
I have 1212m rev 1 with FW port.
Looks like nice sounding card.
Anyway, in the last time, i have problem with one channel.
I'm using the cards analog outputs, unbalanced, and connected to the int amp CD input.
Anyway, problem is that the left channel has become obviously quieter than the right channel! Id say about 20db quieter. What can be the problem, please?
I experimented a little, and found out that when I take left TS connector and pull it about 1/2 inch out of the card, the sound becomes OK level. So, i would say that when using left TS the sound is attenuated about 20db but if using RS the sound is OK. On the right channel, the sound is the same level if the connector is fully put into the card (TS) as it is if I pull out connector about 1/2inch so it uses RS signal. I hope to help you with this to help me find a problem.
Also, I measured voltage on the outputs: right TS and RS have about 0mV while left RS have also 0mV but left TS have about 20mV.
Please, thanks for help.
Old 20th February 2011, 12:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Have I missed the forum?
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Any help, PLEASE?!?!?
Old 23rd February 2011, 07:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

bump
Old 27th February 2011, 11:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Anybody here?
Old 1st March 2011, 04:51 AM   #6
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Ja bih ti rado pomogao, ali...

It is hard to comment on what seems to be ether intermittent problem or I would say weird problem. DId you try to seat that card better? That reminds me to a problem I had with memory. Once I had some weird problems with the computer and I discovered it to be the memory problem. I pulled the memory out and cleaned contacts first with alcohol and than with simple rubber eraser (sa gumicom) Than I placed it back and made sure it is seated well.

In your case that is the first thing I would try. Next I would clean with contact cleaner all audio connectors. That might solve the problem.

Bets luck, and let us know if it worked.

Last edited by AR2; 1st March 2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 1st March 2011, 12:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks God.....or better say AR2
No, that is not the problem.
I believe the problem is in the analog board.
Im not good at electronics, but believe like some cap, or opamp or resistor, or some other component has lost its specification.
My english is not very good, but im afraid you dont understand my problem in the first post.
I measured with the voltmeter accross output connectors and all are fine (0mv) except left TS where is 20mV. So, it is some defective component, i would say. Or worn out. My PC has many many work hours! During the year it is way more ON than OFF. And the 1212m is 3 years with me.
Anyway thanks for helping.
Old 1st March 2011, 03:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Also, I believe that schematic of the analog board would help me find an issue.
Old 4th March 2011, 04:33 AM   #9
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugoslavija View Post
Also, I believe that schematic of the analog board would help me find an issue.
I am little bit confused here:

" Also, I measured voltage on the outputs: right TS and RS have about 0mV while left RS have also 0mV but left TS have about 20mV."

How many outputs are there? Two or more? 20mV of DC offset does not need to be any indication, so lets not get stuck on that. My question is: What kind of output signal is coming out of your card - balanced or single ended? Do you use RCA, mini jacks or banana connectors? Could you make a picture of your card and connectors please.
Old 4th March 2011, 02:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes. Card has 2 TRS outputs (L and R). They are mono, (either) balanced/unbalanced outputs. So every output has actually 2 signals, one of wich is inverted (balanced output). So, on the output that is working ok, both signals ( TS and RS) are 0mV. On the other output TS has 20mV and RS is also 0mV. And when I put the male plug into the card, the output is very quiet. But If I pull out the plug about 1cm, so it connects to RS, the output is ok.
I will put a photo in a moment.

Last edited by jugoslavija; 4th March 2011 at 03:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!