Build Thread - A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

sorry mate, guess you havent been around much lately. didnt mean anything by it. yeah its a bitch to get one, basically involves staying up if you are in a different timezone, with your finger on the buy button constantly refreshing the sales page until there is the option to buy. does it say when the next run is? its not uncommon for them to sell out within a couple of minutes

seasons greetings to you too, days almost over here and i'm a bit hung over :S

Last edited:
the next sale is sold out .... for delivery in Feb ... Im about ready to forget it and get Cirrus Logic Eval Kit .... the same DAC as the new Bryston ...

Sorry about the foggy head fella .... couple of turkey sandwiches should sort you out ;)

haha yeah you arent kidding..ouch :warped:

get an ackodac, its available now and IMO is a much better option anyway. it is based on the ES9012, which is the 2 channel version of the dac in the buffalo II (same exact spec, its basically the same chip, just the channels are combined internally, which to me makes more sense for stereo output anyway). this board was built with it in mind as well, there are mounting positions for it too, opc caved to a very vocal minority :D

ermm I already included a link in the post :D the word ackodac is a link. even if you could get the buffalo I would be recommending it, its a bit pricier as the power supply is much more involved, but if you look at the link you will see it has some pretty serious advantages over the TP unit; including a highly developed MCU with the option of wireless remote control by an ipad or similar. there are a few ways to keep the price down from buying everything there if its a bit rich, you dont need to have a fully discrete regulator for every supply pin and you can use whatever DC supply you like to feed the regs

WRT Cricket, nah, not really very Aussie there, bores the hell out of me. on occasion I have been known to watch a one dayer, but test cricket is waaaay too drawn out for something that can end in a draw.

no problems, indeed it does look and sound great, not as well known as the buffalo II of course, but I get the feeling thats about to change considering the imminent release of the full blown 8 channel ES9018 version with the same amount of control. also a well integrated product line.

anyway back to the build thread, sorry for the OT chaps, I got a bit excited with my new toy. so I now have pretty much everything I need to get matching on the mosfets, heatsinks are here for that (and the IV ones are due finished at the end of this coming week) so once family stuff is out of the way this weekend i'll get on it. have pretty much built up the circuit to allow me to be testing 4 devices at once and a switch to switch my DMM leads between the test points. I also have some semisouth power Jfets on the way that I think I might try out for a laugh as well

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

As for the picture, I'll post one this evening when I get home from work.

Regards,
Owen

Could you post the picture?

sure mate, not too late, just in time though. shipping wont be cheap as it weighs just under 1kg. shoot me an email at qusp (splat) optusnet (spot) com (trot) au and we'll go from there, you may also be able to send a mail through the forum (not PM) I cant remember if I have that enabled. with you the price goes down again too, its starting to get quite good value, IMO it was already worth it, but now its getting very decent

I like to mix it up a bit as I think the bots are onto this trick

no problem on the caps Q, didnt mean to sound terse, no need to appologize, i'm a grumpy grumpy man :mad: :rolleyes: and yeah this Q must have been asked and answered at least 10 times already so I guess I was short.

Do you have the heatsink?

errmm no as I said pretty much the post above you

qusp said:
anyway back to the build thread, sorry for the OT chaps, I got a bit excited with my new toy. so I now have pretty much everything I need to get matching on the mosfets, heatsinks are here for that (and the IV ones are due finished at the end of this coming week) so once family stuff is out of the way this weekend i'll get on it. have pretty much built up the circuit to allow me to be testing 4 devices at once and a switch to switch my DMM leads between the test points. I also have some semisouth power Jfets on the way that I think I might try out for a laugh as well

no, I have my heatsinks for the matching rig, but not the D1. so i'll get going on that this week sometime. hes not doing the D1 sinks till the end of this week, so i'll have them sometime next week. if I had the sinks you would know about it. also there is only one shipment being made right? unless you want to pay for separate shipping for the heatsink and the mosfets

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

I am indeed on vacation right now, so responses will be delayed until early January.

Merlin:

There are several pictures of my completed boards in the other thread, and several pictures of qusp's SMD mounted boards in this thread. All you need to do is look around a little bit.

Happy holidays!

Owen

Hi,

the 5 adjusted power supplys are working very good.
See my first pictures.
I think it is better not to solder the 10 solder pins of the regulator heatsinks.
See the picture of it.
It will be much easier to get it out, if you have a problem with the LM337/317 or wanna update the regulators later.
Please isolate the heatsinks of the regulators with kapton or something else, because all the three pins of the regulators you can measure a voltage and this voltage you have on the heatsink directly above the PCB.

Because I still have three other project currently, that previously have to be ready, I need a little bit more time to finish the D1 Bufallo DAC.
I wanna buy the Bufallo II modul in february to complete our PCB.
This here is really a very interesting project for me. I am shure it will sound wonderfull.

My next step will be matching the fets to get two good pairs from the 10 pieces I have here.

best regards

Salomon

Attachments

• DSC_3519.JPG
    DSC_3519.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 852
  • DSC_3523.JPG
    DSC_3523.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 846
  • DSC_3524.JPG
    DSC_3524.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 805