DacMagic problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2010, 05:23 PM   #1
soerboe is offline soerboe  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default DacMagic problem

Hi!

I got a fairly new DacMagic for free, the only problem is that it's a bit moody. It only works 1 in 30 times. When I power it on it takes the normal few seconds before I hear the usual clicks. Almost every time the LEDs doesn't come on, and I get no sound. But 1 in 30 times the LEDs do come on and the DAC functions perfectly. Does anyone know what might be wrong, and how it can be fixed?

I've already opened it and done a thorough visual inspection, but found nothing obvious to repair.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 27th November 2010, 09:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soerboe View Post
Hi!

I got a fairly new DacMagic for free, the only problem is that it's a bit moody. It only works 1 in 30 times. When I power it on it takes the normal few seconds before I hear the usual clicks. Almost every time the LEDs doesn't come on, and I get no sound. But 1 in 30 times the LEDs do come on and the DAC functions perfectly. Does anyone know what might be wrong, and how it can be fixed?

I've already opened it and done a thorough visual inspection, but found nothing obvious to repair.

Thanks,
Chris
We're talking about the latest Azur DacMagic, right? It could be a power supply failure. I had sort of a similar problem - the DAC would reboot as soon as a signal appeared on the digital input; replacing the 12V AC wall-wart fixed it. I assume it had something to with the failing transformer not coping with the load.
Now the thing is, AC power supplies aren't as common as the DC ones, so finding a replacement could be a hassle. What I did was find a non-functioning 12V DC supply, disassemble it and throw out the rectifier. Unfortunately, the transformer outputs 14.5 volts instead of 12, so it's only a temporary solution until the proper replacement supply arrives in the mail.
Old 27th November 2010, 10:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx580m View Post
We're talking about the latest Azur DacMagic, right? It could be a power supply failure. I had sort of a similar problem - the DAC would reboot as soon as a signal appeared on the digital input; replacing the 12V AC wall-wart fixed it. I assume it had something to with the failing transformer not coping with the load.
Now the thing is, AC power supplies aren't as common as the DC ones, so finding a replacement could be a hassle. What I did was find a non-functioning 12V DC supply, disassemble it and throw out the rectifier. Unfortunately, the transformer outputs 14.5 volts instead of 12, so it's only a temporary solution until the proper replacement supply arrives in the mail.
It's the latest Azur DM. I can easily test with another power supply, so we'll see if that helps. Thanks!
Old 28th November 2010, 10:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Tried with another power supply, without any luck. I think and hope its a simple fix, but without a service manual my knowledge of circuit design only takes me so far. If anyone has a service manual and/or a more tips, it would be greatly appreciated. I need to get it up and running before I can do tweaks on the analog output stage.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 28th November 2010, 11:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soerboe View Post
Tried with another power supply, without any luck. I think and hope its a simple fix, but without a service manual my knowledge of circuit design only takes me so far. If anyone has a service manual and/or a more tips, it would be greatly appreciated. I need to get it up and running before I can do tweaks on the analog output stage.

Thanks,
Chris
Check your PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!