Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2012, 03:44 PM   #191
diyAudio Member

Hi everybody,

I missed all the activity recently on this new dac which I modded a bit as well using one more time my personal airplay upgrade (as I did on FDA-1).
Allows basically iTunes / remote playback of ALAC wirelessly but also from my NAS with FLAC using the native airplay application provided with the NAS (I was by the way very happy to see that I can play FLAC on an airport to then not be handcuff with apple file format all the time ... )
You'll see the airport (blue pcb) on the top left, main advantage here is to use the dedicated i2s port with an extremely short connection, no ribbon cable here as for the FDA-1.
Also the implementation in this dac was quite easy like if it was meant to be upgraded in this way...

Here is a picture of the new setup, works well, great job from Spencer again which I personally congrats for the new design and thanks a lot one more time for his always availability and very good support.
I am at the moment working on an mcu to control the full system before final casing, already working, minor debug remains to be done like implementing nec IR protocol to use an apple remote.

Click the image to open in full size.

The control board in early debug stage few weeks ago...

Alex.
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:29 AM   #192
TC Goh is offline TC Goh  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Alex

I remember reading about your Airport mod earlier. How does the sound compare to that form other forms of transport you use?

I am very keen to try this as it provides very good flexibility!! Does it work on Synology NASs?

Thanks.

Best wishes

TC
Thanks.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:25 AM   #193
diyAudio Member

Hi TC,

I did not have time yet to do extensive tests but it does sound great, I just need to spend time listening here.
Since it is not boxed yet it is on a shelf and I am most of the time still running the FDA-1 now.

Yes, my NAS is a synology as well and DS audio works perfectly with this modification, hence you can play FLAC on the dac using the airport.
This is a great feature ...

Alex.
Old 24th May 2012, 01:15 AM   #194
diyAudio Member

Hi Alex

Can you please upload pictures showing how the connections to the Airport and DAC?

Thanks.

TC
Old 24th May 2012, 10:35 AM   #195
diyAudio Member

Hi TC,

Ok I'll do it probably this week end or early next week as I am out of Taiwan, I am travelling this week in your nice country of HK

Alex.
Old 29th May 2012, 03:20 AM   #196
diyAudio Member

Hi TC,

As discussed I am coming back to you on this, here are some photos.

Sorry it is not that easy to understand just from the photos but basically I am tapping out the I2S bus from the airport and then solder it on a 2 x 5 (90 degree angle) header that is compatible with FDA1-B external I2S footprint.

Resistor is to un-mute the FDA1-B I2S in and large flat soldered wire is just wrapped around the stuff to connect ground everywhere.

The setting is quite good as I can even use FDA1-B original plastic mounting element as it fit right inside one airport hole. As it was done for the aiport

Alex.

Last edited by Alex_twn; 29th May 2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 29th May 2012, 04:44 AM   #197
diyAudio Member

Hi Alex

Will study the pictures and will PM you if I have any further queries....

Thanks very much for your help.

Best wishes

TC
Old 22nd July 2012, 09:10 AM   #198
spencer is offline spencer  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to spencer Send a message via Skype™ to spencer
New simple upgrade details for FDA-1B to become a wireless "AirPlay" DAC here:
FDA-1B + Apple AirPort Express = Wireless DAC (only US$99 + $16 cable)
Old 10th August 2012, 10:47 PM   #199
diyAudio Member

Default Nearly done ... finally

Hi,

I have nearly finished my FDA-1 (I bought the last one from Spencer). After finishing the soldering some months ago, I had it running (naked, on a piece of MDF) in a test system. I did not have the time to test it properly or complete it.

In the last few months I have bought the case, Neutrik connectors (decided not to use the pcb mount ones supplied with the kit), wire and all the other little odds and ends required. Also found a local company able to do the CNC work for me on the back panel.

I hope to have the time in the next few days to switch it on, check if DC voltages and DC offset are still OK and then finally listen to it on my main system.

A few things still need doing. Mainly on the front panel (I need some holes drilled without damaging the panel). I can then hook-up the mains switch, the input selection switch and the leds).
On the rear panel I still have to connect the toslink connector.

It has been a long time since I started, but it has been a lot of fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nearly done.jpg (272.2 KB, 96 views)
Old 20th August 2012, 09:48 AM   #200
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer View Post
New simple upgrade details for FDA-1B to become a wireless "AirPlay" DAC here:
FDA-1B + Apple AirPort Express = Wireless DAC (only US$99 + $16 cable)
hello. can this DAC be used with I2S without the front panel?
as an internal AC in my cd-player, i can not use the front panel.

Hide this!Advertise here!