New PCM1794A Kit – Balanced Mode Update – Good to Fantastic Sound!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FYI
Spencer had design a new board FDA1B and published manual and pictures on the homepage.

First review give the impression to me spencer did again a great job and consequently came up with further developing of FDA1A, especialy the digital part it self, which IMO FDA1A give most potential of advacment, and optional add on boards sound great to me.

Regards
Marcus

It seems Spencer is focusing on the balanced version only. This is probably right as the balanced version sounds much better but of course, it carries a higher price tag. Anyway, I have taken delivery of the new FDA-1B kit.

I have completed the soldering, which took a day and a half of flux-filled fun, and initial listen tests suggest this board blows the FDA-1 away. I will try the AD1896 to see how it changes the sound later.

I need to finish up and will then listen to the set after a short burn-in.

Initial impressions seem to suggest that Spencer has another winner....

Best wishes

TC

It seems Spencer is focusing on the balanced version only. This is probably right as the balanced version sounds much better but of course, it carries a higher price tag. Anyway, I have taken delivery of the new FDA-1B kit.

I have completed the soldering, which took a day and a half of flux-filled fun, and initial listen tests suggest this board blows the FDA-1 away. I will try the AD1896 to see how it changes the sound later.

I need to finish up and will then listen to the set after a short burn-in.

Initial impressions seem to suggest that Spencer has another winner....

Best wishes

TC

Hi, great news, did you comapre to balanced or single A Kit ?

Please keep us well informed about the AD1896 and other findings :)

Thanks,
regards
Marcus

Hi, I compared using the Balanced version. What version do you have?

Best wishes

TC

Hi, i have the balanced A Kit Version, but with additional board using as I2S source for the dac, clear imrpovment compared to on board CS8416.. refere post #138 ... this is why i guess the B Kit will be a winner by using WM Chip as default I2S source.. and additional possibilities to process I2S signals..

Regards
Marcus

The I2S source will open the DAC to all sorts of possibilities. Spencer has experimented with XMOS USB input. For me, this would be ideal as I can do away with my transport and stream from my computer or better the NAS!!

As I said, the new DAC does sound much better, more open and airy.

Spencer said he went to many versions to arrive at this one. I think part of the improvement is due to his choice of the WM8804. I think he has done a lot to improve the overall design and has also included SMT pads on most IV resistors. In addition to TH, we can now experiment with SMT ones too.

I will be boxing the DAC and will then enjoy it!!!

What mods did you make to Spencer DAC?

Best wishes

TC

In addition to TH, we can now experiment with SMT ones too.

try the texas components ASMP series, which is the SMD version of the famous TX2575 zfoil, you can buy it under the vishay precision group brand at digikey as well, but its not the naked version and its considerably more expensibve than buying the naked version directly from texas components. its cheaper than the through hole version too. you cant buy it anywhere else though, so depending where you are the shipping can make it an expensive proposition

the famous TX2575 zfoil

I had try the TX2352 as I/V of Kit A, but revert back to RN55.

TX2352

pros :
- come more out of the speaker
- better location / positioning of the single string
- bass more tight

contra:
- sound little bit harsh / to much in the highs
- more sterile sound

As i rerun the system with the RN55D my first impression was something is missing.. but with RN55D it is more balanced, and what for me the biggest point, it is more playing music, more joy listen to..

Regards
Marcus

I remember reading about these alongside the Caddocks and I also remember they will rake up the cash register too, big-time ;).

try the texas components ASMP series, which is the SMD version of the famous TX2575 zfoil, you can buy it under the vishay precision group brand at digikey as well, but its not the naked version and its considerably more expensibve than buying the naked version directly from texas components. its cheaper than the through hole version too. you cant buy it anywhere else though, so depending where you are the shipping can make it an expensive proposition

Yes he did. Are you running the DACs OCL?

BTW although I thought not possible, the new DAC sounds more life like. It takes transparency and accuracy to a new level. More later.

Best wishes

TC

Only a few mods, try more but revert because at least spencer did a great job.

Some mods of PS by change capacitors (using Panasonic FC/FR) and LDO's (using Belleson) , thats it.

Regards
Marcus

seems to me your trouble is elsewhere and these simply reveal it, or you like some colour; what you call sterile, I call clean/transparent

Agree, sound could be called clean / transparent also, but on other hand for me it tast steril, not make music, just not give me the creeps by listen to .. but this is a matter of tast..

Regards
Marcus

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.