BUILD THREAD - A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2010, 02:02 PM   #41
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

on top of the above there will be the local shipping to me. some of you have already sorted me for the return shipping of everything to you and a contribution towards the local shipping, but the tapping was not taken into account as the amount was not known, I wish there were more of us getting them though, as it is with only 5 the setup fee and stencil works out to almost half the price, but that is a set fee, so if there were more of us the price would go down a fair bit

I would recommend you do fit the zeners, I have. they are not in the signal until there is a problem. they are to protect the buffalo in case of a fail condition, in a fail condition without these the dac will see all the DC offset, the offset if quite large and would likely kill the dac

Last edited by qusp; 15th December 2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 15th December 2010, 02:08 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

oh and its not Z1 through 8, because there was a mistake on the PCB, thats why the tipis, so pick 4 of the 8 positions and install them back to back 2 to each pad and leave the other 4 positions unpopulated
Old 15th December 2010, 02:19 PM   #43
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

It's good to see some movement on the construction!

merlin el mago:

You certainly could use those transformers if you have the space for them. There won't be any downside except more dissipation on the regs, and a larger magnetic field, which should be fine if you keep them away from the inputs and outputs. You will absolutely need 100V electrolytic caps on the inputs though as the DC voltage will be close to or over 63VDC.

The little SMD parts are indeed the protection diodes for the output of the Buffalo. If you look closely at qusp's pictures, you'll see the little tipis with those zeners. The reason I didn't solder them is that they never would have survived the shipping, and would likely have torn off the pads making it impossible for you to mount them. As qusp suggests, I would mount them if possible, but it's not absolutely necessary. As long as you carefully adjust your circuit prior to tossing on the Buffalo, you should be fine.

qusp:

Looks like a nice collection of goodies you've got there! I'm also jealous of your heatsink venture. I drilled and tapped all my own holes, and it's a serious PITA doing that. Worst part is, I have to do it all over again when I make the proper chassis!

The boards you made up look excellent, and you're well on your way to getting them done.

Keep posting any progress!

Cheers,
Owen
Old 15th December 2010, 02:36 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

qusp:

Everything is looking fantastic !!!! Your time frame is fine with me. More later.

Best

Bob
Old 15th December 2010, 03:49 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
Hi Guys,

merlin el mago:

You certainly could use those transformers if you have the space for them. There won't be any downside except more dissipation on the regs, and a larger magnetic field, which should be fine if you keep them away from the inputs and outputs. You will absolutely need 100V electrolytic caps on the inputs though as the DC voltage will be close to or over 63VDC.

The little SMD parts are indeed the protection diodes for the output of the Buffalo. If you look closely at qusp's pictures, you'll see the little tipis with those zeners. The reason I didn't solder them is that they never would have survived the shipping, and would likely have torn off the pads making it impossible for you to mount them. As qusp suggests, I would mount them if possible, but it's not absolutely necessary. As long as you carefully adjust your circuit prior to tossing on the Buffalo, you should be fine.
QFT

yep, definitely recommended, but not compulsory. as long as you have adjusted the bias pots carefully before stacking the buffalo and are very careful whenever you disconnect and reconnect the dac it will be fine, but really i dont see any reason not to do it. I must admit to googling 'the sound quality of zener diodes' and 'high fidelity protection diodes' or something like that prior to fitting them to see if there was any tweak possible here. haha I know i'm a lost cause...... sick I tell you..sick... but in the end decided not to bother, as my logical mind knows that they are effectively not there until there is an issue; so fitted them as supplied

Quote:
Looks like a nice collection of goodies you've got there!
haha indeed!! I reckon theres about 3.5K sitting on that table haha

Quote:
I'm also jealous of your heatsink venture. I drilled and tapped all my own holes, and it's a serious PITA doing that. Worst part is, I have to do it all over again when I make the proper chassis!
yep, I think its money well spent, I value my time more than it costs and the result will be better than anything I can accomplish here, the stencil allows them about 0.2mm tolerance at worst.

I will also be getting some brackets for bolting the assembly to in the finished chassis, if the right way up this will be attached to standoffs and machine bolts (stainless) so there is some airflow around the heatsinks, or upsidedown only standoffs are needed which are bolted down through the mounting holes on the IV board into matching tapped holes in the heatsink

Quote:
The boards you made up look excellent, and you're well on your way to getting them done.
yep i've pretty much hit the wall until the sinks get here and fets are matched. still need to get some caps for thorstens power supply and mine, decided rather than using the supply i'm using for my board for matching, that I will use the cut off supply from the board as has 4 separate adjustable outputs, may use 2 of them. I havent fitted the 100k R's on the outputs, as I am using some amtrans carbon comp across the XLRs due to mounting the caps offboard. will probably end up with more Zfoils here.

Quote:
Keep posting any progress!
will do mate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocchini View Post
qusp:

Everything is looking fantastic !!!! Your time frame is fine with me. More later.

Best

Bob
thanks for the kind words, yeah its all coming together nicely; glad you are fine with it, kinda sux, but realistically its not going to make any difference to the delivery date.

Last edited by qusp; 15th December 2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 15th December 2010, 06:18 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Owen could you post a pic of your pcb full populated?
Old 15th December 2010, 06:53 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Owen the pulse Tx don't fit in the pcb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00003.jpg (601.9 KB, 942 views)
Old 15th December 2010, 07:07 PM   #48
Horio is offline Horio  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey qusp,

Regarding the heat-sink option with tapped holes from Conrad, is this one large sink with the PCB mounted to the face of it (similar to how opc mounted his board early on for testing)?
Old 15th December 2010, 07:13 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
Hi Guys,

merlin el mago:

Cheers,
Owen
Owen the Tx will be in a separate box, about 100V input caps do you refer to c-38-39-40-41, right wich value for BII?
Old 15th December 2010, 10:04 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

this question has been asked several times mate, we recommend leaving them

Hide this!Advertise here!