BUILD THREAD - A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2013, 09:59 AM   #511
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

the reg doesnt know what is high voltage and what isnt, so I doubt its that; more likely the current limit. what is your input voltage after the bridge and output voltage? it is possible you are over-stressing them in that regard, as dropout voltage Vin-Vout is what matters most.
Old 10th February 2013, 10:09 AM   #512
diyAudio Member

Yup. I guess what the variac achieves is a reduction in the rate of change of the output voltage thanks to its added inductance and has nothing to do with the actual voltage.

Nikola's thermistors achieve the same. Of course it's a better idea to use voltage regulators with a more tolerant short circuit protection.

Part of the issue is no doubt the 300VA mains transformers i use. Resistance of the secondaries is about 0.1R

Last edited by analog_sa; 10th February 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10th February 2013, 01:02 PM   #513
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Yup. I guess what the variac achieves is a reduction in the rate of change of the output voltage thanks to its added inductance and has nothing to do with the actual voltage.

Nikola's thermistors achieve the same. Of course it's a better idea to use voltage regulators with a more tolerant short circuit protection.

Part of the issue is no doubt the 300VA mains transformers i use. Resistance of the secondaries is about 0.1R
You could definitely be on to something with that... I use dual 50VA toroids for my setup which have a much higher secondary DCR than a 300VA unit would.

Also, if Nikola solved his issue with thermistors, then that's a pretty strong indicator that it is tied to secondary DCR.

The rest of both setups sounds perfectly reasonable, and I can't think of anything other than the above that could be causing it, unless of course the parts are fake.

I attached pictures from a known good batch of Fairchild parts which should match the pictures taken by Nikola. There are a handful of suspicious differences, but if he bought his 10 years ago and they were diffused in different places, then it could just be changes in production. I have attached pictures for reference.

Anyhow... Perhaps Nikola can confirm what size toroid he is using so we can send out a general warning to everyone to avoid high VA toroids, or adjust the circuit accordingly.

Cheers,
Owen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8471.JPG (275.7 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8472.JPG (279.9 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8473.JPG (272.8 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8474.JPG (269.8 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8475.JPG (238.1 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8476.JPG (248.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 10th February 2013, 02:05 PM   #514
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
the reg doesnt know what is high voltage and what isnt, so I doubt its that; more likely the current limit. what is your input voltage after the bridge and output voltage? it is possible you are over-stressing them in that regard, as dropout voltage Vin-Vout is what matters most.

Remember at startup the cap keeps the output briefly at zero, so max dropout can also be exceeded. It may well be a combination of exceeding both current and voltage limit of the regulator which in some makes triggers the protection.

Seems like my heatsink is a bit too small and in order to keep temperature below 60C had the voltage output reduced to 41v. It may be a fluke but at this output voltage start up seems trouble free.
Old 10th February 2013, 08:01 PM   #515
diyAudio Member

better than failing open =) the options at this voltage are not many and varied, but its not an uncommon use, i've seen people running them like this in tube amps in the hundreds of volts, you just need to keep their limits in mind.

its probably a combination of all these things, the 300VA tranny certainly wont be helping lol. I killed a set of the LT when I moved to this place before I realized my mains was significantly higher than 230v at night here and funnily enough it was with a single low DCR 150VA toroid. once I set a higher Vout of +/-48v all was merry again and thats the only time i've had any problems, I subsequently changed to 2 x 50VA units to lower the heat and havent had a problem since.
Old 11th February 2013, 02:29 PM   #516
diyAudio Member

it seems there must be a lack of communication going on, or some breakdown in communication. also I have not heard back from bigpandahk from the email I sent on late Friday night/Saturday morning early ~12.30AM AEST with final postage quotes despite chasing me up last week; so Chan, please get back to me Asap so I can get these all out the door, I have the payments from the USA and EU already, so just waiting for that to clear to my bank and the payment from Asia. Everything is packed and ready to go.

Chan, please confirm you have received my email or not so I can resend, perhaps to another account, I sent it as a reply to your paypal account email. Perhaps you are on holiday somewhere for CNY?

I presumed that the EU guys were all in the loop, please nobody else email me for updates, from either late tomorrow afternoon, or Wednesday morning, it will nolonger be in my hands. Emphrygian will be taking care of it from then on for the EU. Misterogers for USA/CAN and BigPandahk for Asia.

Last edited by qusp; 11th February 2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11th February 2013, 02:41 PM   #517
diyAudio Member

Quote:
it seems there must be a lack of communication going on, or some breakdown in communication. also I have not heard back from bigpandahk from the email I sent on late Friday night/Saturday morning early ~12.30AM AEST with final postage quotes despite chasing me up last week; so Chan, please get back to me Asap so I can get these all out the door, I have the payments from the USA and EU already, so just waiting for that to clear to my bank and the payment from Asia. Everything is packed and ready to go.

Chan, please confirm you have received my email or not so I can resend, perhaps to another account, I sent it as a reply to your paypal account email. Perhaps you are on holiday somewhere for CNY?

I presumed that the EU guys were all in the loop, please nobody else email me for updates, from either late tomorrow afternoon, or Wednesday morning, it will nolonger be in my hands. Emphrygian will be taking care of it from then on for the EU. Misterogers for USA/CAN and BigPandahk for Asia.
Hi

I didn't receive any email from you and I've check the junk mailbox. Please PM the details to me again. I will pay the shipping with full insurance as soon as I receive the amount.

Regards

Chan
Old 11th February 2013, 02:52 PM   #518
diyAudio Member

check kyc1338 (splat) hotmail etc. its definitely sent 9 February 2013 12:04:43 AM AEST. let me know, i'll resend if you dont have it.

or send me an email from a preferred account and i'll send to that.

Last edited by qusp; 11th February 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11th February 2013, 02:59 PM   #519
diyAudio Member

Quote:
check kyc1338 (splat) hotmail etc. its definitely sent 9 February 2013 12:04:43 AM AEST. let me know, i'll resend if you dont have it.

or send me an email from a preferred account and i'll send to that.
Email sent via my gmail account.
Old 11th February 2013, 03:20 PM   #520
diyAudio Member

cool all sorted chaps, got payments for all shipping, so not long now

Hide this!Advertise here!