New PCM1794A Kit – Balanced Mode Update – Good to Fantastic Sound! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2010, 07:46 PM   #11
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by noSmoking View Post
Gee,,,,I get a warning that this file is damaged and cannot be repaired,Any Idea????
Thanks
Are you talking about the link to the manual and schematic? It works fine for me.
http://www.fetaudio.com/wp-content/u...-Manual_R3.pdf
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:16 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

yes all I get is black screen and then says the file is corrupted,lol At least it's not raining here today,lol.
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:24 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Try right clicking and 'save link as' - pdf

then open on your pc using adobe reader
Old 24th September 2010, 12:55 AM   #14
TC Goh is offline TC Goh  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noSmoking View Post
yes all I get is black screen and then says the file is corrupted,lol At least it's not raining here today,lol.
That is strange. If you are not, perhaps you ought to try using IE.

Best of luck...
Old 24th September 2010, 01:17 AM   #15
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi TC Goh,
Works fine with Firefox ...
Quote:
That is strange. If you are not, perhaps you ought to try using IE.
... Ahhh, no. IE goes to two web sites only! One of them is Microsoft, and the other deals with bad software removal.

Hi spencer,
Good luck with your kit Spencer. Looks pretty decent and the PCM 1702 I have (Denon complimentary in DCD-S10 CD player) will be hard to beat. How do you think this kit would sound by comparison?

It's a serious question. Any upgrade will need to be pretty darn good.

-Chris
Old 24th September 2010, 02:21 AM   #16
TC Goh is offline TC Goh  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris ..

.... or firefox ....Click the image to open in full size.

Actually I tried using my ipad and got nosmoking's blank screen. That was why I suggested another browser.

Anyone tried Chrome yet?

Best wishes

TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi TC Goh,

... Ahhh, no. IE goes to two web sites only! One of them is Microsoft, and the other deals with bad software removal.

Hi spencer,
Good luck with your kit Spencer. Looks pretty decent and the PCM 1702 I have (Denon complimentary in DCD-S10 CD player) will be hard to beat. How do you think this kit would sound by comparison?

-Chris
Old 24th September 2010, 03:16 AM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Hi TC Goh,
Quote:
Anyone tried Chrome yet?
Well, this is O.T., but I'll answer.

Chrome works just fine. It's another good browser that I use for some things. The user manual loaded just fine.

This is on an XP Home machine with all updates current (except for Java in Firefox).

-Chris
Old 24th September 2010, 03:24 AM   #18
spencer is offline spencer  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to spencer Send a message via Skype™ to spencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi TC Goh,

Hi spencer,

-Chris
For DCD-S10, I have little hear experience and thus cannot comment on it's sound but I think it is a good CD Player. I have Tascam DA-60II DAT player which use the PCM1702 DIP also. The sound is quite good especially when you play back DAT tape.

Since the I/V attracts lots of attention especially Zen I/V, here is my summary of my actual measurement of the input impedance of jfet I/V and PCM1794A Transistor I/V.

1. Zen I/V: about 15 ohm per Nelson Pass
2. Jfet I/V (using two K369BL in parallel, 15 ohm, 60mVpp at PCM63 output - 4mA pp, measured by scope Tek 2467B); same level as Zen I/V.
3. 1794A Transistor I/V: 2.5 ohm (measured 20mVpp for 7.8mApp). I use a 4.99 ohm series resistor here and thus PCM1794A will see a 7.5 ohm resistor at it's output for each Iout pin. Also I set the DC bias at the input of Transistor I/V at 0.35 to 0.36Vdc. This is to prevent the Iout pin to drive to a negative voltage at is output. Note a negative dc voltage may cause conduction of the reverse protection diode inside PCM1794A output pins and create excessive harmonic distortion.

I would say, the transistor I/V is many steps forward to the jfet I/V that I have in terms of low input impedance. This is actual measurement and I do not do much estimation by calculation!

Thus I can also say this transistor I/V is very good fit for DAC with weaker driving capability like PCM1702 and PCM1704 etc.... but the output level has to be adjusted again due to the lower Iout of old DAC at only 2mApp.

Spencer
Old 24th September 2010, 03:38 AM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Spencer,
Quote:
For DCD-S10, I have little hear experience and thus cannot comment on it's sound but I think it is a good CD Player.
The electronics are very good, the transport is a Sony KSS-240A type. Too bad this CD player didn't use those really nice NEC CD transports. This machine is very close to DCD-3000 and a few others with the centered tray.

Quote:
I have Tascam DA-60II DAT player which use the PCM1702 DIP also.
Tascam's DAT machines can be very good. The main trick with any DAT machine is transport alignment to keep the BLER rate down. If you have your's serviced. make sure they align the tape path carefully, along with everything else. Once that is done, the DSP and DAC section can to their jobs properly. CD players are somewhat easier to keep in tune by comparison.

Most digital media products use an op amp for the I/V job. Some work fine and others not so much. So this project is using a BJT for I/V? I hadn't examined the schematic in any detail yet. Speed shouldn't be an issue with a transistor.

-Chris
Old 24th September 2010, 03:49 AM   #20
spencer is offline spencer  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to spencer Send a message via Skype™ to spencer
A friend of mine own DCD-S10 may be 20 yrs or more and he is still happy about it.

I have two Tascam DA60MKII and both are low hours. I do not know how to service it but I only check the drop out LED and I see no problem and only blink few times at start or end of a recording track only.

The PCM1794A DAC use a BJT I/V Toshiba Transistor 2SA1358Y mid power transistor to take the high current bias and heat. It is high Ft and low noise part and I think it is good for Audio use.

Hide this!Advertise here!