Connecting tv optical digital output to an analogue line input? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2010, 08:12 PM   #1
teleman is offline teleman  Norway
diyAudio Member

Smile Connecting tv optical digital output to an analogue line input?

CONNECTING AN OPTICAL DIGITAL OUTPUT TO AN ANALOGUE LINE INPUT?

I am considering buying a digital (LCD) TV which has only an optical digital output & no other analogue audio outs what so ever apart from a solitary headphone o/p. I'd like to connect it to my old analogue hi-fi amp line input,which obviously doesn't have any digital connections at all.

The TV also has the following connections in addition:
2x HDMI
1x SCART
1x Headpone
1x USB

Could anyone please give me any idea as to how I can get analogue audio signals to my amp line i/p without using a DAC or is it impossible?

Thanks.

Last edited by teleman; 16th September 2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 16th September 2010, 08:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

" want to connect optical digital out to my analog receiver without using a digital to analog converter"

UH no. But if you look on ebay you can get converters for 50 bucks new.

headphone should be out though...
How/why would you have a headphone in....

You can get a headphone to rca cable for a few bucks. Its just a wire, no electronics involved.
Old 16th September 2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Depending on the actual TV configuration there may be an analogue audio output available on the scart socket. Adaptors are usually inexpensive but you will need to find an adaptor that has audio out. Most scart adaptors are configured as audio in, to allow connection of games consoles to your TV for instance. The adaptor I'm thinking of has an in/out switch like this one that I shamelessly copied the photo off ebay!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scart.jpg (19.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 16th September 2010, 08:33 PM   #4
r0b is offline r0b  Germany
diyAudio Member

Or maybe the scart outputs the sound.

In fancy Hdmi its called Audio Return Channel. In scart they just call it "R out L out"
Old 16th September 2010, 09:13 PM   #5
teleman is offline teleman  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thanks a million guys!,
I was actually thinking of connecting through the headphone outs...but was just curious if a better method could be achieved as cheaply as this!

r0B & Xoc1 excellent suggestion!this means I'd only have to find a SCART plug which receives audio at the same pins as the SCART socket onthe TV!? Or are these different configurations on some SCARTS? Have no shame...we are all guilty hee..hee
Nightanole you're right,I did mention as 1 headphone output earlier,but included it in the connection list again!

Thanks guys,back to ebay then!
Cheers.

Last edited by teleman; 16th September 2010 at 09:17 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!