Build Thread - A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Felipe,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I had read your note, but I forgot to look into it.

The transformer I'm using is a custom unit, so there isn't really an equivalent out there on offer. I looked for one that had the same pinout and just specified that one for other people to use. Looks like I got the wrong footprint size though.

Either way, if you bend those pins in, you shouldn't have any problem getting that to fit. It looks like the hole to hole spacing is correct, so you just need to bend both sides in towards the middle.

I did check the pinout, and it is correct, so just wedge it in there and see how it works.

Cheers,
Owen

guys thought I would post here. those who are getting the conrad sinks through me, there is a possibility they will go ahead tomorrow or tuesday, at least the drilling template is, so those who have not paid up please contact me; I need final numbers and payment sorted before they begin.

all filter values need to change and it would be of no benefit IMO, summing like this would result in a VERY hot output, the sabre already has a pretty hot output as it is, but you would end up with nearly 10v point to point. you could do it, but it would be of dubious benefit IMO

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Simple question: is it possible with this IV to use two Buffalo in mono configuration ? Just putting them one over the other and wiring the outputs to the IV board. I will get an extra 5V, if it's needed. The DAC will and double current on output.

Thanks,

Davide

From the point of view of power supply and connections, I don't believe this I/V board is designed for the configuration you describe (staked mono Buffalos).

But looking just at the I/V circuit, I don't see why it could not work in principle. Assuming the mono Buffalos pump out twice the current, then the I/V circuit will output twice the voltage. There is margin for this in Owen's design so I think it would work fine as is (Owen can confirm). If this voltage swing is too much for your preamp, you could throw away some gain by adding a resistor (a few hundred ohms) between the drains of Q1 and Q2. Adjust to taste.

Last edited:
yeah but the point is, doing it the way he describes and then throwing away the voltage gain with adding another resistor, removes the only benefit he gets as the only dynamic range he gains this way is primarily by having a larger swing, plus add another resistor and you add noise. this way I think it is a waste of time and money personally

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Keep in mind what allows this circuit to work better than the original D1. Having far more current output from the DAC allows for much lower resistor values while still maintaining a decent 2VRMS output. If you wanted to use the Buffalo in mono mode, then it would be best to halve the resistance values again to say 200 ohms and 100 ohms, and drop the rails. This would prevent having to throw away voltage gain, and it allows you to take advantage of the higher current output of the DAC.

That is indeed something I'd be interested to see.

Cheers,
Owen

but how will it be quantified, arent we already at the limits of distortion values that actually make any difference audibly? seem to me this is numbers for numbers sake. i'd also be interested to see the numbers, I just want to make sure he realizes this could very well be a very big expensive fools errand and there are probably better areas to be spending the money.

the only people that I know personally that have gone dual mono with the BII have not been able to tell the difference, even russ and co admit its at the edge of being measurable. of course the lower R value might indeed mean it sounds better, and if i'm honest, I bought a second teflon ackodac to go dual mono eventually, but I will do it with a proper summing stage

if he drops the rails, does he not also drop the Tc of the fets?

Last edited:
Xmas came early for me :xmasman:, look what I found under the tree plus another one the same (and 2 for a friend) partially stuffed Ackodac Rogers teflon substrate AKD12P ES9012 dac. I love it when a good plan comes together, this has been in the works for a while now, if it sounds half as good as it looks (and going by my experience with the regular version it will) then i'm gonna be a very happy man, this combined with the D1 IV with Zfoils and CuTF VCAPs, mini gold regs...oh my
:bigeyes:

Attachments

• PTFE AKD12P Teh Sexy.jpg
    PTFE AKD12P Teh Sexy.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 979
  • PTFE AKD12P clear small.jpg
    PTFE AKD12P clear small.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 972
  • PTFE AKD12P Teh SEX small.jpg
    PTFE AKD12P Teh SEX small.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 947
Last edited:
hmm, you do realize this isnt the buffalo II thread right? yeah thats about the size of it though, if they are available on the site at the moment, which I doubt they are, then you just load one into the cart and buy it, then they'll ship it when ready. AFAIK they arent in stock at the moment, they sell out pretty quickly, generally you have to buy one within 5 minutes of them being on sale. if the buy buttons arent there on the product page, there will be some info on there telling you when the next round of preorders is.

but please do not reply in here, this is the build thread for the D1 IV stage group buy