Help me modify the HLLY DMK-IV - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2011, 01:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help me modify the HLLY DMK-IV

I recently bought a preamp, however its not working as good as I was expecting.

Returning the preamp would take ages so I decided to fix it instead, or atleast try to.

And in order to do that I need your help. I'm a little unsure where I should start.

Basicly the problem is that its not quiet, there is noise coming from it. Its also producing some DC offset, but I'll add a DC blocking cap on the input of my amp to fix that.

The problem is this noise, its there on every single output, DAC-out, PRE-out and Headphone out.

If I change source to an digital source that's not being used the noise goes away. When I select the analog source the noise is still there (or a digital source that's being used). The noise also goes away when I press mute on the remote.

The noise does not increase with increased volume.

So far I've only secured the connections to earth and cleaned up the PCB (it was full of flux)

Schematics can be found HERE

Maxhax
Old 23rd January 2011, 03:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The noise is probably not coming from the +-15v since it goes away when you press mute. It could be coming from the +5v volume rails. I would try the easy stuff like moving all the power wires away from the signal wires and have all the wires cross at 90's.

The inputs are cap coupled with c514 and c515. You could try bypassing those electrolytics with something better like a mk box cap.
Old 29th January 2011, 04:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

So what I have done now are:

Soldering Wima MK 330pf to -Vs and +Vs on all of the AD797BR's, both preamp and dac buffer.

Installing Wima MK 330pf in the "additional" slot right next to the AD797 on preamp (C517/C518).

Bypassing the coupling capacitors C514 and C515 with Wima MK 330pf soldered directly to the legs under the PCB.

Shortening and twinning the mains cable.

This reduced the noise by 80% and totally removed the DC offset. I was previously reading about 1.1VDC at the speaker terminals after my power amp, now Its throttling between 3mVDV and 15mVDC.

Thanks alot for the help nightanole!
Old 29th January 2011, 04:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Maxhax,

I have a DMK IV but it is very quiet & no significant DC offset at outputs. I would be interested in getting the schematics but the link above does not work for me (webpage not found)...can you please try reposting the link.
Old 29th January 2011, 04:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
Maxhax,

I have a DMK IV but it is very quiet & no significant DC offset at outputs. I would be interested in getting the schematics but the link above does not work for me (webpage not found)...can you please try reposting the link.
It doesnt work for me either now, luckily I had it on my HDD.

Uploaded it for you:

A swedish host: http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/DMK-IV-SCH.pdf
Rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/445171173/DMK-IV-SCH.pdf
Old 29th January 2011, 05:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Mahax,

That worked perfectly...thanks for the quick reply!!
Old 29th January 2011, 06:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The links works sort of, you have to cut off part of it and go back to all schematics.
Old 15th January 2012, 08:01 PM   #8
niekos is offline niekos  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Does someone still have the pdf somewhere? Lunks above do not seem to work anymore unfortunately?

Hide this!Advertise here!