Soundcard clipping when volume control set to full - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2010, 03:31 AM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Is the input clipping, or the output? From your first post it seems that the input is clipping.
If it's the output, could it be your player or driver. Many players have a "behind the scenes" boost for volume leveling. Maybe it's turned on?
Old 11th October 2010, 03:55 AM   #12
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

The output stage after the DAC may not be unity gain, causing clipping. Does this unit have a -10/+4 dB gain setting?

How did you take the measurement at the potentiometer? Is the pot before or after the final gain stage?
Old 11th October 2010, 05:08 AM   #13
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

The digital volume control acts on the digital samples before they go through the DAC and become analog so there IS a loss of resolution as you decrease volume. My *guess* is that the input is clipped at full volume due to bad software settings.
Old 11th October 2010, 06:46 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

panomaniac, it is something to do with the output. It only clips at the input when I use full balanced output to balanced input.

sangram, there is no setting for that. The pot is not in the signal path, I believe it gets converted to a digital value somewhere. I think we can forget about the pot though, as I can bypass the hardware knob and use the software knob. At full software volume (which is full hardware volume) it behaves the same.

Check this out:

TS unbalanced out (using the output jack) to TS unbalanced in, output clipping (-20 room at input).

TS unbalanced out (manually connecting to one of the differential out legs, meaning nothing is in the jack) and jumping the ground to the same ground pin as normal NO CLIPPING (-20 room at input).

From that information it seems that something is going on at the output stage that doesn't like being run in unbalanced mode.
Old 11th October 2010, 06:58 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

last update on a late night, I just ran the balanced out through a level matching device and there is no sign of clipping going on.

It appears this issue only happens when trying to run it unbalanced. This must provide more clues. Thoughts?
Old 11th October 2010, 06:58 AM   #16
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Hi

Is it clipping when sending a 0dBFS file to the mixer from a software input? In both TS and TRS mode? Or only in loopback mode?

If you are getting clipping at the input it is possible that the input gain is turned up. Most cards of this kind (though admittedly not all) have a software switch for 'consumer' and 'pro' level. Some have it only for outputs with the inputs assumed to be 'consumer' level, so a pro level TS output will clip it pretty easily, even when not turned to max.

My Delta 66 used to have a level toggle in older driver revisions, but that has been replaced by a mixer fader for each input and output. When left at maximum level for all, it will clip in loopback mode even at -10dB output because input sensitivity is way too high. Thankfully, my e-Mu still has a control for the output (don't remember input, never recorded with this card).
Old 11th October 2010, 07:41 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

sangram, I use a -1 dBFS tone generator from software. No clipping going on in the software side.

It clips in TS mode, no clipping in TRS. The input clip happens in loopback because the output is so strong. It says 0dBFS is 16dBu which I gather is pretty damn high output for most non-pro devices.
Old 11th October 2010, 08:34 AM   #18
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudapest View Post
It says 0dBFS is 16dBu which I gather is pretty damn high output for most non-pro devices.

Your input sensitivity is set for consumer level not pro level.
Old 11th October 2010, 05:58 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFreak View Post
Your input sensitivity is set for consumer level not pro level.
That may be true but the input stuff doesn't matter. The output clips when using an unbalanced connector, its not a function of the input clipping, so what matters is figuring out why it does it.
Old 11th October 2010, 06:06 PM   #20
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Have you actually looked at the output waveform on a 'scope in Balanced (TRS) and Unbalanced (TS) output modes? What is it that you are driving from the output of the soundcard?

Hide this!Advertise here!