Build Thread - A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Owen,

About the transformer: do you think I can use the antek you recommended with 100 V of main voltage ?
I live in Japan now, but I will move to Europe in one year or so. If I need to have transformers 100-115-230 I have to make a custom order, and it's expensive.
I also found some 50 V secondary R-core, but maybe it's too high.

Thanks,

D.

I need to check, I received 7 of them, even though i'm pretty sure I adjusted the order down to 6 due to cancellation. I will double check this tomorrow, but if not, then no, no spares. I had no need to get spares. dont know how you missed it, I made plenty of noise about it, not just 1 post. if I do have a spare they dont come cheap with shipping, but its a rather neat solution IMO and the time saved is not unsubstantial. it would cost you a few hundred to get just a one off from them, the only reason it was viable was because there was a group of us.

I just bought myself some blue anodized and red anodized M3 hex socket bolts with some matching flush mount washers. also some titanium M4 bolts for mounting to the case and for mounting my ackodac module above ;) if anyone else is keen on them let me know, they are still processing my order, but you would have to be quick.

yeah I have too, dont really see the point personally; just adds another step and you cannot touch the PCB while its hot, have to reheat the PCB when it cools etc. seems like a PITA for little benefit to me, but sure guys try it out. if you have the right tip and/or technique there is nothing to worry about.

its not quite as simple as that, to order this heatsink with all these holes milled and tapped into it as a one off would cost a couple hundred dollars, probably closer to 300, as there is a >100 fee for the stencil, then 65 dollars setup fee (or something like that, jus5t making a stab there), then the cost of the sink, then a cost per tapped hole, then postage. but if you like I think i'm able to get them using the stencil I designed, still wont be as cheap as in the GB because there will be the setup fee for one person to pay, but way cheaper than as a one off design. the GB was the only way that this would have become a reality because this one off cost was able to be shared by the group, I would never have ordered this for a one off. pity you werent around for the GB, with every person the cost per sink would have come down a fair bit. I will see if its viabkle and report back the cost. it would be unfair for you to be able to use the stencil we paid for without contributing towards its cost also. anyway i'll find out

BTW Davide, real sorry mate, I have an email here for you, after seeing your post I realized it hasnt been sent/finished, so sorry about the blackout, I mostly wrote it the other night. i'll send through in a minute, well after dinner, which has just been put on the table

Last edited:
I need to check, I received 7 of them, even though i'm pretty sure I adjusted the order down to 6 due to cancellation. I will double check this tomorrow, but if not, then no, no spares. I had no need to get spares. dont know how you missed it, I made plenty of noise about it, not just 1 post. if I do have a spare they dont come cheap with shipping, but its a rather neat solution IMO and the time saved is not unsubstantial. it would cost you a few hundred to get just a one off from them, the only reason it was viable was because there was a group of us.

Thanks for checking, I missed it since I was offline for a while and didn't have much of a chance to check the forum. :(