VC23, my new PGA2310 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think most of the the points are correct and thanks for collecting them:)
For power inputs, we need 2*12V~18V for analog circuit and 1*6~12V to supply digital part.
And for control ports, I use an ULN2803(+5V now and may add option to use 12V later) to manage them, so I think you can use them to drive relays. By the way, these ports is synchronously to channel relays.
The two OPA on board are used for input buffer, they are necessary because the input impedance of PGA2310 is 10kohm...

Hi,

I have just read through this thread with interest.

I intend to build a three way plus dual sub speaker system in the near future using minidsp units as cross-overs. Will this unit allow me to adjust the volume for all 8 channels (fully active three way speakers plus subs)?

I can see it being extremely useful to anyone working with these minidsp units as they output a low voltage (0.9v) and therefore often require pre-amps.

What kind of sound quality do you hope to acheive? Will this set up make lots of noise, or distortion to the signal path?

Many thanks.

Jai Stanely

Hi,

I have just read through this thread with interest.

I intend to build a three way plus dual sub speaker system in the near future using minidsp units as cross-overs. Will this unit allow me to adjust the volume for all 8 channels (fully active three way speakers plus subs)?

I can see it being extremely useful to anyone working with these minidsp units as they output a low voltage (0.9v) and therefore often require pre-amps.

What kind of sound quality do you hope to acheive? Will this set up make lots of noise, or distortion to the signal path?

Many thanks.

Jai Stanely

Hi, this board can be used as stereo pre-amp so you need more unites to work together for multichannel usage. :) I also plan to make a multichannel one later but I believe that will be more expensive than this one, so we start with the simple;).
It is very high end so you don't worry about the noise or distortion(we use PGA2310 which is even better than CS3310).

Hi guys. We still need more advices that we will consider in the next design/production.
It's 2 channels per board and we can add extended board to run multi-channels.
Hello Hifimediy,
some food for thoughs:
- control signal to power on/off source when selected
- control signal that remains ON, whatever source is selected (to power an amp)
Controls should be strong enough to control relays.

- separate board for Pot alone, to give more flexibility for front panel layout

- IMHO, 3 inputs is sufficient and could result in smaller board.

- a VFD display ? 7 digit display is ok, but old fashion and very limited. LCD display is common but unreadable from 2m distance! VFD will be more expensive, but so much nicer.

Hello Hifimediy,
some food for thoughs:
- control signal to power on/off source when selected
- control signal that remains ON, whatever source is selected (to power an amp)
Controls should be strong enough to control relays.

- separate board for Pot alone, to give more flexibility for front panel layout

- IMHO, 3 inputs is sufficient and could result in smaller board.

- a VFD display ? 7 digit display is ok, but old fashion and very limited. LCD display is common but unreadable from 2m distance! VFD will be more expensive, but so much nicer.

Good idea.;) thanks Al.
And I have done some update to new version. We have control port for relays which can be used to control the source. And we also add a signal for power amplifier (with an optional 1sec delay) . More details:

• - Volume control using pga2310 chip (-87dB to +40dB).
  • - 4-channels input selection for different audio source.
  • - 3*7seg display and rotary encoder on a separate board.
  • - Rotary encoder used for volume control, input selector (short press), ON/Standby (long press).
  • - Infrared remote control.
  • - Remenber customer configuration((see function of sw1).
  • - Learnable remote function(see function of sw3).
  • - Extendable for multi-channel by adding one or more daughter boards.
  • - Display brigtness control (4 levels by remote key F3).
  • - Control port for external boards use, e.g. DAC, amplifier etc..
  • - 4X on-board switches for hardware configurations:
    sw1: on-auto save configuration when power off;
    off-default configuration when cold start
    sw2: on-display always on;
    off-display blank after about 5sec no action
    sw3: on-remote learning mode (operating sequence 000-ON/OFF, 111-MUTE, 222-Volume down, 333-Volume UP, 444-Channel down, 555-Channel up, repeat for another cycle.)
    off-normal mode
    sw4: on-Customer mode;
    off-Standard mode.
note: another way to enter Infrared remote learning mode, press the rotary encoder and power on, the display brightness adjustment can also be accessed then by pressing the rotary encoder.
  • - PCB size: 128*100mm

Last edited:
Hello Hifimediy,

If you ever work on a v2 of this board, you could improve speed of volume control; 1dB per step leads to a lot of rotation to significantly increase or decrease volume.

I would suggest to incr/decr by steps of 3dB if the knob is rotated fast and steps of 1dB if rotaded slowly. "Fast" and "slow" needs to be tuned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.