Lampizator question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2011, 01:18 AM   #11
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Srinath, the fact that you need to ask whether a transformer is needed tells me at the least you should read the safety thread in the tubes forum. It's a fundamental safety issue that you don't quite seem to grasp (yet), and I'm sure you will.. It's just that I don't want you or someone else to get hurt in the mean time so don't take it the wrong way please.

Brdgs, Kevin
Old 10th January 2011, 04:02 AM   #12
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

Yea that is a good idea. I will take all needed safety precautions. The first thing I need to do and complete and do some trial listening is the fet-i-zator. That will tell me if I need the tubeizator or stay with fet.
Cool.
Srinath.
Old 10th January 2011, 04:48 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I am using some of the lampizator designs in current project and so far am satisfied with results. Having built valve amp previously and modded various bits of kit I am reasonably happy with my abilities, safety kit and approach. However caution is something am keen on being a rank amateur so could do with reading the safety thread myself - if I could find it..... where is it? Out of interest why does a tranny make things safer? There's still enough power in a valve amp to kill a herd of horses.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:46 AM   #14
singa is offline singa  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to singa Send a message via MSN to singa Send a message via Yahoo to singa
Quote:
Originally Posted by revoli View Post
I am using some of the lampizator designs in current project and so far am satisfied with results. Having built valve amp previously and modded various bits of kit I am reasonably happy with my abilities, safety kit and approach. However caution is something am keen on being a rank amateur so could do with reading the safety thread myself - if I could find it..... where is it? Out of interest why does a tranny make things safer? There's still enough power in a valve amp to kill a herd of horses.
If you are using AC from wall socket then it is neccesary to have a transformer
because your circuit like dvd player only needs 5v - negative 28V for display
and it is easy to step down using coils of wire to make tranny.At the same time as you know a transformer works by electromagnetic induction meaning the primary coil does not need to touch or make contact like wires to complete
an electrical circuit.This is what is called isolation.It's like you have flu and you don't want to pass it to your wife so you sleep in the next room. another way of saying isolation. or simply separation or put a distance from... something "dangerous".

With regards the high voltage in a tube amp that's another story which is one that you are fully aware and alert that you know that high voltage can give a nasty shock or kill so you treat it with proper respect and not be foolish to disregard or dismiss the potential danger. Regards.

Last edited by singa; 10th January 2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10th January 2011, 01:44 PM   #15
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoli View Post
<snip> However caution is something am keen on being a rank amateur so could do with reading the safety thread myself - if I could find it..... where is it? Out of interest why does a tranny make things safer? There's still enough power in a valve amp to kill a herd of horses.
It's one of the stickies in the tube/valve forum here..

Safety Practices, General and Ultra-High Voltage
Old 10th January 2011, 01:47 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thx.
Old 10th January 2011, 02:33 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I'll add my voice to the choir -

there are plenty of cheap power transformers out there - for example, check out Allied Electronics. Also available with 6.3V taps for filaments. There is no reason to play with direct AC, especially in the "mild" world of audio.
Old 10th January 2011, 05:02 PM   #18
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

Allied electronics. Thanks.
I have a few trannies here and there from DOA amps. I am tempted to use them, though they all look like they would stick out 3 inch over the top of the player - which in my situation is a no no. I dont have rack space for that. The cd player has to get modded and still have the exact same exterior size/shape dimensions.
Cool.
Srinath.

Hide this!Advertise here!