New PCM1794A Kit – Balanced Mode Update – Good to Fantastic Sound!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow. What did you replace it with? Any chance of some photos? I just dropped in a L4941 sometime ago and that made a difference too. Sounds like you are having a much higher gain.

Best wishes

TC

well, if you want big improvement in SQ not just different taste of sound I strongly advise to replace 7805 regulator. I just plugged DIY discrete one and its improvement in all areas.

Hi Zabra

Perhaps it is my browser but you picture doesn't load.

Best wishes

TC

Generally its complete discrete power supply made by friend of mine, without any resistors etc. Im not that good in details. For now I just plugged it straight into place of 7805 regulator. It has 2 stages of stabilizing. Its big catharsis for sound:)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Dont think anyone tried dicrete regulator here yet but improvement is crucial to sound - not just matter of taste and preference. I also tried pluggin that power supply into +20V but it sounds worse after short comparision (will try tomorrow also). If you are hardcore then discrete regulator in that place is a must and I dont focus on very subtle changes:) Difference is huge.
In few days Ill be also testing DIY asynchronic USB-I2S module on TAS1020B as Im using PC for music (EMU1212) so more news toshare in future. Also will try Caddocks in I/V conversion and some Amtrans and others for filtering. So still a lot for testing but that swap is already biggest improvement in SQ easily to hear even for a beginner:)

Hi All,
i had build a pre amp dac with the boards from spencer, it sounds fantastic. I would like to express my sincerest thanks to spencer and community to provide and support such great dac.

Attached some photos of my DIY stuff and dac boards.

btw.. i upgrade the dac with HFA rectifier diods and bellson LDO..

Regards
Marcus

Attachments

• P1090421_50.jpg
    P1090421_50.jpg
    844 KB · Views: 217
  • P1090420_50.jpg
    P1090420_50.jpg
    832.8 KB · Views: 213
  • P1090423_50.jpg
    P1090423_50.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 206
  • P1090419_50.jpg
    P1090419_50.jpg
    856.3 KB · Views: 210
Hi All,
i had build a pre amp dac with the boards from spencer, it sounds fantastic. I would like to express my sincerest thanks to spencer and community to provide and support such great dac.

Attached some photos of my DIY stuff and dac boards.

btw.. i upgrade the dac with HFA rectifier diods and bellson LDO..

Regards
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

What line stage are you using for the DAC? It is tubes but cannot read on the PCB...

Thanks
Do

Dont think anyone tried dicrete regulator here yet but improvement is crucial to sound - not just matter of taste and preference. I also tried pluggin that power supply into +20V but it sounds worse after short comparision (will try tomorrow also). If you are hardcore then discrete regulator in that place is a must and I dont focus on very subtle changes:) Difference is huge.
In few days Ill be also testing DIY asynchronic USB-I2S module on TAS1020B as Im using PC for music (EMU1212) so more news toshare in future. Also will try Caddocks in I/V conversion and some Amtrans and others for filtering. So still a lot for testing but that swap is already biggest improvement in SQ easily to hear even for a beginner:)

using an async usb convertor for audio production may not be the best idea unless you can set it somehow as the master clock for everything; as it adds a small (actually by production standards maybe not that small) and probably unknown latency, if you have to sync with other hardware or software mixers, ADC inputs and instruments; it doesnt work that well

Hi,
the stage are from glass ware audio design. It is a broskie cathode follower board upgraded with Mundorf Caps to convert to unbalanced single end output.

btw.. what is next
I had recently do some test with reclocker (Mutec MC-6, Apoogee Big Ben) and the improvement was quite clearly. I guess the SPDIF Optical out of my pc as clock is worse. I see on spencer page he already do some test with the XMOS Demo Board and it sounds good to me, therefore i order the board and connected via optical out and it sounds better compared to optical pc out. But my goal is to pass the SPDIF by USB > I2S > DAC. The XMOS Demo board provides I2S also, but i never like the idea to connect the PC ground to audio stuff.
For this reason i looking for other solution and found the EDEL USB Audio Interface with galvanic isolation. Including low jitter master clock after isolation stage and possibility to connect external PSU also.

Regards
Marcus

Last edited:
BTW, regarding changing 7805 at U11 you can make simple and even better test. Just take 4 1.2V batteries and make parallel connection. It should give about 5.0-5.2V ( check before plugging) in real and you have clean power supply for PCM. My friends tried it and are shocked with SQ improvement. Im gonna test it also.

BTW, regarding changing 7805 at U11 you can make simple and even better test. Just take 4 1.2V batteries and make parallel connection. It should give about 5.0-5.2V ( check before plugging) in real and you have clean power supply for PCM. My friends tried it and are shocked with SQ improvement. Im gonna test it also.

That's nice but how long can you run on 4x 1.2V batteries?

Do

what I know you cant make higher voltage than 6.5V for PCM. 5.5 V its ok and Im just testing it.
Its no matter how long you can listen to it - its just test for hardcore modders:D You have cleanest power supply for PCM. First of all you can observe what it gives to SQ and secondary you can test some discrete power supplies which can be closest to this one:) If you think its woth it ofc. In my opinion, giving the best possible condition to work for PCM is A MUST, which also you can easily hear. Just check it without spending a lot of money:)

http://www.voila.pl/347/n6zfq/index.php?get=1&f=1

what I know you cant make higher voltage than 6.5V for PCM. 5.5 V its ok and Im just testing it.
Its no matter how long you can listen to it - its just test for hardcore modders:D You have cleanest power supply for PCM. First of all you can observe what it gives to SQ and secondary you can test some discrete power supplies which can be closest to this one:) If you think its woth it ofc. In my opinion, giving the best possible condition to work for PCM is A MUST, which also you can easily hear. Just check it without spending a lot of money:)

http://www.voila.pl/347/n6zfq/index.php?get=1&f=1

Do you pretend you can hear (and recognize) it in blind ABX listening test ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.