BUILD THREAD - A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2010, 03:41 AM   #11
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

thanks for that calc mate, i'm sure it'll come in handy for more than this project.
Old 7th December 2010, 03:57 AM   #12
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

I've got another build related file to post up here for all those who have been asking about capacitor values for the ? caps.

The short answer is: Don't populate them - they will probably do more harm than good.

If you really want to use the four caps to roll off at a desired frequency, then you're welcome to use the attached simulation and LT spice to figure out what values you need. It's not as easy as calculating two RC low pass filters. Once you start simulating, you'll see what I mean.

I will not be offering any help with these simulations, and if you don't know how to run LT spice, then you're out of luck. The values I simulated and then measured were pretty close, but I did need to tweak the values a little bit to get reality to match up with the simulations. If you can use LT Spice and you have a way to measure FR up to 1MHz, then you should be able to tackle this.

Cheers,
Owen
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cap Simulation.zip (668.2 KB, 126 views)
Old 7th December 2010, 04:24 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

nice, well I wont be bothering with that then I think you need to be a bat for it to make any difference and since we dont have any issues with oscillation at wideband frequencies I dont see any reason to try
Old 7th December 2010, 05:44 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Got it and agree...
Old 8th December 2010, 05:36 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

My small contribution to the cause.
You can cut and paste the following to make the digikey order.

5,WM3843-ND
8,493-1960-ND
4,495-3942-ND
5,WM1021-ND
10,WM3112CT-ND
5,HS346-ND
3,LM317TFS-ND
2,LM337TFS-ND
10,492-1073-ND
4,490-2888-ND
4,490-2880-ND
1,490-2879-ND
1,493-1807-ND
1,493-1726-ND
4,FQA32N20C-ND
4,MP930-200F-ND

Davide
Old 8th December 2010, 05:37 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Owen,

Could you specify the characteristics of the transformer or transformers ?

Thanks,

Davide
Old 8th December 2010, 07:38 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

800ma 2 x 25vac 45-50va x 2. also since you are at digikey, I would recoimmend switching to LT317 and LT337 instead of LM317 and LM337. the linear tech regs are much better, think they were about 3.50-4.50 each there. they are identical in every important characteristic, but much lower noise and much better transient

Last edited by qusp; 8th December 2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 8th December 2010, 07:41 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

thats not the exact spec, think owen said 760ma or something. if you look back a few pages, or search the thread for it. basically as long as you get less than 1A and 2 x 25vac secondaries you'll be fine. whether you get 1 x 240v primary, or 2 x 115 is up to you
Old 8th December 2010, 10:13 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

actually probably more like 760ma for the whole board, not each channel, as each leg is 120ma x 4 = 480, then you need a separate lower current TX for the dac and the buffalo II uses about ~250ma @ 5vdc. but i'm going to go back and have a look now just to check so i'm not posting definite bogus info. i'm using a much larger TX as my regs take far more current

Zfoils are here on the last day they had, paid bloody 77USD for shipping to take a week!! normally this service would take 2-3 days and they have been here in australia since last friday, but there was a computer malfunction at UPS and customs couldnt access the clearance files, so everything had to be done manually. today was the very last day they had as was the max time they quote so they would have received a strongly worded email from me if they didnt arrive today, asking for a refund for shipping.

they really look very cool, as do the SMD Zfoil 1206 size resistors I got for my portable sabre IV. texas instruments are a funny bunch, kindof like an uber high tech cottage industry, they really look precision but also hand made and finely crafted, like I can picture am old man cranking these out looking over his half glasses at the instrument panel of the laser trimmer.

pics tomorrow when there is some light may also have the stuff from PCX and if i'm lucky, my digikey order

Last edited by qusp; 8th December 2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 8th December 2010, 01:14 PM   #20
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Good work on the list Davide! I still suggest that people take their time and really consider everything they might need.

The one thing I left off the list was the 0.1" connectors I used between the Buffalo and the I/V board. I bought a 3 pin, two 5 pin, and one 9 pin, then I pulled out every other pin so that they would fit. The problem is, they cost a bloody fortune, and they're really not worth it. I think those little things cost me almost $55 for both the M and F connectors, and when you look at them in your hand you think "oh that looks like maybe 50 cents worth".

The better way to go is to just buy the cheap strips and cut them to length, or just use wire.

For the transformers, you need two of the following (one per channel):

Antek - AN-0540

Either match the specs, or just buy those ones.

- Minimum 35VA, but 50VA is pretty much ideal.
- 2 x 40VAC secondaries.

For the transformer for the DAC I would suggest:

Antek - AN-0006

- 5VA
- 6VAC secondary

Cheers,
Owen

Hide this!Advertise here!