a new multibit DAC chip Arda technologies AT1401

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
meh, you guys can keep your passive IV. very cool that you can finally play around with a chip that is still in production though. I like the sound of the AT1525 cleanup phaselock loop chip. i'm going to keep an eye on it, because it does sound quite intriguing and a fresh way of doing things.

option for external reference is good, hardly unique though

... an I/V stage with fast OpAmps (LT1807, LT6200 ?) should be all right.

No, I wouldn't recommend LT6200 in I/V duty. I've found that opamps designed for low noise are more susceptible to RF - they don't give good sound without a lot of circuit tricks. LT1807 is better, at 3.5nV, but still would need careful feeding. Since the signal levels are so high in I/V, low noise isn't a primary requirement.

Well its the output where we measure the SNR. So let's see, if we want 120dB SNR and the bandwidth is say 40kHz (assuming we're running at 96kHz) then that's 2uV in sqrt(40000) which comes out at 10nV/sqrtHz by my estimation. In an I/V, the opamp is operating at unity noise gain typically - its effectively a follower noise-wise. That is assuming that the DAC's output impedance is high relative to the feedback resistor used and its output capacitance isn't high enough to raise the noise in the audio band.

We can add another 3dB when the DAC's being used to generate a balanced output as the signal will be correlated but the noise not. -123dB noise floor is fairly unlikely to be found on any real-world recording btw - the noise floor of 16bit/44k1 is around -93dB, depending on the dither used.

I like to have some headroom for the I/V resistor noise and for the one originating in the DAC ladder/curent supply... If I can minimize one influence (OpAmp noise), why not?
I think anything below 3.5uV/sqrtHz should be all right.
And yes, I am thinking at 24bit/96kHz sources, not necesarly CD's. After all, 120dB means "only" 20bit resolution.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.