BUILD THREAD - A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2010, 10:55 PM   #1
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default BUILD THREAD - A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

There is a critical design update here:

A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Please read this before ordering any parts!!!! I will update the BOM attached below at some point and see if I can have up replaced.

Hi Guys,

This will be the official build thread for the I/V stage PCB group buy. Please post all build related questions here.

Also, feel free to post pictures of your build, chassis ideas, parts suggestions etc...

I'll start things off with a final schematic and SMD BOM which people will need for the build. I'll have a BOM posted for the remainder of the PTH parts, and it will include all the parts I used in my build.

Cheers,
Owen
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OFFICIAL BOM.pdf (24.4 KB, 1342 views)
File Type: pdf OFFICAIL SCHEMATIC.pdf (124.3 KB, 3023 views)

Last edited by opc; 10th October 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 4th December 2010, 02:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi, Owen,

May I ask how to calculate the best input cap value? (like C39, C41)?

Thanks,
Old 4th December 2010, 11:29 AM   #3
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

its really of little consequence, I would and will be just leaving them unpopulated.

2 of the boards I have here are now populated with SMD, came together pretty easy
Old 6th December 2010, 12:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Dear Owen,

Which components are included with the PCB ? It's still not clear to me what else I will have to buy after I receive the PCB and the extra components from qusp.

Please let me know, as I have a order to close with Digikey, and they charge 30 $ to ship to Japan.

Thanks,

Davide
Old 6th December 2010, 12:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

compare the 2 BOMs and what is missing you buy. mostly just spdif input TX, PTH caps, heatsinks for the regulator section (unless you choose to get a larger sink than the conrad MF12-151) the regulators, 200R resistors, molex connectors/headers, input and output jacks, standoffs etc etc.

BTW guys, sorry for the lag on the pics, I was expecting the Zfoils today so held off, but tracking ended up adjusting the delivery date due to some computer glitch meaning they had to be processed manually, most likely will still turn up tomorrow, they are sitting about 10km away and would be pretty slack for them to sit there for 3 days, but then this IS UPS we are talking about

Last edited by qusp; 6th December 2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 6th December 2010, 07:40 PM   #6
dggs is offline dggs  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Owen,

Is it possible for you to post the complete BOM for the board, not just the SMD parts?

Thanks,
Old 7th December 2010, 02:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

its already been posted more than once, but yeah probably a good idea to have it here on the first page before this thread moves on
Old 7th December 2010, 03:04 AM   #8
dggs is offline dggs  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, I found it.
link to complete BOM
page 37, post 361
Old 7th December 2010, 03:35 AM   #9
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

I've attached a new updated BOM with all parts needed for the DAC. These are all the parts that I used in my build, so I can vouch for all of them working well. Not everyone will need every part on the list, and some people may need parts that are not on the list, like the connectors to the Buffalo DAC. Please review the BOM carefully and decide what you may or may not need for your particular build.

I have also attached a power dissipation calculator at the request of qusp. It's an Excel file, and all you need to do is punch in the rail voltage you want to use, the resistance values you're using (usually 200 and 400 ohm) and the DC voltage before the regs. Common values are already in there, so you may not need to change anything.

All the individual dissipation as well as total dissipation values are on there.

For reference, using the suggested Antek transformers and 45V rails, your total dissipation including the regs will be about 48W. With transformer losses, you'll be drawing a little over 50W from the wall.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OFFICIAL BOM - COMPLETE.pdf (30.0 KB, 892 views)
File Type: zip Power Dissipation.zip (4.6 KB, 321 views)
Old 7th December 2010, 03:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dggs View Post
Yes, I found it.
link to complete BOM
page 37, post 361
actually mate, that BOM has a mistake with the 10uf smd caps, best to use the one opc just posted. I went back to see if there was a more modern one, but there wasnt, no wonder I used the 'wrong' one the other day even delete that link you posted if you still have time

Hide this!Advertise here!