DAC with Four PCM 1704, PMD100, CS8412 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2011, 11:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to gabrielbecheanu Send a message via Yahoo to gabrielbecheanu
Default DAC with Four PCM 1704, PMD100, CS8412

Hi
A few days ago a friend of mine bring me a DAC with four PCM1704, PMD100 HDCD decoder and CS8412 receiver to listen. This DAC was bought from Analog metric..
The DAC have one S/PDIF and one AES.EBU input,
I made two power transformers but the DAC doesn’t work.
Any one has experience with this DAC?
Any suggestion?
Best regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1751.jpg (525.5 KB, 1575 views)
Old 19th February 2011, 04:11 PM   #2
pionik is offline pionik  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielbecheanu View Post
I made two power transformers but the DAC doesn’t work.
Hi, check schematics of PSU part for this DAC. I have another model of DAC from this firm and found that they made very strange shematics in PSU - they use the same type of regulators chip to obtain (-) and (+) voltage. Thus, (-) voltage they derived with regulator placed in path to common "earth" on PCB. You need separate second windings (not common earth connection between them) on transformers for EACH voltage on PCB connector, even with eaqual values. After your previous attempt and before new connection, you need check all diods in PSU - some of them already could be broken.
Old 20th February 2011, 08:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to gabrielbecheanu Send a message via Yahoo to gabrielbecheanu
Thanks pionik
I just received the schematic diagram and i will check everything from power supply to output stage.
If some one made an improvement to this DAC i would like to know more about it.
I think that this DAC has more to show me after I will make him to work again
I have a DAC with CS4398 from Ebay, i will compare him with this four PCM1704 digital analog converter . I am so curios to see who will win the contest.
Best regards
Old 29th March 2011, 01:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

How did you get on Gabriel?

Would be interesting to see how it compared with your dac.
Old 29th March 2011, 03:15 PM   #5
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

its not such a strange way to use floating regulators, as long as they inform the customer. in fact myself and a friend are utilizing the same technique with our dac psu. we are doing it for reasons 2 fold. the very high quality linear tech lt1764a regulator does not have a negative pole counterpart of the same extreme high quality, low noise and current capability and we can buy in bulk all the same chip to use throughout all 10 regulated voltages, simplifying layout and allowing bulk pricing on the regs
Old 20th August 2012, 09:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi
Finally i manage to fix this DAC with the help of a friend of mine but i am disappointed. A lot of components for nothing.
Will be better to make another one with this good quality parts.
I have the service manual for Nakamichi Dragon and I intend to inspire from them to make another DAC with 4x pcm1704 with HDCD decoding and 192khz support.
Best regards
Old 21st August 2012, 03:57 AM   #7
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

what is the I/V converter and the output buffer?

Your sound may be limited there, not in the digital end - depending on what they really did on the digital side...

_-_-bear
Old 21st August 2012, 04:02 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
As its Analogmetric I doubt the problem's in the parts, the layouts are what suck. As well as some of the dubious design decisions in some instances (like on my TDA1541A version).
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi
I made more tests to this DAC and none with good results
24\96 don`t play well ,after a few seconds he start to loose digital signal
and the output stage is awful. I will try another time with another output stage.
I found something interesting in Romania with 1704. It is made by a company from Iasi, i will talk with them to make some test if is possible.
Here is the product Audiobyte OEM
This is not advertising
Old 23rd August 2012, 03:16 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The CS8412 is not a true 24bit/96 receiver. Try using an 8414. I am not familiar with the dac you have but if I recall correctly the 1704 needs to be configured differently to process 24bit. You can do this in hardware mode. Check the 1704 datasheet.

Hide this!Advertise here!