External DSP Delay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Currently using my computer for DSP functions and to design the crossovers and equalisation. I plan to jump to an external solution with 4 way amps per side (tweeter, mid and 2 woofers) and 4 way dsp mounted in the base of my open baffle speakers. The main reasons for doing so are to remove latency and add convenience.

Question: Is there any latency with an external dsp solution such as the mini dsp or behringer dcx type systems compared with the 150ms i'm currently getting with the computer. I can get this down to a lot less by changing the quality of the linear phase crossovers on the computer but i'd rather set it and forget it know that whatever is plugged into the speakers will work with no issues. You cant have sound latency with television and gaming so its needs to just work.

Thanks.

The latency specs for external DSP systems should be available in their datasheets..... or at least I think I've seen the miniDSP's figure on a forum somewhere also.

You're going to lose your linear phase ability with the currently available cheap DSPs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.