Balanced AES/EBU to/from optical S/PDIF - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2011, 02:27 PM   #11
novec is offline novec  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to novec
Why all the 74 chips? I'm guessing signal level matching and such, but I'm not quite up to par on these things...

Next step is to eliminate AES alltogether, either by running I2S over LVDS or going for something else than the Lynx AES16, but that won't be for a while yet.

Last edited by novec; 4th January 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 4th January 2011, 02:40 PM   #12
RIP

Don't sweat it, if you ever need to do something like that just Google SPDIF buffer or something like that. Tent Labs uses a simple circuit that reclocks and buffers SPDIF, I've used it several times, piece of cake.
Old 4th January 2011, 05:20 PM   #13
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Behringer SRC2496

Quote:
Originally Posted by novec View Post
Yes, I'm sure this has been answered before, but I can't find any good answers by searching. Sorry...

I've got a Lynx AES16 digital sound card with balanced AES/EBU inputs and outputs, and need to convert them to and from optical and coax S/PDIF. Circuits for balanced AES/EBU to coax S/PDIF are abundant, but I haven't found anything for optical. Anyone have anything up their sleeves?
Try a Behringer SRC2496. Must have product for a cheap price.
Behringer SRC2496 Ultramatch Pro at zZounds
Old 5th January 2011, 06:22 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

sendler: No way, I'm going all out on the DIY My main goal is to build a good 10-channel DAC, inputs and outputs are a less important afterthought that I'm not too quality concious about.

Bill: Do you have the schematics handy? A quick google search didn't give me much.

Just to clarify my situation at this point: I've already had the DAC boards made, which is simply a DIR9001 S/PDIF receiver feeding dual mono PCM1794A DACs with DATA, BCK, LRCK and master clock. That means any kind of reclocking has to happen in the S/PDIF domain, and that'll simply have to wait. The HT receiver I'm using at the moment just burned its line level outputs, so I gotta get this thing moving... And the only thing I'm missing to get that done at the moment are the S/PDIF inputs and outputs.
Old 5th January 2011, 07:35 AM   #15
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

who says you have to use XLR for AES? I agree any number of other connectors are more suitable (lemo, hirose, RJ45, HDMI, some molex etc), but that doesnt make AES unworthy IMO, sure i2s is superior for audio, but once its out of the case it loses ground (but you know that)

10 channel dac woah!! i'm going for 6-8 channels for an XO, you? whats the end goal for all those channels an XO as wel?

Last edited by qusp; 5th January 2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 5th January 2011, 10:35 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

For the DAC I'm using a DB25 breakout cable, but I want to use standard connectors for other I/O.

I2S in its common application is only good for short in-case connections, as you point out, but PWatts did some very promising work on LVDS buffers over CAT5 cable. He did some measurements on an Audio Precision and had almost perfect transmission over 10-20 meters. But like I said, that'll be later, if ever. He was working on some FPGA-based power DACs (digital amps) too, but that sorta died out.

The 10 channels will be for three-way fronts (dual mono DACs, LC Audio ZAPfilter, balanced JoshuaTree relay attenuator), two-way center and two surround speakers (stereo DACs, simple opamp I/V, single ended JoshuaTree). AES outputs are mainly there for future upgrades like active XO surrounds, 7.1 speakers and the like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg assy.jpg (169.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg _solid.jpg (70.6 KB, 139 views)
Old 5th January 2011, 12:39 PM   #17
RIP

If all you need to do is feed transformer isolated AES3 to a DIR9001, all you need to do is terminate the line with a 110 ohm resistor, the DIR9001 can handle it.

If you haven't yet, go to rane.com and search for spdif, all the info you could ever need is there.

I'll see if I can find a link to using a D flip-flop for buffering.

Best, Bill
Old 5th January 2011, 12:48 PM   #18
RIP

epanorama.net/S/PDIF Interface
Old 5th January 2011, 07:00 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novec View Post

........and AES has an input voltage range of 0.2-7V to cater for both S/PDIF coax, optical and AES/EBU.
2.0V not 0.2V.
Old 5th January 2011, 08:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Bill. I've read the "Interfacing AES3 & S/PDIF" note on Rane, but your link is far more useful when it comes to optical interfacing. My brain must have had a case of bad input voltage itself when it thought I could feed a TORX177 straight into AES...

rfbrw: AES output voltage is 2.0 to 7.0 Vpp, but the minimum input voltage is 0.2 Vpp, as stated in the Rane note above. So AES inputs can take S/PDIF, but not necessarily the other way around.

Last edited by novec; 5th January 2011 at 08:03 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!