Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

DIY 7.1 over Spdif?
DIY 7.1 over Spdif?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2010, 07:11 PM   #21
SoNic_real_one is offline SoNic_real_one  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakibaki View Post
A USB recording interface with 8 channels will do what you want and appear in the Windows device list without any problems.
I think you are wrong. Show me a picture of an " USB recording interface with 8 channels" that you have in your Windows.
Old 30th September 2010, 09:01 PM   #22
wakibaki is offline wakibaki  United Kingdom
Banned

I don't have a USB recording interface with 8 channels, but I do have a 2496 M-Audio soundcard with 2 analog channels + SPDIF, a Behringer UCA202 USB codec with 2 analog channels and a Samson C01U USB condenser mic. Here you can see them all in the ASIO4ALL driver in Cubase VST/32. That's 7 analog 'ins' + the SPDIF.

ASIO1.jpg

ASIO2.jpg

The Behringer outputs are not available because some other program has grabbed them, and anyway you can see the M-Audio SPDIF outputs are available. VST/32 does not support surround sound, but Cubase SX does, as does Nuendo. Nuendo supports 7.1, SX only 5.1. You can confirm this by googling 'Nuendo 7.1'.

w

Last edited by wakibaki; 30th September 2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 1st October 2010, 01:46 AM   #23
Banned

OK, I got the onboard audio working, it has 5.1, i.e. 6 channels.

ASIO3.jpg

So now you can see the C-Media AC97 with 6 channels out + the M-Audio Delta Audiophile with 2 channels out, for a total of 8 working channels out, the Behringer is still captured by the OS.

w
Old 1st October 2010, 02:37 AM   #24
SoNic_real_one is offline SoNic_real_one  United States
diyAudio Member

As you see all those devices REQUIRE drivers. USB 2.0 drives be cause, USB connection with native Windows drives is limited at 48kHz, 16bit, 2 channels. You said "with no problems". The problem is that you will need a driver for USB 2.0, not that Windows can handle 8 audio channels.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 1st October 2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 1st October 2010, 12:11 PM   #25
Banned

Take a look at this:

M-AUDIO - Fast Track Ultra - High-speed 8 x 8 USB 2.0 Interface with MX Core DSP Technology

'high-speed USB 2.0 interface > simultaneous 8 x 8 24-bit/96kHz audio'

'The on-board MX Core™ DSP mixer processes eight hardware inputs and eight software returns to the eight hardware outputs' (my italics and bold)

'Compatible with most major audio software*'

'*Compatible with all ASIO- and Core Audio-based applications.'

This is why I asked the OP what the source of the 7.1 material was, and what software would be used for playback.

Plug and play. That's why I say 'with no problems'. I generally do some research before I post. I suggest you try the same. The google search argument was '8-channel usb recording interface'.

w
Old 1st October 2010, 12:47 PM   #26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
...not that Windows can handle 8 audio channels.
Windows Media Player 9 and above support 7.1 playback. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ng71audio.aspx

w

Last edited by wakibaki; 1st October 2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 1st October 2010, 01:02 PM   #27
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

there are any number of pro audio USB interfaces no? certainly on mac hirez USB with no driver is possible for some time now
Old 3rd October 2010, 04:29 AM   #28
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

DIY 7.1 over Spdif?
Note that the eBay "HDMI LPCM 7.1 5.1 Multi-Channel Audio Decoder Amplifier" box only passes through "Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD Master Audio". The analog outputs only handle PCM (2 or more channels). ("multi-channel audio decoder built in for LPCM audio.") That may be perfectly adequate if the computer can decode those higher-quality streams into PCM.
Old 3rd October 2010, 07:18 AM   #29
Xm0dgeek is offline Xm0dgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakibaki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
...not that Windows can handle 8 audio channels.
Windows Media Player 9 and above support 7.1 playback. Creating 7.1 Audio

w
I'm pretty sure SoNic_real_one means Windows CAN support 7.1 and that's NOT the problem.

The problem is that Windows can not support 7.1 over USB nativity unless there are 2rd party drivers to allow Windows to support it.

Witch the manufacturer of the equipment should provide.
but whether they work correctly with your system is another story

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangus View Post
Note that the eBay "HDMI LPCM 7.1 5.1 Multi-Channel Audio Decoder Amplifier" box only passes through "Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD Master Audio". The analog outputs only handle PCM (2 or more channels). ("multi-channel audio decoder built in for LPCM audio.") That may be perfectly adequate if the computer can decode those higher-quality streams into PCM.
Yep and that's why I sugested it, "I don't really car about the Dolby or DTS stuff (tho it would be nice) I'm just wanting to hook up my PC to it."

And I think the deal with HDCP is stupid when it comes to audio at least, apart from geting around it in software you could always record the line-outs of a A/V receiver that dose support it or to avoid the DAC to ADC step you could take apart said A/V receiver and find and capture the digital lines running to the DACs.

But yeah just getting 8 channels of audio across the room to a DIY amp (with one cable) is still basically all I'm trying to do.

I still have to look into it more but I'll likeing the idea of running it over an Ethernet cable, 4 lines of (insert name of protocol here)
Old 13th June 2011, 07:48 PM   #30
Zigz is offline Zigz
diyAudio Member

Just a suggestion...
seek motherboards with ADAT lightpipe capability. search for IDT (Sigmatel) STAC9274 (and other STAC9200 series).
Perhaps use something like the AL1402G to decode
http://www.wavefrontsemi.com/UserFil...ta%20Sheet.pdf

These motherboards can be hard to come by. You can also get cheap lightpipe cards: E-MU Systems - Shop E-MU - Upgrades & Accessories

hope that helps.
if im off base here i blame the alcohol

DIY 7.1 over Spdif?Hide this!Advertise here!