2 ch. 24 bit ADC USB/Firewire converter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2010, 07:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2 ch. 24 bit ADC USB/Firewire converter

I've built a nice 2 channel mic preamp and I'd like to be able to record with it onto my computer. Ideally I'd use a soundcard, but my imac has no PCI slots so it looks like some sort of USB or Firewire ADC is in order.

My problem is that I would like a converter without mic preamps, but all the interfaces I'm seeing have them built in. I can DIY something, but I've never worked with digital component and frankly I'm not sure I want to. Does anyone have some tip on stereo USB ADCs for under $500 (or DIY kits that I could solder without specialized equipment)?

Thanks!
Old 29th December 2010, 12:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Echo Audiofire 2 Firewire
Presonus FireStudio Mobile FireWire
E-MU 0404 USB
E-MU 0204 USB

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 29th December 2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 29th December 2010, 03:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

OK. thanks for the tips. I'm looking, however, for converters that don't have preamps built-in; it appears that these do. Pure A/D conversion. No sense in pre-amping the signal twice if you see how I mean.
Old 30th December 2010, 02:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The preamp section is always selectable - mic or line in.
I don't know if that's what is bothering you...
If you want more separation, the E-MU Traker Pre has even "insert" inputs that are connected right before A/D converter (AK5385):
Quote:
Inserts (1L & 2R)
These unbalanced TRS jacks allow you to insert a signal processor, such as a compressor or EQ, after the mic preamps, but before the A/D converter stage. The Insert jacks can also be used to tap off the mic preamp outputs when using the Tracker Pre as a stand-alone stereo microphone preamp.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 30th December 2010 at 02:24 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!