Soundcard clipping when volume control set to full - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2010, 09:58 PM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudapest View Post
So they take the differential output from the dac, convert it to single ended with one half of one of those dual channel opamps, and then convert it back to differential with another opamp? Isn't that a sort of stupid way to do it?
Stupid? I don't necessarily want to comment on that, but here's the diagram from the datasheet:

op_buffer.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudapest View Post
I see, so since I'm not concerned with balanced output perhaps I can bypass the final balanced line driver portion and jump directly to the output pin of that first opamp. Does that make sense?

Pin 1 on it, the top left most pin in the picture, is the output for the first opamp. I am guessing that this would be the point to attach to right?
I don't see anything wrong with your reasoning, but messing around in there making connections, there's always the chance that you'll do some damage. There's the gain consideration too, just so you don't end up with insufficient drive voltage.

Good luck.

w
Old 11th October 2010, 10:21 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Yeah I'm not sure it would be worth it either, though at present I'll likely have to make an attenuator as the output is pretty high.

And sorry bringing "stupid" into the discussion, it is a working and successful product and I don't want to knock them for it . To the relative layperson it seems a strange implementation but there are many considerations, like cost and difference in performance, that they were aware of and I'm clearly not so it was a little judgmental on my part.

The next step will be to try to latch on to the output leg and hope that the output level will be about what I'm looking for. If that fails, I'll have to start a new inquiry into building a quick pad.

Thanks again to all who contributed in the thread, you have been extremely helpful and understanding

Hide this!Advertise here!