DIY 7.1 over Spdif?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't have a USB recording interface with 8 channels, but I do have a 2496 M-Audio soundcard with 2 analog channels + SPDIF, a Behringer UCA202 USB codec with 2 analog channels and a Samson C01U USB condenser mic. Here you can see them all in the ASIO4ALL driver in Cubase VST/32. That's 7 analog 'ins' + the SPDIF.

ASIO1.jpg

ASIO2.jpg

The Behringer outputs are not available because some other program has grabbed them, and anyway you can see the M-Audio SPDIF outputs are available. VST/32 does not support surround sound, but Cubase SX does, as does Nuendo. Nuendo supports 7.1, SX only 5.1. You can confirm this by googling 'Nuendo 7.1'.

w

Last edited:
As you see all those devices REQUIRE drivers. USB 2.0 drives be cause, USB connection with native Windows drives is limited at 48kHz, 16bit, 2 channels. You said "with no problems". The problem is that you will need a driver for USB 2.0, not that Windows can handle 8 audio channels.

Last edited:
Take a look at this:

M-AUDIO - Fast Track Ultra - High-speed 8 x 8 USB 2.0 Interface with MX Core DSP Technology

'high-speed USB 2.0 interface > simultaneous 8 x 8 24-bit/96kHz audio'

'The on-board MX Core™ DSP mixer processes eight hardware inputs and eight software returns to the eight hardware outputs' (my italics and bold)

'Compatible with most major audio software*'

'*Compatible with all ASIO- and Core Audio-based applications.'

This is why I asked the OP what the source of the 7.1 material was, and what software would be used for playback.

Plug and play. That's why I say 'with no problems'. I generally do some research before I post. I suggest you try the same. The google search argument was '8-channel usb recording interface'.

w

Note that the eBay "HDMI LPCM 7.1 5.1 Multi-Channel Audio Decoder Amplifier" box only passes through "Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD Master Audio". The analog outputs only handle PCM (2 or more channels). ("multi-channel audio decoder built in for LPCM audio.") That may be perfectly adequate if the computer can decode those higher-quality streams into PCM.

...not that Windows can handle 8 audio channels.

Windows Media Player 9 and above support 7.1 playback. Creating 7.1 Audio

w

I'm pretty sure SoNic_real_one means Windows CAN support 7.1 and that's NOT the problem.

The problem is that Windows can not support 7.1 over USB nativity unless there are 2rd party drivers to allow Windows to support it.

Witch the manufacturer of the equipment should provide.
but whether they work correctly with your system is another story :D

Note that the eBay "HDMI LPCM 7.1 5.1 Multi-Channel Audio Decoder Amplifier" box only passes through "Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD Master Audio". The analog outputs only handle PCM (2 or more channels). ("multi-channel audio decoder built in for LPCM audio.") That may be perfectly adequate if the computer can decode those higher-quality streams into PCM.

Yep and that's why I sugested it, "I don't really car about the Dolby or DTS stuff (tho it would be nice) I'm just wanting to hook up my PC to it."

And I think the deal with HDCP is stupid when it comes to audio at least, apart from geting around it in software you could always record the line-outs of a A/V receiver that dose support it or to avoid the DAC to ADC step you could take apart said A/V receiver and find and capture the digital lines running to the DACs. :p

But yeah just getting 8 channels of audio across the room to a DIY amp (with one cable) is still basically all I'm trying to do.

I still have to look into it more but I'll likeing the idea of running it over an Ethernet cable, 4 lines of (insert name of protocol here)

I'm pretty sure SoNic_real_one means Windows CAN support 7.1 and that's NOT the problem.

The problem is that Windows can not support 7.1 over USB nativity unless there are 2rd party drivers to allow Windows to support it.

Witch the manufacturer of the equipment should provide.
but whether they work correctly with your system is another story :D

Thanks, I was wondering if I did type something wrong, but looks like you managed to understand me perfectly.
I guess that some pople just... don't have the patience to read the whole phrase, even when they quote it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.