New PCM1794A Kit – Balanced Mode Update – Good to Fantastic Sound! - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th February 2012, 09:48 PM   #141
diyAudio Member

Thank you Marcus
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:57 PM   #142
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Edel is also offering a network media renderer, i.e. You are able to complete the DAC to an Audio streaming DAC - the module costs about 560 CHF. I will try this solution but first I have to wait for the PCM1794's.

Manfred
Old 3rd March 2012, 07:36 AM   #143
UMarcus is offline UMarcus  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb041157 View Post
Hi,

Edel is also offering a network media renderer, i.e. You are able to complete the DAC to an Audio streaming DAC - the module costs about 560 CHF. I will try this solution but first I have to wait for the PCM1794's.

Manfred
Hi,
that sounds interessting, please keep in mind that you need some kind of "Adapter" to connect the boards.

Regards
Marcus
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:37 PM   #144
diyAudio Member

FYI
Spencer had design a new board FDA1B and published manual and pictures on the homepage.

First review give the impression to me spencer did again a great job and consequently came up with further developing of FDA1A, especialy the digital part it self, which IMO FDA1A give most potential of advacment, and optional add on boards sound great to me.

Regards
Marcus
Old 26th April 2012, 02:01 PM   #145
TC Goh is offline TC Goh  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

It seems Spencer is focusing on the balanced version only. This is probably right as the balanced version sounds much better but of course, it carries a higher price tag. Anyway, I have taken delivery of the new FDA-1B kit.

I have completed the soldering, which took a day and a half of flux-filled fun, and initial listen tests suggest this board blows the FDA-1 away. I will try the AD1896 to see how it changes the sound later.

I need to finish up and will then listen to the set after a short burn-in.

Initial impressions seem to suggest that Spencer has another winner....

Best wishes

TC
Old 26th April 2012, 02:13 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Goh View Post
It seems Spencer is focusing on the balanced version only. This is probably right as the balanced version sounds much better but of course, it carries a higher price tag. Anyway, I have taken delivery of the new FDA-1B kit.

I have completed the soldering, which took a day and a half of flux-filled fun, and initial listen tests suggest this board blows the FDA-1 away. I will try the AD1896 to see how it changes the sound later.

I need to finish up and will then listen to the set after a short burn-in.

Initial impressions seem to suggest that Spencer has another winner....

Best wishes

TC
Hi, great news, did you comapre to balanced or single A Kit ?

Please keep us well informed about the AD1896 and other findings

Thanks,
regards
Marcus
Old 26th April 2012, 02:36 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

Hi, I compared using the Balanced version. What version do you have?

Best wishes

TC
Old 26th April 2012, 02:46 PM   #148
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi, I compared using the Balanced version. What version do you have?

Best wishes

TC
Hi, i have the balanced A Kit Version, but with additional board using as I2S source for the dac, clear imrpovment compared to on board CS8416.. refere post #138 ... this is why i guess the B Kit will be a winner by using WM Chip as default I2S source.. and additional possibilities to process I2S signals..

Regards
Marcus
Old 26th April 2012, 03:21 PM   #149
diyAudio Member

The I2S source will open the DAC to all sorts of possibilities. Spencer has experimented with XMOS USB input. For me, this would be ideal as I can do away with my transport and stream from my computer or better the NAS!!

As I said, the new DAC does sound much better, more open and airy.

Spencer said he went to many versions to arrive at this one. I think part of the improvement is due to his choice of the WM8804. I think he has done a lot to improve the overall design and has also included SMT pads on most IV resistors. In addition to TH, we can now experiment with SMT ones too.

I will be boxing the DAC and will then enjoy it!!!

What mods did you make to Spencer DAC?

Best wishes

TC
Old 26th April 2012, 05:04 PM   #150
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In addition to TH, we can now experiment with SMT ones too.
try the texas components ASMP series, which is the SMD version of the famous TX2575 zfoil, you can buy it under the vishay precision group brand at digikey as well, but its not the naked version and its considerably more expensibve than buying the naked version directly from texas components. its cheaper than the through hole version too. you cant buy it anywhere else though, so depending where you are the shipping can make it an expensive proposition

Hide this!Advertise here!