BUILD THREAD - A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2013, 04:44 PM   #521
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

Woohooo! :-)
Old 12th February 2013, 08:49 PM   #522
diyAudio Member

My transformer is probably something like 400VA... A friend of mine is doing the troubleshooting, I will ask him about the specs of the transformer.
Old 15th February 2013, 06:24 AM   #523
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

all packed and ready to go, money cleared to my bank account from paypal yesterday I think, sorry I would have covered it on the card, but had a couple bills this week too. sitting here waiting for the car to get back ;( its 4.20PM, pretty sure this afternoon's last pickup is 4.30PM. will update tonight.
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:31 PM   #524
diyAudio Member

Below are the parts received from qusp today:

Coolhead - Auricap x 4, ZFoil x 1set, K-Redx1, PCB x 1, FET x 1set
atom6422- Auricap x 8, ZFoil x 1set, K-Redx2, PCB x 1, FET x 1set
ccliu - Auricap x 4, ZFoil x 1set, K-Redx1, PCB x 1,
remaining PCBx3 and FETx3 sets with nos:21, 25 & 29. According to OPC's latest list on matched FET, these nos seem not belong to any Asian members.

Please PM to confirm the quantities are correct with paypal account and shipping address. I will PM you the cost for shipping. Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 05:48 PM   #525
diyAudio Member

Hi All

One of mine zfoil SMDs cracked ... #%"#&#&/%/%!!!

so (not very likely) ... but still:
does anyone have an extra zfoil 30K9 (R12 etc), that they want to sell?

Peter
Old 5th March 2013, 10:56 PM   #526
diyAudio Member

R12 is just SMD resistor, not Zfoil, only cost a few cents. you can order it from digikey.
Old 6th March 2013, 03:16 AM   #527
diyAudio Member

he is using Zfoils for all of the other stuff, cant remember if he got the power resistors (wasnt in teh GB). I dont know why, particularly for 30k9 as it just helps split the rails for the bias, given the tolerance will be thrown totally out of whack due to there being a pot there too I dont get it. I cant remember if you got SMD ASMP Pete, vaguely remember you didnt. The chances of finding someone with a replacement are very small, but hey who knows.

Last edited by qusp; 6th March 2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 11th March 2013, 02:57 PM   #528
diyAudio Member

After powered the unit for more than 10 minutes, the temperature on the FETs reach 60 deg C and still raising slowly. Regulators is around 45 deg. PSU output at 44.98 to 45.03.

Is it normal?

I search the thread and can't find any information on how to adjust VR6-9, please help.
Old 11th March 2013, 03:10 PM   #529
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi bigpandahk,

All of that seems about right. Or at least, mine runs at those temps.

The temp of the fets depends entirely on the heatsink size, and it sounds like yours might be a little on the small side.

The regulator temps depend a lot on the voltage on the unregulated side and the voltage of the rails. They dissipate the dropped voltage.

For setup:

1. Set the output of each supply rail to the desired DC value (I use 45VDC)
2. Use the other pots to set the voltage at each DAC output node (with reference to GND) to 1.65VDC.

Allow to stabilize and re-adjust.

Once it's all stable, connect up the DAC and fire it up. Let it settle in again and adjust one last time, then you're good to go.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 11th March 2013, 03:34 PM   #530
diyAudio Member

of course its normal to get warm, the thing is burning 50W in Class A. with such a large and long heatsink I expect it will take quite a while to reach full temp and will get hotter once you case it in. but whether its normal depends on how hot they end up in the case.

you need to carefully measure the output on the shunt regs powering AVCC on the ESS, divide that in half for AVCC/2 and note it down and set the gate bias to that with the pot with a multimeter across the source to ground.

make sure the dac is not mounted when doing the D1 setup. it is risky and also will mess with the set up voltages.

so without it fitted, set source to ground voltage on each fet to AVCC/2, wait for it to warm up, check and adjust again if needed. power down, attach dac, power it all up and adjust again as this will change it slightly. if all checks out, play some music!

Last edited by qusp; 11th March 2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: removed attitude

Hide this!Advertise here!