VC23, my new PGA2310 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Newbie with VC23 preamp

Hi all,

A newbie here :).

I have gone through the thread and see that there are 2 power inputs 12-0-12 and 6/9VAC on the VC23 preamp board.

I have a 12VAC power brick - can I use that to connect both points? Or do I need another power source? (Got 4-6V power adapter also)

-Zia

Yes I considered tapping off one leg of the other transformer, but I didn't want to risk any noise or loss of performance, maybe it would be OK, not sure. See attached.

Attachments

• 2011_0903Preamp0009.JPG
    2011_0903Preamp0009.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 2011_0903Preamp0007.JPG
    2011_0903Preamp0007.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 579
  • 2011_0903Preamp0006.JPG
    2011_0903Preamp0006.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:
The preamp was put together yesterday and is working fine! Thanks Eric on and others who shared details of their projects on this thread.

I have noticed one thing - if the amp (Hifimediy T4) is on before the preamp, there's a nasty pop out of the speakers when I turn the amp on. Is that normal?

Glad you got it working. Yes that pop is normal. The usual order for powering components is preamp, source, then turn the amp on last. When shutting it down, turn the amp off first, then the other components - that should fix it.

Did you use a separate AC or DC power source or tap off the AC transformer?

Eric

Hello all!

Ahead of it all, please excuse my stupid question! I just received the vc23 from audiophonics together with a transformer with 2x12v and 1x9v secondaries. The two wires from the 1x9v winding go into the 9 v post, but I end up with 2x2 lines from 12v secondaries for the 12v post on the pcb. Can i just connect any of the two together as "0" and the others as the two 12 v lines (as in: blue - yellow+blue - yellow, where blue/blue and yellow/yellow are the 12 v secondaries?)

Thanks in advance!
Timo

Hi,

Are there differences between the board sold by Audiophonics.fr and the one available on hifimediy.com? The audiophonics website says that dipswitch 4 controls whether the preamp amplifies or not (0 dB). But the hifimediy site says that switch 4 controls a "vendor option" and switching between on/off does not seem to make any difference in max volume setting.

I ask, because I have two VC23 boards at home and both start to be quite noisy (humm) above the 00 (dB) point, and I'm looking for ways to keep the noise down.

My simple PGA2311 board with only 6-0-6 Vac power and not so expensive components is dead quiet even at high gain settings compared to this deluxe board with all its possibilities.

Maarten

Ps. I just noticed that hifimediy does not sell/stock this board anymore...

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion. Do you mean the side of C14 and C15 that is connected to the relays (other side is already grounded through R18 and R10). It does not seem to make much of a difference.

Still the noise above the volume setting 8 (about the 0dB point for PGA2310 I assume) is much more than the PGA2311 board I have.

Is it possible to remove the OP stage, as I do not need the additional 3x amplification? can you share the schematic of the board?

Thanks,

Maarten

Hi, very good projects...hifimediy!
if i want to use the Vc43 in my 7.1 setup between multichannel analog DAC output and analog input of my final power amp (4*stereo) is this board useful?
May i change with remote the volume of all channel simultaneously for setting main volume?

If i want to use this with balanced xlr signal may i use one for 4channel and another for other 4channel?

Thanks!

Hi, very good projects...hifimediy!
if i want to use the Vc43 in my 7.1 setup between multichannel analog DAC output and analog input of my final power amp (4*stereo) is this board useful?
May i change with remote the volume of all channel simultaneously for setting main volume?

If i want to use this with balanced xlr signal may i use one for 4channel and another for other 4channel?

Thanks!

Hi, yes it's ok for 7.1, and you can control all channel's volume by setting main value. And it's 4ch/board when xlr using.

the options if i've understand all...are:
-volume Ch 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 separately
-volume Ch 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8 togheter
-volume Ch 1&5 or 2&6 or 3&7 or 4&8 by twin

so ...is possible after i've setting different starting values for single channel for example:
1&5 -20db
2&6 -15db
3&7 -18db
4&8 -15db
to upper main volume of 5 db for all so after i've at the end:
1&5 -25db
2&6 -20db
3&7 -23db
4&8 -20db ?

or i can only by main volume setting for example -25db for all channels?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.