Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2011, 02:21 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Waiting the heat sink weight to cut, a photo with all resistors & mosfets just for fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00024.jpg (623.9 KB, 746 views)
Old 4th January 2011, 02:38 PM   #102
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Merlin,

Looks great! I'm glad to see some solid build progress.

It's not so much a weight thing as it is a surface area thing. Extra mass will give you a longer thermal time constant, but since this is a class A design, a large thermal mass won't get you anything - unless you only plan in running it 20 minutes at a time.

There are several online calculators for figuring out what the delta-t will be based on power put in, surface area of the sink, and air flow rate.

If you can post a side profile with measurements so an accurate surface are can be calculated, then we might be able to give you a better idea of how large the sink will need to be. Giving you an answer based on weight would be incorrect.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 4th January 2011, 02:41 PM   #103
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Salomon,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I forgot about your post.

Excellent work on the board, everything looks really good! I was expecting at least a few people would have this up and running by now, but it has been a busy couple of weeks with the holidays.

I'm looking forward to your impressions, so let us all know when you get it up and working.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 4th January 2011, 02:48 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Hi Owen,

Thanks for help, I'm sorry for my ignorance, the heat sink is 41 cm x 24,6 cm x 0,8 cm

Cheers

Felipe

P.S. I bought the proper heat sink to qusp but meanwhile arrives I want to finish your I/V
Old 4th January 2011, 02:51 PM   #105
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Waiting the heat sink weight to cut, a photo with all resistors & mosfets just for fun
I was planning to solder these component to the PCB only after mounting them firmly on the heat sink. Just to avoid stress/tension on the joints in case of minor placement imprecisions. But maybe I got the best strategy wrong.
Cheers,
Nic
Old 4th January 2011, 03:11 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMac View Post
I was planning to solder these component to the PCB only after mounting them firmly on the heat sink. Just to avoid stress/tension on the joints in case of minor placement imprecisions. But maybe I got the best strategy wrong.
Cheers,
Nic
I soldered with the screws & nuts firmly so I don't see any reason to have stress/tension on the joints: I am waiting the qusp heat sink are properly drilled

Cheers,
Felipe
Old 4th January 2011, 04:58 PM   #107
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
I soldered with the screws & nuts firmly so I don't see any reason to have stress/tension on the joints: I am waiting the qusp heat sink are properly drilled
Cheers,
Felipe
I'm sorry, but I don't understand: onto what did you fix the components prior to soldering?
Old 4th January 2011, 06:53 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMac View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't understand: onto what did you fix the components prior to soldering?
Onto the pcb, see post 101
Old 5th January 2011, 12:41 AM   #109
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yeah I was going to attach the devices to the sink and then solder as well, but with the layout the way it is, its not as critical as normal and if you have used pieces of PCB to make sure the level is the same for all, then there should be no problem.

opc: yeah I expected more people to have finished by now (or at least 1) I mean many are waiting on fets or something from me, but nowhere near all.

the heatsinks are finished, I will have them this week sometime I hope, but still need to get the matching done, so thats where i'm at for the next while.

merlin: the info you have posted so far is still not what is needed, the volume/weight are pretty much meaningless for dissipation, only how long it takes to heat up. the manufacturer should have listed a rating for 0.XX degrees C/W @ a specified temp, often 80c

as opc said, its surface area that is meaningful for dissipation, but dissipation should be listed as a spec

Last edited by qusp; 5th January 2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 5th January 2011, 08:47 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

qsup

I don't have the manufacturer heatsink spec, my heat sink is from an old Musical Fidelity MA 65 mono power amp, so can't use it?

Yes I have used pieces of PCB to have the same level for all resistors & mosfets, see attached photo.

Good news about heatsinks, please let me know when you send me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00023.jpg (429.4 KB, 678 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!