New PCM1794A Kit – Balanced Mode Update – Good to Fantastic Sound! - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2012, 02:16 PM   #111
TC Goh is offline TC Goh  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Zibra

I haven't personally but I do share your view that the choice of regulators do affect sound. Perhaps you can try using a LM317T regulator too. I know these do sound a little faster and with more punch. Also, they are cheaper too

It should be interesting... Keep us posted as to whay you decide to do...

Best wishes

TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibra View Post
Anyone of you tried other regulators than those 2 mentioned at documentation? Im thinking of replacing it by some kind of discrete regulator like supertedddyreg, DEXA etc.
Any hint? Im really curious for resyult and which one to choose? Also do you believe it will change sound for both Cirrus and PCM? Anyone tested it?...
Old 30th January 2012, 02:21 PM   #112
spencer is offline spencer  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to spencer Send a message via Skype™ to spencer
Sorry, LM317 is not direct replacement for TA7805 in FDA-1.
Old 30th January 2012, 02:33 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Hi Spencer

Of course you are right. Sorry for not being clearer but I think Zibra may be aware of this.

Best wishes

TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer View Post
Sorry, LM317 is not direct replacement for TA7805 in FDA-1.
Old 30th January 2012, 02:43 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I will post my observation. Actually friend of mine is preparing DIY regulator for me. Something like Teddyreg without any resistors. Ill try to make as clean power as possible
Already tried Rubycon ZA instead of Silmic for PCM power supply and found it better without somewhat bloated bass in comparision.
I will be also experiencing with another filter capacitors instead of Russian ( ordered silver mica, amtrans and polystyrene) and conversion resistors (Caddocks).
Spencer made great dac. No doubt about it. You can just buy it, plug it and forget it However for hardcore and curious modders its great field for experiencing and achieve even more nirvana)
Strong recommendation for that dac!
Old 30th January 2012, 03:09 PM   #115
jambul is offline jambul  Belgium
diyAudio Member

dear spencer,

Have you try to used the asrc/multi rate freq or using external clock as master clock?

Thanks

Denis
Old 30th January 2012, 04:34 PM   #116
arupg is offline arupg  Latvia
diyAudio Member

I would be very keen to compare the full-scale FDA with my reference setup, i.e. [metronome kalista ref + accuphase dc-801] vs. FDA (yeah! its totally unfair from the monetary point-of-view) but nevertheless I just wanna see where things stand ...

And as Zibra correctly points out, Spencer's FDA is excellent as standalone but there's room for lots of experimentation to change & suit the flavor for an individual's system, music & taste ... which is by itself a superb feat !!
Voila ! ...

Last edited by arupg; 30th January 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 31st January 2012, 07:11 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

I guess the next mod, if the results of the digital side are +ve, will be the I/V ones... Whoa ….. That will get very interesting.

I googled Teddyreg and I think they are using the standard LM317 too. This should be a very interesting experiment.

The Silmics are a very interesting e-cap. Apparently, it uses natural fibers (Silk?) in its construction. In my system (all tubes), the Silmics actually improves the bass volume, albeit, with a little less control, as you have observed. Maybe I should try some OSCons.

I do second you in saying that Spencer made a great DAC. This DAC is already capable right out of the gate (Silmic, Dale, Russian PIO and all) but can be 'customized' to a degree to match the rest of the system to arrive closer to the individual’s musical taste. I guess this is what drives passionate (aka crazy!!!) Diyers.

Keep us posted, please ...

TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibra View Post
Yeah, I will post my observation. Actually friend of mine is preparing DIY regulator for me. Something like Teddyreg without any resistors. Ill try to make as clean power as possible
Already tried Rubycon ZA instead of Silmic for PCM power supply and found it better without somewhat bloated bass in comparision.
I will be also experiencing with another filter capacitors instead of Russian ( ordered silver mica, amtrans and polystyrene) and conversion resistors (Caddocks).
Spencer made great dac. No doubt about it. You can just buy it, plug it and forget it However for hardcore and curious modders its great field for experiencing and achieve even more nirvana)
Strong recommendation for that dac!
Old 31st January 2012, 07:32 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

Wow!!!

A 59 kg transport (that looks like moon base alpha) with its isolated 5 battery pack and 8 regulators PS feeding the FDA-1!!!! Talk about Goliath and David!!!

I am speechless ....

Anyway, it will be an interesting, albeit and unfair one, comparison between the DC-801 and the FDA.

TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by arupg View Post
I would be very keen to compare the full-scale FDA with my reference setup, i.e. [metronome kalista ref + accuphase dc-801] vs. FDA (yeah! its totally unfair from the monetary point-of-view) but nevertheless I just wanna see where things stand ...

And as Zibra correctly points out, Spencer's FDA is excellent as standalone but there's room for lots of experimentation to change & suit the flavor for an individual's system, music & taste ... which is by itself a superb feat !!
Voila ! ...
Old 31st January 2012, 11:47 PM   #119
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Default Critical resistors

Can anyone point out what are the really critical resistors. I'd like to try changing those to TX-2575 once I buy the DAC...
Old 1st February 2012, 01:59 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

I believe Spencer uses Dales for most resistors in the signal path and he once told me that the critical I/V resistors are the 475ohms at locations R1, R2, R18, R19.

On a different set up, I compared the Dales to Welwyn's Metal film precision 0.25W,0.1% resistors. They sound clearer (more analytical) but not as warm.
Trade offs, I guess...

Best wishes

TC

Hide this!Advertise here!