diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Line Level (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/)
-   -   Cap choice for analog stage filters? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/176702-cap-choice-analog-stage-filters.html)

barrows 5th November 2010 04:15 PM

Cap choice for analog stage filters?

I was wondering what type/brand of caps people like, and why, for the filter in the analog stage of DACs. Considering values from 500 pf to 15 nF or so. Polypropylene film/foil, vs polystyrene film/foil, vs. silver mica, vs. ?
Wima, Amtrans polypropylene film/foils, vs. REL polystyrene, vs. silver mica, vs. Vishay Sprague orange drop polyester film, vs???

merlin el mago 5th November 2010 04:40 PM

1st choice Teflon, 2nd Silver Mica, 3rd VISHAY-RODERSTEIN MKP-1837.

qusp 6th November 2010 03:39 PM

Teflon first, evox/rifa PFR range film and foil, SMD PPS film (evox/rifa, Wima or panasonic films), Amtrans polypropylene film. then Vishay MKP-1837.

forget wima, in the size you are looking at the evox rifa PFR film and foil are better in every way, like being able to use a little mundorf supreme in a small 5mm lead package. close anyway. not so easy to find though and the range of capacitance is limited, but your 500pf->15nf is covered. (only up to 22nf)

wima are OK, but not worth the attention they get on this forum IMO, I think its the pretty red colour

barrows 6th November 2010 04:59 PM

Thanks...

qusp. A mini Mundorf Supreme sounds great to me. Unfortunately an internet search did not result in much luck for me, unless I want to purchase 1000s of them.
I am looking for 1 nF and 10 nF, any ideas on sources? I only need a handful, perhaps 16 of each or so...

qusp 6th November 2010 05:05 PM

OK i'm about to go buy some more myself, so i'll be back with a link, cant think of it off the top of my head

qusp 6th November 2010 05:10 PM

here ya go they have a good range of other caps there too. for example the legendary rifa PHE169 low Z PSU cap. probably the best power supply cap available. so I just linked to the rifa page, you'll see them there as the small blue leaded caps like wima or vishay size box caps. they have ampohm copper foil and film caps there too for output caps if you are keen. another good value. all others in this physical size are metalized polypropylene, not true film and foil

damn, they dont have the values you need, but maybe ask them. sorry I just new they had them and that they came in those sizes. they will order them in for you perhaps, they do that with their other caps

qusp 6th November 2010 05:15 PM

you'll be able to find something there though, polypropylene caps are pretty much a specialty. they have the sprague orange drops which is one I forgot to mention

qusp 6th November 2010 05:20 PM

well they have the .47nf there which may be close enough for your 500pf, but 15nf is a nogo, but ask them about ordering it for you. is this for a sabre? pretty much datasheet values

barrows 6th November 2010 07:02 PM

Thanks

qusp, I had found these guys-I will go ahead and see if they can get the values I need. I have some polyester orange drops (Vishay-Sparague) here as well-but these are steel leaded, I really would like to avoid steel leads.
For a future Legato board build, and some mods on other stuff...

john curl 6th November 2010 07:18 PM

I would use polystyrene, if possible. Polypropylene, if necessary. REL RT polystyrene is an almost perfect cap for this application.