Upgrading the output components in a prosumer dac - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2010, 10:09 PM   #11
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Would I be able to directly connect the transformers to the dac outputs
Yes, you can attach the transformer primaries directly to the transformer, as long as the voltage on both is roughly the same. In your application, I would not ground the center tap.

HTH

Doug
Old 2nd October 2010, 06:52 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I may have to draw a diagram. The codec chip has 8 output channels, so I guess I would be willing to experiment on a set of them. If I manage to get the drawing right, would anybody here be willing to help take a look at it and suggest what sort of modifications might be advisable?
Old 3rd October 2010, 04:55 AM   #13
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

How about adding servos to null out the DC offset? Take a look at Walt Jung's audio opamp articles.
Old 3rd October 2010, 05:51 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I'll try to get the diagram together, there is a lot of stuff going on and they may already be doing that on the board. I'll try to get a diagram up in the next few days.
Old 9th October 2010, 04:59 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Alright, the pcb is too complicated to figure out. Its many layered and there are no schematics anywhere. Given the options, it seems like using a pair of transformers coupled to the dac outputs are the way to go.

Before I commit to this experiment, I want to be sure that there won't be a problem with the output levels going on. Attached is a diagram from the datasheet of the dac that shows the output levels. There is a 2.7v offset. With that issue, can I still use the transformers directly connected to it because the offset is identical and thus the transformer would effectively block the DC? Or does this mean that I need to correct the 2.7v offset first before I can use a transformer?

The other part I need help with is about the transformer itself. The dac datasheet says:

dac output impedance: 150 ohms
AC load resistance: 3K ohms
load capacitance max: 30 pF

So from that I know that I need a relatively high impedance input for the transformer, which is why the 10k input was suggested. Now the part I'm concerned about is that in the suggested 10k:10k. The second 10k listed is the load impedance correct? Does that mean that the output impedance is 10k and thus I would need a 100k input impedance on the receiving device, or does it simply mean that it expects a 10k or greater input impedance for that other device?

I think that about covers it. The edcors seem like they may be a decent budget way to try this out, anything to watch out for with them? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cs42428_outputdiagram.jpg (28.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 9th October 2010, 05:50 AM   #16
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Before I commit to this experiment, I want to be sure that there won't be a problem with the output levels going on. Attached is a diagram from the datasheet of the dac that shows the output levels. There is a 2.7v offset. With that issue, can I still use the transformers directly connected to it because the offset is identical and thus the transformer would effectively block the DC? Or does this mean that I need to correct the 2.7v offset first before I can use a transformer?
As long as you do not DC ground the center tap on the input side, the 2.7 volts will not cause a current and everything will work.
Quote:
So from that I know that I need a relatively high impedance input for the transformer, which is why the 10k input was suggested. Now the part I'm concerned about is that in the suggested 10k:10k. The second 10k listed is the load impedance correct? Does that mean that the output impedance is 10k and thus I would need a 100k input impedance on the receiving device, or does it simply mean that it expects a 10k or greater input impedance for that other device?
Transformers do not have an impedance. On a 1:1 transformer, it reflects the output Z of the Dac, and reflects the load resistor.
I like to think of it this way, the output Z of the drivers should be less than 10K and the next stage should be 10K or higher.
Old 10th October 2010, 06:57 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks for setting that straight

I have just noticed an issue with the dac outputs, so I'm going to make another thread and before I try the transformers I'd like to correct the issue. Please check that thread out!

Hide this!Advertise here!